Gibson Brands Forums

Humming bird? I dont think so.

papabear@

Is this areal gibson hummingbird? I sent link to gibson.com 2 days ago with no reply.

Asked the pawnguy selling it and no reply there either. I have heard pawnshop owners getting jail time for selling fake Gibsons.

#1= 3 screw truss rod? #2 = Is the Mop gluded on top of headstock?

My link

I dont understand why report a fake at gibson.com hasn't done anything. Hate to see a poor kid get scammed.

I like the disclaimer with the seller playing dumb when his company logo is a guitar.

Action looks extremely high and the crack on the treble side of the neck could mean the neck has sunk down in that area.

I would not touch it without inspecting it and the seller does not have a return policy and does not imply the condition where you could go back on him with the EBay guarantee.

I would be wary on this purchase even though it does look authentic.

I have read many times a "3 screw trussrod cover" = FAKE Gibson. That Gibsons always have a 2 screw trussrod cover, one at top, one at bottom.

Is this true?

No. You'll find scattered examples of 3 screw covers, usually adorning examples from the '70s. Lots of documentation for the phenomenon have appeared within various threads here on the forum.

No. You'll find scattered examples of 3 screw covers, usually adorning examples from the '70s. Lots of documentation for the phenomenon have appeared within various threads here on the forum.

I got his C&P right off the gibson.com website,

"How to Spot a Fake Gibson

To ensure the authenticity of a Gibson, consumers can check any of the references below when examining a guitar:

Measure the guitar to check that it’s not undersized. Correct measurements can be found on www.Gibson.com.

Examine headstock and headstock logo to determine that they match those of authentic Gibson guitars.

Check to see that all pearl is inlaid.

Check that Les Paul model script is always in cursive.

Verify that there’s not a three-screw truss rod cover.

Check the control and pickup cavities for sloppy routing or wiring.

Make sure the pickup cavity is not painted black inside.

story_counterfeit05.jpg

story_counterfeit01.jpg

Is this areal gibson hummingbird? I sent link to gibson.com 2 days ago with no reply.

Asked the pawnguy selling it and no reply there either. I have heard pawnshop owners getting jail time for selling fake Gibsons.

#1= 3 screw truss rod? #2 = Is the Mop gluded on top of headstock?

My link

I dont understand why report a fake at gibson.com hasn't done anything. Hate to see a poor kid get scammed.

Only thing wrong with this Hummingbird is its a norlin.. Its a Gibson Hummingbird..

Here is another cut and paste about Gibsons.

Consumers can check any of the references below when examining a Gibson guitar in an effort to insure its authenticity:

- Make sure the size is not undersized

- The headstock and headstock logo should match those of authentic Gibson guitars

- Pearl should always be inlaid

- Les Paul Model script is always in cursive

- If the guitar has a 3 screw truss rod it is not authentic

- Check the control and pick up cavities for sloppy routing or wiring

- Real Gibson guitars use one piece necks

- Many fake Gibsons have their pickup cavities painted black inside

- If purchasing a Gibson always ask for the Gibson's Owner Manual and Gibson/Warranty Inspection Card

-;" Check the wiring, if it is plastic it isn't a true Gibson.

////////

This place even states "if it has a 3 screw truss cover, "it is NOT authentic"..... I have not found anywhere else that states in the 70's they had 3 screws...only this forum. I have been searching over 30 different sites about this. Tuesday I will talk to a real person at Gibson.com, Not email, and let you know what they say about the "`70's 3 screw truss cover." Many say Epiphone had a 3 screw. Either way, I will let you know what I'm told by Gibson.com. thanks for all the reply's, but I'll pass on this one.

Someone needs to lose their job. Who the hell wrote this drivel?

There is no one blinder than he who will not see.... If it's in print and claims an official source, it must be true.... I kind of wonder who wrote the drivel, as well. Firing's too good for them - they should be publicly ridiculed on this forum, by name, with accompanying photograph.

If someone out there is fabricating '70's Norlin era Gibson's we should feel sorry for them, not prosecuting them.

fyi - the last Gibson I bought has a three piece maple neck. It's authentic.

If someone out there is fabricating '70's Norlin era Gibson's we should feel sorry for them, not prosecuting them.

fyi - the last Gibson I bought has a three piece maple neck. It's authentic.

When anyone has spent much time with older Gibsons, the realization that a huge part of their charm is the occasional variation sinks in pretty well. Of course, if you pay close attention to the 'official' information from the foregoing citation, a few things that I've come to expect fairly regularly never actually happened.

Here is another cut and paste about Gibsons.

- If the guitar has a 3 screw truss rod it is not authentic

- Real Gibson guitars use one piece necks

- Many fake Gibsons have their pickup cavities painted black inside

- If purchasing a Gibson always ask for the Gibson's Owner Manual and Gibson/Warranty Inspection Card

- Check the wiring, if it is plastic it isn't a true Gibson.

During the 1970's some Gibsons with 3 screws holding the truss rod cover were made.

There were lots of Gibsons made with three-piece necks, and some do still use necks made of three or more stripes of wood, partly of different species, in particular upper class models.

Some decades ago some Gibsons came with black conductive paint in the control cavity, some with brass foil, some with aluminum foil over the years. I nvere saw one with conductive paint in the pickup cavity, so I'm not sure about that.

The paperwork during the Norlin years was quite different from now.

Most of my Gibsons have plastic wiring stock because of four-conductor wiring and switching options. Lots of Gibson Les Paul guitars with basically braided wiring use plastic insulated wires for the toggle switch connections stock.

just got off the phone with gibson.com and was told there was never any mystery 70's era 3 screw trussrod covers.

There can however be a real gibson where the bottom screw hole broke on the headstock and it was repaired with a 3 screw.

Or someone just put a 3 screw on a real Gibson....for looks or repair.

I have sent them the pictures and see if this one was real.....I'll let you know the outcome when they reply.

Say what you will, I will take the advice of the people who make and work for the Gibson Co..

just got off the phone with gibson.com and was told there was never any mystery 70's era 3 screw trussrod covers.

There can however be a real gibson where the bottom screw hole broke on the headstock and it was repaired with a 3 screw.

Now that's funny! So they obviously broke lots of bottom screw holes at the factory then. [-(

Whoever you spoke with is wrong.

Dead wrong.

Dead dead wrong.

It's sad when the consumer knows more about the company than the company does.

Blind faith to the person on the other end of the phone? Not a good idea.

Ever see a 1948 Telecaster? Me neither. 3 years later, maybe.

Fender-tele-1972.jpg

I'm contemplating a LaPatrie classical. Customer Service said this serial number doesn't exist.

s-l1600.jpg

I would like to know who you spoke to at Gibson so I can just google many photos of 3 screw TRCs as used in the 1970s and send them to that individual. And to their boss.

Archived