Gibson Brands Forums

Most Recent addition

Bassilisk

Wow! I didn't realize how long I've been away. That LP with Bi-Sonics is hot! And of course, Kevinator's LP "Strat" is a joy to behold.

Lot's that went and is going on, but after a very long drought (for me at any rate) I finally added something to the herd. I have a '76 P that's pretty awesome, but I've been wanting another with a J neck for some time.

It all started innocently enough with something innocuous when I saw the gold anodized P pg on Reverb for a price I just couldn't pass on. Always wanted one. A couple months went by until I saw the next step - a rarely seen parted out AVRI body. It was a 2014 '63 P alder body in Seminole Red nitro. The dominoes started to fall. Hipshot vintage reverse tuners, Fender vintage threaded saddle bridge, close tolerance CTS pots with a paper and oil cap (had to finally try one), vintage 58 Tele knobs and the original thumb rest from my 1970 Tele (bought new BTW). Went with the Aguilar AG-4P60 pickup and topped off with a Warmoth maple/rosewood J neck with slim profile and vintage tint.

Had it for a couple months now, used on a number of gigs and man this bass just can't disappoint. A joy to hear and play.

I just love when a build in my mind comes to successful fruition! Can't put it down - a keeper in every way.

post-34891-053942800 1466977759_thumb.jpg

post-34891-087232600 1466977608_thumb.jpg

Wow! I didn't realize how long I've been away. That LP with Bi-Sonics is hot! And of course, Kevinator's LP "Strat" is a joy to behold.

Lot's that went and is going on, but after a very long drought (for me at any rate) I finally added something to the herd. I have a '76 P that's pretty awesome, but I've been wanting another with a J neck for some time.

It all started innocently enough with something innocuous when I saw the gold anodized P pg on Reverb for a price I just couldn't pass on. Always wanted one. A couple months went by until I saw the next step - a rarely seen parted out AVRI body. It was a 2014 '63 P alder body in Seminole Red nitro. The dominoes started to fall. Hipshot vintage reverse tuners, Fender vintage threaded saddle bridge, close tolerance CTS pots with a paper and oil cap (had to finally try one), vintage 58 Tele knobs and the original thumb rest from my 1970 Tele (bought new BTW). Went with the Aguilar AG-4P60 pickup and topped off with a Warmoth maple/rosewood J neck with slim profile and vintage tint.

Had it for a couple months now, used on a number of gigs and man this bass just can't disappoint. A joy to hear and play.

I just love when a build in my mind comes to successful fruition! Can't put it down - a keeper in every way.

post-34891-053942800 1466977759_thumb.jpg

post-34891-087232600 1466977608_thumb.jpg

Nice to hear from you! That's a beautiful P Bassmsp_thumbup.gif. I've been thinning my heard over the past year, and I'm down to the 3 pup LP, the LP Double Cut, the Swamp Rat EB3L, and 2 old Aria Pro II 32's. I sold everything that I just didn't use or play out with. Now (as you always manage to do) you've got me thinking about another project bass, and what fun they are to build! Thanks a heap! msp_cursing.gif.

Nice to hear from you! That's a beautiful P Bassmsp_thumbup.gif. I've been thinning my heard over the past year, and I'm down to the 3 pup LP, the LP Double Cut, the Swamp Rat EB3L, and 2 old Aria Pro II 32's. I sold everything that I just didn't use or play out with. Now (as you always manage to do) you've got me thinking about another project bass, and what fun they are to build! Thanks a heap! msp_cursing.gif.

Thank you thank you. I definitely need to do some of what you did and purge.

It sounds like you left the creme de la creme though - and that's the way it should be!!

Like I said, I had been perving for another P for some years and the stars finally aligned in my favor.

Pretty much every build I end up with happens bit by bit over (much too long) a time. I also hem and haw

(read: get very particular) about every single piece so that it ultimately is exactly what I want. I was just playing it, and for me the marker is when you leave a bass alone for a few days then pick it up and you still say, Whoa, this is rockin'!

Still, with a build you never really know until it all comes together. I'm very pleased with this one.

You have some killer basses K, and I'll bet every one of them does that for you!

So I will offer my 2 cents. Think long and hard about another possible herd member, and slowly begin chipping away at it.

See what's reusable in the ol' parts box too. [wink]

Before you know it, there it is....[woot][lol]=D>

Archived