Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you buy your Gibsons?

mz-s

I have two shops near me who are Gibson authorized dealers (Guitar Center and Sam Ash). Of the two, only Sam Ash carries any new Gibson acoustics. They had a Songwriter and a J-15 in stock over the weekend, and I played and fell in love with the J-15. It's a 2015 model, has been played with a bit (dents on the top, basic stuff when tossed around in a busy music shop), but definitely hasn't been dropped or anything major. So, if it's still there in a month I may go back and try to get a good deal on it.

Failing that, are there any other good shops out there online/over the phone that you guys can recommend? I bought my Epiphone from Musician's Friend online, but that was a $200 purchase and I am open to suggestions for other dealers that might be a little better. It looks like I'll be paying around $1500 no matter where I buy, so if there are any shops you can recommend that make it a little more special, let me know.

I have fought new and used Gibsons from these places. They were all cheaper then Musician's friend, guitar center, or Sam ash, and the guitars were pristine. The experiences were each outstanding. Ask for their best pricing and mention you are on the Gibson forum. Their pricing is better than what they are each allowed to show.

Russo's in Asbury NJ

Fullers in Houston Texas

Chicago music exchange

Wildwood guitars in Colorado. You can see the inventory online.

Music villa in Bozemon.

They will each make sure the guitar is setup roughly to your standards.

I have fought new and used Gibsons from these places. They were all cheaper then Musician's friend, guitar center, or Sam ash, and the guitars were pristine. The experiences were each outstanding. Ask for their best pricing and mention you are on the Gibson forum. Their pricing is better than what they are each allowed to show.

Russo's in Asbury NJ

Fullers in Houston Texas

Chicago music exchange

Music villa in Bozemon.

Thank you for your list! I'll give them a shout when I'm ready to buy soon. My wife said once I get better in playing, I can get a new guitar. I think I've surprised her and even myself in sticking with it for 6 months now. Every other time I've tried to pick up an instrument it didn't last more than a few weeks (which is why I got a cheap Epiphone initially).

My wife said once I get better in playing, I can get a new guitar.

Now there's some motivation for ya! Riddle me this: being as that you're a relative new player, what is it that draws you to a Gibson?

(market research!) [flapper]

Russo's in Asbury NJ

Fullers in Houston Texas

Chicago music exchange

Music villa in Bozemon.

Add Rainbow Guitars and Daves Guitars.

Now there's some motivation for ya! Riddle me this: being as that you're a relative new player, what is it that draws you to a Gibson?

(market research!) [flapper]

Yes, excellent motivation! She wants me to learn to play some songs she likes - Elton John, Hall And Oates, etc - we'll see about that.

Listened to a lot of players and guitars on YouTube, the Gibson sounded the best to me. Couldn't justify a Gibson when starting out 6 months ago so I got the next best thing I could justify which is an Epiphone AJ220s, which I have been playing all this time and love. I'll never part with her of course, I'm learning to play on that guitar. The J-15 I played at Sam Ash over the weekend felt like the logical next step. The neck and body shape was familiar, and I loved the sound - even with the somewhat crude chords I could get onto the fingerboard. The sound mates up well with what I think of when I hear an acoustic playing in my head. I guess a Gibson just blends in with the type of music I enjoy - mostly older country and Americana music. Margo Price is a newer singer that I'm really digging right now, and she plays with an older J-45 on stage.

Working through the Learn & Master course now and I think I'll be ready for the J-15 by Halloween, which means it will likely be under the tree in December. Of course I want it now! But the motivation of needing to improve to justify the purchase is helping me WANT to practice even more than I already do.

Wildwood Guitars in Lousiville, Colorado. Bought my J45 from them. Hands down one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had and got a great price as well. They do a ton of mail-order, but I was lucky enough to live in Denver at the time and made the short drive out to them one day and would highly recommend checking them out if you get the chance. Can't recommend them enough!

Motivation and the lure of Gibson acoustics. There just might be a PhD thesis somewhere in there! Or perhaps an abnormal psychology article.... Maybe at least it deserves its own thread. Hmmmm.

Well kudos to you for sticking with it long enough to think about upgrading the instrument! [thumbup]

You may already know this, but be advised that few guitars at any price,by any maker, come off the shelf setup as well as they can be. You may well be surprised by what a good luthier can do with a six string.

I have bought two from Sweetwater, I live an hour away from there and they are the only ones that have more than two models on display and in stock. I live the equal distance to a guitar center and a Sam Ash but they carry nothing to speak of. Guitar Center has two on display and in stock and Sam Ash has not had any on display for 6 months. I have also bought two other ones used from individuals.

I recently went on a three hour trip to Elderly's in Lansing and they had 0 new Gibson's acoustic or electric and about 8 vintage acoustics. My nearest 5 star Gibson acoustic dealers are 3 hours away.

