Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Fuller's Custom Gibson AJ Performer Vintage Specs?

thegreatgumbino

Had the chance to play a couple of these in store today. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a spec sheet on it. Pretty certain it's an Adirondack top. It has rosewood b&s, grover open back tuners and what appears to be a bone nut & saddle. The two I played were consistent and very nice.

Anyone know where to find anymore info?

They posted them on their facebook page on June 3rd . Honestly, I was quite disappointed with the sales staff's knowledge of them. I kept asking for a spec sheet and was told there was none. I was just told they were built to Mike Fuller's specs to match his old Gibson. The sales guy finally agreed with me that it was in fact an Adirondack top. He said it was hide glue, but can't tell me if it's only at the neck joint or the whole thing. Nor did he know any specifics about the bracing pattern. The price quoted to me out the door after tax was $2,800.

Best I can tell, it's a basic AJ like this out of production version with added Adirondack top, however it doesn't have the extended slot saddle:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Advanced-Jumbo.aspx

Here's what they had to say on Facebook on June 3rd:

THE RETURN OF A LEGEND!!!

FULLER'S GUITAR ADVANCE JUMBO

PERFORMER!

ONLY 10 MADE!!

3CbycWf.jpg

On June 7th, they posted the following pic and that only 7 were left.

ZIQXWdT.jpg

When I was there last Saturday, the salesman said only one was left, but when I pushed about wanting to A-B a couple he pulled another out of the back. Both played great and setup was perfect. I moved to mahogany guitars about 4-5 years ago after deciding Rosewood wasn't my taste. This was the first Rosewood guitar I've played in that time that I thought about taking home with me. I'm not comfortable with spending that kind of money on something without knowing more about the specs.

Not likely you'll get any further spec info short of talking with Mike, seeing as how it's a 10-piece limited edition he spec'd. But $2800 out the door for any new AJ sounds like a pretty fair deal to my ears, assuming the guitar sounds right to your ears. G'luck!

Had the chance to play a couple of these in store today. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a spec sheet on it. Pretty certain it's an Adirondack top. It has rosewood b&s, grover open back tuners and what appears to be a bone nut & saddle. The two I played were consistent and very nice.

Anyone know where to find anymore info?

They posted them on their facebook page on June 3rd . Honestly, I was quite disappointed with the sales staff's knowledge of them. I kept asking for a spec sheet and was told there was none. I was just told they were built to Mike Fuller's specs to match his old Gibson. The sales guy finally agreed with me that it was in fact an Adirondack top. He said it was hide glue, but can't tell me if it's only at the neck joint or the whole thing. Nor did he know any specifics about the bracing pattern. The price quoted to me out the door after tax was $2,800.

Best I can tell, it's a basic AJ like this out of production version with added Adirondack top, however it doesn't have the extended slot saddle:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Advanced-Jumbo.aspx

Here's what they had to say on Facebook on June 3rd:

3CbycWf.jpg

On June 7th, they posted the following pic and that only 7 were left.

ZIQXWdT.jpg

When I was there last Saturday, the salesman said only one was left, but when I pushed about wanting to A-B a couple he pulled another out of the back. Both played great and setup was perfect. I moved to mahogany guitars about 4-5 years ago after deciding Rosewood wasn't my taste. This was the first Rosewood guitar I've played in that time that I thought about taking home with me. I'm not comfortable with spending that kind of money on something without knowing more about the specs.

You'll have to be forgiving with the staff about custom gibsons ...That AJ was the first custom spec guitar they got probably since 2012(Gibson closed the Montana Custom Shop)

The Fuller's team are awesome

JC

I have to agree, the Fuller team is awesome. I purchased a Fullers Gibson Custom Shop 1964 Reissue about 7 years ago and it is by far my favorite guitar. (In Cherry sunburst). I found Jeremy Fuller to be well versed in the background of what they had Gibson build into the guitar to make its reissue be like the original. He communicated both by phone and by email with me when I bought the guitar sight unseen from Chicagoland from their Texas store.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I have to agree, the Fuller team is awesome. I purchased a Fullers Gibson Custom Shop 1964 J45 Reissue about 7 years ago and it is by far my favorite guitar. (In Cherry sunburst). I found Jeremy Fuller to be well versed in the background of what they had Gibson build into the guitar to make its reissue be like the original. He communicated both by phone and by email with me when I bought the guitar sight unseen from Chicagoland from their Texas store.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Don't get me wrong, I think the Fuller's staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. We're very fortunate to have such a great store in Houston. My frustration came with the lack of information on a "Fuller's Custom" model. I would think it would be a commonplace to have folks ask for specs on a store specific custom shop model like this. Unfortunately, Mike wasn't in that day, or I would have asked him.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing what you'll find bumping around the internet. That's me and Yano of Fuller's. When I bought the guitar they gave me the spec sheet as well, so hope this helps.

It's been a long search for a nice acoustic, and I was intent on buying a D-18. I got to meet Mike Fuller, and he pulled this guitar off the wall and started playing it and he suggested I give it a try. After trying different guitars, (Collings, Taylor, Martin, and Gibson) I left the store. But the AJ spoke to me so I went back and got it. The staff at Fuller's did a great job helping me find a guitar that fit my needs, and I have a hard time putting this AJ down. If you get a chance, play one.

post-79587-027132600 1468286767_thumb.jpg

post-79587-099213000 1468288212_thumb.jpg

Amazing what you'll find bumping around the internet. That's me and Yano of Fuller's. When I bought the guitar they gave me the spec sheet as well, so hope this helps.

It's been a long search for a nice acoustic, and I was intent on buying a D-18. I got to meet Mike Fuller, and he pulled this guitar off the wall and started playing it and he suggested I give it a try. After trying different guitars, (Collings, Taylor, Martin, and Gibson) I left the store. But the AJ spoke to me so I went back and got it. The staff at Fuller's did a great job helping me find a guitar that fit my needs, and I have a hard time putting this AJ down. If you get a chance, play one.

Congrats, Ricebird! That is a fine guitar. I was very tempted to buy one myself. Thanks for sharing the spec sheet.

That is the best spec sheet I've ever seen for a Gibson guitar. More like a build sheet from Martin's Custom Shop. Very cool of Mr. Fuller to provide that for you. Lots of good info in there, too.

Enjoy that AJ.

Archived