Gibson Brands Forums

60's Roadworn strat?

Hendrixlvr

Hi folks....not exactly a Gibson topic, but I thought my custom shop '58 jr might buy me some slack here lol..... I have the opportunity to pick up a 60's road worn strat (I know they are debatable but I like 'em lol), but not sure if this one is original or a copy....

My question is do all roadworn 's have the exact same wear pattern? This one is just a little different than one's I've seen online....I'd post pics but the forum keeps telling me I've reached my upload limit lol

Now now, play nice.

I've looked all over, and some say this, some say that. E-mail Fender?

It's a good question, actually. It'd be weird if they were all exactly the same. Then again, it'd cut costs, I suppose.

You should be able to run the serial number and find out. I'm sure there are wear pattern variations. I can't imagine it would be worth anyone's time to fake an $800 guitar, but I guess you never know.

Yea that's kind of what I'm thinking. It would be more trouble than it's worth to fake a 'fake' basically...

Well, figure it would cost $400 in parts to make a decent strat. Then there's the labor with that paint wearing, etc. Profit margin's looking pretty slim. If I was gonna fake one, I'd get a 60s serial number, ya know?

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm pretty sure the wear marks are not the same. I've seen two side by side and they were completely different. One had hardly any wear on it at all.

msp_biggrin.gif

Chan Man!?!?!?! How are you? I haven't seen you around for ages.

Chan Man!?!?!?! How are you? I haven't seen you around for ages.

Howdy Farns!! I'm doing well, sir, thanks for asking, and you??

It recently dawned on me that it had, in fact, been ages since I'd been here and needed to stop by more often :)

Hendrix: any particular reason you're suspicious/curious?

Yea. It's been for sale for a while on kijiji, (usually the Olympic white ones go super fast) and the wear patterns look close, but are just slightly off (like someone was looking at a picture and tried to copy), from alot of the older ones Ive seen online. The seller says he's barely used it and it's just been sitting in his room, and yet the back of the neck looks almost black, like it's been played forever rather than just unfinished wood that's been sitting around.... I know the newer ones have very little wear, so there's quite alot of difference between the older and the newer ones, this is one of the older ones with heavy wear. Plus the serial number, while it checks out, doesn't look right, some of the numbers are fine and some of the numbers are bold... every other one I have ever seen all the numbers are the exact same.

I know I'm probably being overly paranoid, but my gut is telling me to pass, so I'm not gonna pull the trigger on this one.

P.s. - I should add that I used to own a roadworn strat but it was stolen, so I do have quite a bit of experience with them

I know I'm probably being overly paranoid, but my gut is telling me to pass, so I'm not gonna pull the trigger on this one.

So much this! If your gut tells you something's up, you shouldn't regret giving it a pass :)

Nicely done.

The seller says he's barely used it and it's just been sitting in his room, and yet the back of the neck looks almost black, like it's been played forever rather than just unfinished wood that's been sitting around.... I know the newer ones have very little wear, so there's quite alot of difference between the older and the newer ones, this is one of the older ones with heavy wear. Plus the serial number, while it checks out, doesn't look right, some of the numbers are fine and some of the numbers are bold... every other one I have ever seen all the numbers are the exact same

OK for the first part....isn't it supposed to look like it's been played a lot? 😃

Second, I agree if you have suspicions it may be best to look elsewhere.

Archived