Gibson Brands Forums

EJ200CE~ 6 to 12 string conversion

Acts

I have a EJ200CE, and am really liking it for many reasons. Mostly, for the price I gave it is really a beautiful, full sounding guitar, even unamped. I have been a real fan of 12string guitars for many years and am looking to go that direction again. My question is a technical one. Rather than try to find a 12string I'm satisfied with, would it be feasibly possible to adapt a 12string neck and bridge to the EJ200CE body? Strikes me that the sound you'd get out of it would be nothing less than amazing.

I'm not a fan of the idea.

Seems like, for the money, you could just buy an Epiphone 12-string guitar (with a body braced and structurally-designed for that many strings) and be done with it.

The Epiphone EJ-212CE is still out there, and available from any number of sellers.

Why, look here, and right on this very forum:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/131354-epiphone-ej-212/page__pid__1781375#entry1781375

Just thinking out loud.

[unsure]

Rather than try to find a 12string I'm satisfied with, would it be feasibly possible to adapt a 12string neck and bridge to the EJ200CE body? Strikes me that the sound you'd get out of it would be nothing less than amazing.

You want nothing less than an amazing 12-string, you gotta go with Guild.

gui515.jpg

I have a EJ200CE, and am really liking it for many reasons. Mostly, for the price I gave it is really a beautiful, full sounding guitar, even unamped. I have been a real fan of 12string guitars for many years and am looking to go that direction again. My question is a technical one. Rather than try to find a 12string I'm satisfied with, would it be feasibly possible to adapt a 12string neck and bridge to the EJ200CE body? Strikes me that the sound you'd get out of it would be nothing less than amazing.

I've never seen or heard of that being successfully done. The top would more that likely implode. Recently, I saw one guy but a Bigsby vibrado on an acoustic guitar and one guy make a resonator out of a hundred dollar guitar (and it sounded good), so I've learned to never say never but making a 12 out of a 6 string, it may hold for a while (even tuned to C#) but I have my doubts. I believe everyone should have one 12 string in the collection.

Cougar is right, Guild 12 strings have been the industry standard since the 60's-70's. Heck, you could even get into a Mexican Martin for less than $700 new. Again. though, some of these 12's have not been cared for and are prone to bridge pull ups, bellying, and neck issues, unless I could inspect it myself man I'd be very wary of buying a 12 string on ebay. You could send it back but the cost of the shipping, etc, etc...

Guild 12's sound great and stay intact better than most of which I've had ownership/experience. Even a guitar intended to be a 12-banger is less likely to survive normal use than a comparable 6, and the notion of condemning a 6 string guitar that you really like to vastly premature degeneration by making that kind of modification doesn't sound promising. At least, I'd pick up an inexpensive 12 and buy some time (sorry for the pun) to consider further options.

That's what I like about this forum, and the members. Objective opinions based on knowledge....and replacement options. So in essence, I may not get what I'm looking for in a Epiphone, and most assuredly not from one converted from a 6 to 12string. Guild seems to get a thumbs up aye. But if I want to stay with Epi, the Epiphone EJ-212CE is getting the nod. Thanks for the early responses. I'm looking forward to reading more responses as this post grows and attracts attention !!

But if I want to stay with Epi, the Epiphone EJ-212CE is getting the nod.

Probably a good choice - if you can find one. They stopped making them just before year 2000? In close to the same ballpark, you might look at the Takamine GJ72CE. I got one before going all in on the Guilds, and I was pretty darn happy with it. Here's a little ditty showing what it sounds like. Love the burst and abalone rosette. Actually, mine's for sale. $400 w/case. PM me if interested.

tak302.jpg

I have that same Takamine guitar.

My wife bought it for me for my birthday six or seven years ago.

I have used it on stage a lot over the years.

It's a work-horse.

Not a 12 string, obviously, but still a good guitar.

My 12 string is a Martin, and I can't say enough good about it.

Fantastic instrument, for a mexican-made (non-Nazareth PA) guitar.

