Gibson Brands Forums

Orbison returns!

jaxson50

Jax... good material.

I found it interesting the comment about his musical reflection at age 50.

It reminded me of a totally different sort of man of a different era who wrote: "When I reached thirty I looked back on my past. The previous victories were not due to my having mastered strategy. Perhaps it was natural ability, or the order of heaven, or that other schools' strategy was inferior.

"After that I studied morning and evening searching for the principle, and came to realize the Way of strategy when I was fifty."

Miyamoto Musashi pretty well nailed how one grows. In his case, it was the way of the Samurai warrior:

"It is said the warrior's is the twofold Way of the pen and sword, and he should have a taste for both Ways.

"Even if a man has no natural ability he can be a warrior by sticking assiduously to both divisions of the Way."

Frankly I think there's something true in both of those comments by Musashi that is worth consideration by musicians in following their own "way." It's never so simple as a single set of skills that makes one what it is that defines one's essence.

I think Orbison somehow learned deeper things than pickin', and it reflected in unique songwriting that too often is forgotten in light of that incredible voice that itself came from a special sort of enlightenment.

For what it's worth, Go Rin No Sho in text is on the memory stick (flash drive) I carry daily for work.

m

Archived