Gibson Brands Forums

Song of the week concept?

BirdMan81

Just a thought...what if every week we somehow pick a song (not sure how we would pick it) and a board member would start off a thread by covering the song...then if other members wanted to they could record and cover that same song....it would be a new thread every week?

What made me think of this was Buckmasters thread with Neil Young's "Out On The Weekend" cover....I loved Bucks cover and that song song much I almost hit reply on the thread with my own version....and then this idea was born.....maybe just a pipe dream but thought I'd through it out there?

I'm in.

We can start off with Out On The Weekend for this week, and then next week go with another song.

Next week starting on July 7?

Do we need video, or is an audio file okay?

Recording right in front of the computer cam might be easiest for some.

I have to go cut the grass now, but I can sit down and record the first verse and chorus this evening, just to keep the video file short enough.

:mellow:

That's been done here in the past but not on a weekly basis. A song title would get tossed out there and those that wanted to participate put up a cover. The ukulele forum I frequent has what they call "The Seasons" (?). There's a weekly volunteer host that posts a theme of his/her choosing, which could be anything at all. The players pick a song that fits the theme and posts a cover video. Sometimes there are insignificant prizes, once in awhile a cheesy ukulele, sometimes there's none, as judged by the host..........very loosey goosey kind of thing. The Seasons has a subform of it's own so that the weekly contests don't get lost in the general forum. Kind of cool. Can push one out of their comfort zone trying to learn a tune each week. Might work here..........might not.

(and by all means put up your take on Out on the Weekend, in my thread or a new one!)

A few of us tried it here about a year or two ago. It kind-of died, but maybe that's because there were only about five of us playing along. There seem to be more now. Regardless, I'm in.

I love hearing different takes, and pushing each other. I feel it makes us all better musicians. And after all, making music is why we have our guitars. I hope some of the more quiet ones jump in, as ten to one they are the best musicians.

Yea nice idea.

A few times something clicked and we had a bunch of people contributing on one of these.Other times it was less successful with maybe only two or three having a go.

Song of the Week is too ambitious...ie not every week...but a Song of the Week - occasionally can work.

And the song shouldn't be too technically difficult...as it would deter some average plonkers like myself.

But it never hurts to nominate a song and see what happens.

I recorded this right before I went out to mow the lawn a couple of hours ago.

Sorry that my strings are so dead.

I used that guitar at an outdoor gig a few weeks ago, and they weren't happy with the salt and the moisture.

I shoulda changed them out right after, but got lazy.

I learned to strap on a harmonica strictly because of Neil Young.

I'm no good at it, but it feels right.

[unsure]

My rough pass, 1 verse and chorus

I recorded this right before I went out to mow the lawn a couple of hours ago.

Sorry that my strings are so dead.

I used that guitar at an outdoor gig a few weeks ago, and they weren't happy with the salt and the moisture.

I shoulda changed them out right after, but got lazy.

I learned to strap on a harmonica strictly because of Neil Young.

I'm no good at it, but it feels right.

[unsure]

My rough pass, 1 verse and chorus

Sparky..that was fab! Didn't expect that fine voice from the gruff old codger in the avatar [biggrin] !Beaut harp too.

BK that was superb! I was mucking around and yours popped up.I was trying the same key.Maybe that's where the similarities end [smile] .

Like everyone I owned Harvest but I can't remember playing this.Enjoyed having a run through.On J-45.

BBG put your link on this thread...I think the thread may be a goer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaP4ptNOSx4&feature=youtu.be

BK that was superb! I was mucking around and yours popped up.I was trying the same key.Maybe that's where the similarities end [smile] .

Like everyone I owned Harvest but I can't remember playing this.Enjoyed having a run through.On J-45.

BBG put your link on this thread...I think the thread may be a goer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaP4ptNOSx4&feature=youtu.be

I like that, FB!

But I stooged all of you 'cos I tunes the old Gibson L-0 down 2 frets, so I play it around an A with only 2 fret/4 string and 2 fret/3 string fingered, letting the other strings ring and hammering 2nd string! And the B minor chord is an Am moved up 2 frets and the rest open. Cheating, isn't it? Make sense? I actually prefer to play the tune on my Martin HD28v, but I didn't want to sound too Neil.... It fulfills every hope in the reason I bought THAT wonderful used Martin!

I heard BBG's a few weeks back - very smooth and vocal is more accurate than some others! I would say that until a few weeks ago when I was given the link of that site with every Neil song, I only knew the line: See the lonely boy...etc.

Buck is back and in charge. Buck for Prez! If not, tune selection!

BluesKing777.

Enjoying all of this.

BK777- one of the best applications of BK777's "unique" sonic stylings to date. . . a fresh approach, and easy on the ears.

FB- always enjoy how the room records for you; the quick decay of the J-45 sound works well with it, and has a great jangle here.

BBG- another happy-go-lucky one from the Emerald Isle. Vocals almost going to Dave Matthews-like at points.

Could someone pass along that link to every Neil song from the beginning of time? Good thing I didn't know I was doing those songs wrong all those years.

J-45 Rosewood. Farmer Foot drum. Too short Apogee mic cable. 'Couldn't find an "A" harp, either:

I liked it, thanks 62B

The dog didn't like it so much [mellow]

I suppose you could get an extension lead for the Apogee, probably from the same place I need to go for my iPad lead.

BluesKing777.

Archived