:)

That's what I like about this forum, and the members. Objective opinions based on knowledge....and replacement options. So in essence, I may not get what I'm looking for in a Epiphone, and most assuredly not from one converted from a 6 to 12string. Guild seems to get a thumbs up aye. But if I want to stay with Epi, the Epiphone EJ-212CE is getting the nod. Thanks for the early responses. I'm looking forward to reading more responses as this post grows and attracts attention !!

There's a new old stock (NOS) Epiphone AJ-12 string on ebay now (I'm not associated with the sale) that I would check out. My only concern is the lack of humidity. If I bought it, the first thing I would do was get a damp-it and keep that thing going for a few days. I think it's like $350. The current DR 12-strings are basically junk IMHO. I bought an AJ-12 from a seller about 2 years ago but had to return it when it wasn't what the seller advertised (the next was cracked and it was filthy), but it felt good and I would buy that one if I hadn't found my Gibby several months ago. I bought a Tak G series 12 (beautiful guitar, great action) but thin thin sound...it went back to Sweetwater.

There is an EJ212VS 12 on ebay too bit the action looks very high, I'd be very wary of it personally.

Even a Guild GAD (now Westerly collection would work if you were not looking to go all in... If you are looking for the gold standard 12 string, check out the Guild site for the F-412.

As already well covered.... :blink:

A 12 string is a special beast...not just a neck add-on.... :-({|=

There are so many excellent 12's around built as 12's... <_<

Personal favourites

Taylor

Yamaha

Breedlove

Ovation

Crafter

Takamine

Fender

Burns

V

:-({|=

I have that same Takamine guitar.

My wife bought it for me for my birthday six or seven years ago.

I have used it on stage a lot over the years.

It's a work-horse.

Not a 12 string, obviously, but still a good guitar.

My 12 string is a Martin, and I can't say enough good about it.

Fantastic instrument, for a mexican-made (non-Nazareth PA) guitar.

:)

I shoulda looked closer, to my embarassent haha. It was listed in the 12 strings [confused]

You want nothing less than an amazing 12-string, you gotta go with Guild.

gui515.jpg

Guild ruined any chance of me being happy with an affordable 12. It was beautiful, too bad I won't play it enough to justify the cost.

Probably a good choice - if you can find one. They stopped making them just before year 2000? In close to the same ballpark, you might look at the Takamine GJ72CE. I got one before going all in on the Guilds, and I was pretty darn happy with it. Here's a little ditty showing what it sounds like. Love the burst and abalone rosette. Actually, mine's for sale. $400 w/case. PM me if interested.

tak302.jpg

Sounds very nice Cougar

Sounds very nice Cougar

Thanks woot. Took me about six months to get that into semi-playable shape. Of course, then there was a bit of cutting and pasting of the tracks.... :rolleyes:Here's another version, with a sprinkling of piano dropped in near the end (and the 12-string gets flangered).

Now and again, I've encountered slot-head Martin 12-strings that had malfunctioned and were for sale for relatively cheap. Always wonder if converting one of those to a 6-string might be a possibility, but haven't seen it done and dislike putting time and cash into a project that could produce nothing more than an interesting club.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks woot. Took me about six months to get that into semi-playable shape. Of course, then there was a bit of cutting and pasting of the tracks.... :rolleyes:Here's another version, with a sprinkling of piano dropped in near the end (and the 12-string gets flangered).

Cougar .. you can hand some people a wash tub and several strands of clothesline, and they'll be able to make it sound like a Gibson. I think you're one of those people. Listening to the first clip you sent makes it real hard to stay with wanting a Epiphone EJ212CE-12. One of the main reasons I got my EJ200CE/N was sound reproduction vs cost. Mine was 6mo old used, from the original buyer, and I gave $475 with the hardcase, and it was flawless ...and I've never looked back and said to myself, I made the wrong choice. I've done some modifying...upgraded the saddle and nut to bone, put on some Gibson J200L strings. The thing just sings. I use it for praise and worship at my church, and everyone loves the way it sounds, both amped and unamped. I'm sure there are 12strings out there that sound just as good as my EJ200CE ... and this is where my quest begins. If you can't take a EJ200CE Jumbo body, and transform it into a 12er....then what 12s are out there that already sound as good as my EJ200CE 6string, keeping cost in mind. My price range is $500 or less. Thanx in advance guys !!

Archived