Gibson Brands Forums

AER 60 vs Marshall AS100D high noon shoot-out

EuroAussie

I remember when i did the demo at home of the AER Compact 60 Murph asked me to do a recording in a live setting.

So here it is, should be a decent comparisement as its in the same venue, same songs, same set up, the main difference being the guitars. Also its pretty quiet as it was almost empty at that time of the evening on both occasions.

Main difference that with the Marshall I used the maple J-150 while for the AER I tried the mahogany Southern Jumbo.

To my ears the difference is signficant, the Marshall is brighter and more midrange focused while the AER to me sounds much warmer and cleaner, but to be honest I like the sound of both in their own way.

What about your thoughts, where do you hear the differences, and do you have a preferance of the two, and why ?

Would be curious to get the opinions of the board.

cheers,

EA

ps: best through headphones at 720p

Marshall AS 100D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgMLUSoeW3k

AER Compact 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWHsucJd4A&feature=youtu.be

Just one amateur's opinion, but for me it's "hands-down" with the AER. Maybe part of it's the SJ hog showing its warmth and dark tone, but I hear a big difference in the two sounds. Not a thing in the world wrong with the Marshall. Sounds great to my ears, unless I'm making a direct comparison with this other unit. The sound coming out of the AER is deep, broad, and it resonates. Even with a "live" percussionist, the Marshall doesn't measure-up to the AER (to my ears). BTW, enjoyed both videos. Good covers of a classic song.

I'm so tempted to buy an AER 60/3. I recently sold an original SWR California Blonde. Awesome amp, but just overkill and way too heavy. I've owned an ASD50 and it was just "ok", and never liked the artificial Fishman sound. But then there's the part of me that honestly thinks I really don't need an acoustic amp at all! I don't play in a band anymore, and am just psyching myself up to have the balls to start doing open mic nights solo. Usually you don't need an amp for those, and just show up with your guitar and a DI, and even most of the time you don't need a DI!

Well done, man.

I'll have to agree in this test the AER won.

But, in it's defense, the Marshall vid DID have that annoying drummer.

Glad to see you fired his a$$......................

[tongue]

Awesome job and I tip my hat to you good man.

Living the dream.

Yes, the consensus is pretty clear. The AER is in a completely different stratosphere, although I certainly will not be selling the Marshall as its still a great workhorse and in its own way i do like the tone it delivers. Also I think too be fair the warmth of the SJ probably helped the AER's cause.

Got to say one really distinct feature about this amp is just how the volume projects and spread in a bigger venue. Friday nite we played in an outdoor couftyard, surrounded by 6 storey buildings, and when i heard it played from around 30 ft away (barman was a player) the sound was almost like a concert hall. The space had great natural reverb but was floored how BIG the presence was, and I had tje amp below 5 on the master dial !

Oh and Murph, the drummer is a guy thats starting out and Im giving him a bit of a chance to sit in with me .... he has improved a lot since then, Ive been quite hard on him.

Will do another video sometimes so hopefully you can be a little more easy on the lad.

Thanks for listening gents.

EA

Oh and Murph, the drummer is a guy thats starting out and Im giving him a bit of a chance to sit in with me .... he has improved a lot since then, Ive been quite hard on him.

Will do another video sometimes so hopefully you can be a little more easy on the lad.

I surely didn't mean to come off as being dis-respectful of the young man. I'm sure he is a talented fellow.

The reason I went all acoustic many years ago is because I FIND ALL DRUMMERS ANNOYING............

[biggrin]

[biggrin]

<_<

Interesting , I also liked the sound of the AER . But I also have an AER and a Marshall AS50D and I love both amps I find the Marshsll works better with the Baggs Element on my J45 and also for solo fingerstyle but the AER is a great piece of kit and I sometimes use both together in stereo via an delay unit . My AER gets used in a large old church during worship and give a huge sound for its size . Would love to hear this again in a room played with the same guitar . Thanks for posting

The reason I went all acoustic many years ago is because I FIND ALL DRUMMERS ANNOYING............

