Gibson Brands Forums

sprint run vs commemorative model

hoross

Hoross,

By the "commemarotive model" you mean the 2014 ones with the logo at the 12th fret, very little, just the headstock script and the zero fret nut. When I bought my Trad last year I had the chance to buy the 2014 or 2015 SR model. I decided to go with the 2014, despite it costing a bit more. The SR was a nice guitar, the script didn't really bother me (I'm not a fan of it, but you can't see it when your playing!)but I had concerns about the nut and possible resale value due to the negative feelings towards the 2015 models. Sad really because the SR I played was a very nice guitar.

Ian

In addition to what Ian said; the Sprint Run ("SR") guitars were (possibly / probably) a reaction to poor sales of the initial 2015 run, which changed the specifications of Gibson guitars too much for many players. Thus they created a half-and-half alternative, which some more 'traditional' appointments seen on ranges in previous years.

Commemorative is much as Ian also said; the 2014 USA range were celebrating the 120th Anniversary of the whole Gibson brand. Custom Shop guitars had a special toggle switch plate.

USA guitars had the unique 12th fret inlay, which is similar to the 30th Anniversary (actually on the 17th fret), and 40th Anniversary guitars (these were both based on the anniversaries of the Les Paul model):

Gi9399f.JPGgibson-Les-Paul-40th-Anniversary-Limited-1991-Ebony-Black-big.jpg?1467293170

I guess as the 2015's were celebrating Les Pauls' 100th birthday year; these are also sort of commemorative...?

Other than the 2015 example; "Sprint Run" could also apply to some special edition models, where only a certain number of a particular variation of the base instrument are made and sold.

In addition to what Ian said; the Sprint Run ("SR") guitars were (possibly / probably) a reaction to poor sales of the initial 2015 run, which changed the specifications of Gibson guitars too much for many players. Thus they created a half-and-half alternative, which some more 'traditional' appointments seen on ranges in previous years.

Commemorative is much as Ian also said; the 2014 USA range were celebrating the 120th Anniversary of the whole Gibson brand. Custom Shop guitars had a special toggle switch plate.

USA guitars had the unique 12th fret inlay, which is similar to the 30th Anniversary (actually on the 17th fret), and 40th Anniversary guitars (these were both based on the anniversaries of the Les Paul model):

Gi9399f.JPGgibson-Les-Paul-40th-Anniversary-Limited-1991-Ebony-Black-big.jpg?1467293170

I guess as the 2015's were celebrating Les Pauls' 100th birthday year; these are also sort of commemorative...?

Other than the 2015 example; "Sprint Run" could also apply to some special edition models, where only a certain number of a particular variation of the base instrument are made and sold.

Sooo correct me if I'm wrong,,, but the 2014 gibsons were 120th anniversary????? If so why doesn't my 2014 custom custom shop have the 120 anniversary logo???? Or the toggle switch plate you speak of???

Sooo correct me if I'm wrong,,, but the 2014 gibsons were 120th anniversary????? If so why doesn't my 2014 custom custom shop have the 120 anniversary logo???? Or the toggle switch plate you speak of???

Your Les Paul Custom won't have the 120th anniv. fretmarker because, as Pesh mentions, it was the USA-line models which had the commemorative inlay. The Custom isn't a USA-line model. Similarly I think I'm correct in saying that it doesn't have the rear cover because, confusingly, although the Custom is made in the Custom Shop I think only the Custom Shop re-issues had the cover.

I could be wrong about the cover. I have to admit I lost quite a bit of interest in Gibson's offerings in 2014.

Pip.

Your Les Paul Custom won't have the 120th anniv. fretmarker because, as Pesh mentions, it was the USA-line models which had the commemorative inlay. The Custom isn't a USA-line model. Similarly I think I'm correct in saying that it doesn't have the rear cover because, confusingly, although the Custom is made in the Custom Shop I think only the Custom Shop re-issues had the cover.

I could be wrong about the cover. I have to admit I lost quite a bit of interest in Gibson's offerings in 2014.

Pip.

I think you've got it there, Pip; it would have been the historics / Reissues that had the plate. The 'modern' (?) custom guitars seem to have the standard black plastic.

Each of the different Gibson brands (USA, Custom, and Memphis) celebrated in different ways.

Archived