<_<

I do find it massivelly irritating when he just starts banging away on that bongo or whatever its called before and after the show ...drives me nuts. He doesnt get what the fuss is about. Its incredibly annoying in isolation and those tribal beats .... unless you smoked a few and are in a rain forrest with dready guys and ladies with unshaved armpits jumping around to the sound of this beat.

Then its great.

I liked the AER in the comparison and I own a Marshall AS100D! But, there are so many variables that I'm not sure one can be definitive in either one's favor. I would think that having both amps makes for a great arsenal for a gigging musician as I've heard my Marshall with an Epiphone Dot plugged into it and it rocked AND it handles a vocal mic pretty well too. As for the drummer I coincidentally had a young guy show up to play with my regular ensemble last night. We've had three other guys sit in over the years and had to excuse all of them because they just couldn't modulate their playing to an acoustic, unplugged environment. He had enough of a clue to not show up with a full drum kit (as others have done) which immediately impressed my lead guitar player (who has final say when it comes to drummers as he hates them too). After one session I think this guy has some potential as he knew when to put aside his congas for some shakers or some claves. Plus I asked him if he was playing with any other bands as I think it's important for drummers to have an opportunity to get their full ya ya's out with a loud electric band or they will always be jonesing to. He does. Now the big question is if he thought enough of what we do to sit in over the long haul and really make a contribution to the songs we do, which are 90% original compositions. In a transient, tourist town that is a rarity since "the long haul" is usually only two years or so. But, back to the topic at hand, if I had to choose based on the vids I'd pick the AER without hesitation.

Yeah ... its a real challenge for this guy that i let sit in as he's been bashing away tribal beats for many years but now has to learn how to control everything he does to fit the song. That has been a real challenging part as he loves going 'freestyle' and there are some tracks where he can let go a bit like Folsom Prison. But i have to say he's reallly trying hard and putting a lot of discipline and dedication to making sure the percussion adds rather than takes away from the song.

He even bought himself a sort of electronic single drum that makes all sort of noises and now he can combine the two to have a bass and snare drum combo, and it actually is starting to sound good.

I liked the AER in the comparison and I own a Marshall AS100D! But, there are so many variables that I'm not sure one can be definitive in either one's favor. I would think that having both amps makes for a great arsenal for a gigging musician as I've heard my Marshall with an Epiphone Dot plugged into it and it rocked AND it handles a vocal mic pretty well too. As for the drummer I coincidentally had a young guy show up to play with my regular ensemble last night. We've had three other guys sit in over the years and had to excuse all of them because they just couldn't modulate their playing to an acoustic, unplugged environment. He had enough of a clue to not show up with a full drum kit (as others have done) which immediately impressed my lead guitar player (who has final say when it comes to drummers as he hates them too). After one session I think this guy has some potential as he knew when to put aside his congas for some shakers or some claves. Plus I asked him if he was playing with any other bands as I think it's important for drummers to have an opportunity to get their full ya ya's out with a loud electric band or they will always be jonesing to. He does. Now the big question is if he thought enough of what we do to sit in over the long haul and really make a contribution to the songs we do, which are 90% original compositions. In a transient, tourist town that is a rarity since "the long haul" is usually only two years or so. But, back to the topic at hand, if I had to choose based on the vids I'd pick the AER without hesitation.

I surely didn't mean to come off as being dis-respectful of the young man. I'm sure he is a talented fellow.

[biggrin]

[biggrin]

<_<

never jammed with a harp player I guess huh? LOL!

What do you mean ? Nut sure if I get the question.

Meaning: when you use / plugin a set of headphones, does all the sound then switch to the headphones and thereby muting the sound to the speaker?

Meaning: when you use / plugin a set of headphones, does all the sound then switch to the headphones and thereby muting the sound to the speaker?

Right ....... actually havent tried that as I normally use my wireless in ear monitor to hear the vocals better, with amp also on and projecting. But im pretty sure thats what would happen.

Right ....... actually havent tried that as I normally use my wireless in ear monitor to hear the vocals better, with amp also on and projecting. But im pretty sure thats what would happen.

yes that's exactly the situation I'm thinking of as I often do the same as you.

I guess one way is plugging into a small mixer then into the AER? (eg: using the phone out of the mixer for monitors?)

Archived