The Guitar Store located in Southampton gets my vote . First class service and great choice of Gibson Acoustics . Bonners in Eastbourne is another store that I would recommend again great selection of Gibsons

Well kudos to you for sticking with it long enough to think about upgrading the instrument! [thumbup]

You may already know this, but be advised that few guitars at any price,by any maker, come off the shelf setup as well as they can be. You may well be surprised by what a good luthier can do with a six string.

Thank you! It's been a fun ride so far.

I did not spend the money getting my Epiphone set up, as it was a cheap guitar and I figured I could watch videos on YouTube to learn how to set it up myself. I did OK considering, but I'll probably be making friends with a local luthier when I get the Gibson, provided the shop I order it from is unable to offer a suitable setup. There's too much money involved there to try to go at it myself considering my current abilities in that realm.

I recently went on a three hour trip to Elderly's in Lansing and they had 0 new Gibson's acoustic or electric and about 8 vintage acoustics.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but Elderly hasn't been a new Gibson dealer for quite a while. That's why the only Gibby's you see there are used.

Personally, I don't buy guitars unless I can play them first. You might want to keep an eye on you local Guitar Center's inventory of used GIbsons (and any other Guitar Centers within driving distance) - you can do this online. If they've had a used guitar in the store for awhile, they can be very negotiable on the price, perhaps as much as 20%. And they also have a 30 day return/exchange policy on new instruments (3 days for vintage). Got a very nice deal on my 1965 J-50 there, it's my favorite guitar and the only one I've played for the past year. :)

Mine really came from everywhere. One bought locally in CZ from a major music shop, two from Thomann, in Germany, the Guitar Center of Europe. One in NYC on spur of moment. One from Ebay, one from Jim's Guitars through an online sale.

Oh and one from AGF.

Not easy for us Europeans so we need to be innovative how we source the tools of the trade..

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but Elderly hasn't been a new Gibson dealer for quite a while. That's why the only Gibby's you see there are used.

That may be since I had never been there before I was just surprised because normally like the Sam Ash and GC I was referring to have a lot of new electric Gibsons. I was just surprised that they sell a ton of new Fenders and taylor but zero electric Gibsons. I still liked the store itself.

I bought Gibsons (and many other guitars) from GC, online, a store in Wichita, Ks I can't remember the name of (EW Shorts I think, or some name like that), from people I've met in here, and from individuals in this area. I have no issues with GC. There's a store less than a mile from me and a Musicians Friend warehouse about 6 miles from me. Makes playing guitars and buying or returning very easy. If I order a guitar and it's coming out of the warehouse here, they'll let me go down and pick it up.

Add Bailey Brothers in Birmingham to your list (although my guy Keith just left). They will ship.

Two good pieces of wisdom you've seen here: (1) Play it if you can ...... and (B) have it set up right away. Perhaps Sam Ashe would order a J15 for you.

My two cents worth ............ don't pay suggested manufacture's price .......... don't pay lowest allowed advertised price (also know as tag price or street price). This is simply the lowest price that Gibson will allow dealers, store or online, to advertise. It is not the lowest price you will pay if you are willing to negotiate. I've bought 6 Gibsons from BB in the last 3 years and never paid tag price. Good luck!

Add Bailey Brothers in Birmingham to your list (although my guy Keith just left). They will ship.

Two good pieces of wisdom you've seen here: (1) Play it if you can ...... and (B) have it set up right away. Perhaps Sam Ashe would order a J15 for you.

My two cents worth ............ don't pay suggested manufacture's price .......... don't pay lowest allowed advertised price (also know as tag price or street price). This is simply the lowest price that Gibson will allow dealers, store or online, to advertise. It is not the lowest price you will pay if you are willing to negotiate. I've bought 6 Gibsons from BB in the last 3 years and never paid tag price. Good luck!

I'm glad I asked, I just assumed I'd be paying $1500 and the best I could hope for is to find a seller willing to throw in a humidifier, leather strap, or something to sweeten the deal. In the photography world, manufacturers list their prices and sellers cannot deviate from them, period, but many sellers throw in freebies to compete with each other. Now that I learn it's possible to get a discount I'm even happier.

I bought Gibsons (and many other guitars) from GC, online, a store in Wichita, Ks I can't remember the name of (EW Shorts I think, or some name like that), from people I've met in here, and from individuals in this area. I have no issues with GC. There's a store less than a mile from me and a Musicians Friend warehouse about 6 miles from me. Makes playing guitars and buying or returning very easy. If I order a guitar and it's coming out of the warehouse here, they'll let me go down and pick it up.

The store in Wichita is EM Shorts. They do have good prices on their Gibsons.

I have bought all three of my Gibsons (and my Martin, my Taylors, and my Godin) at Long & McQuade in Calgary. L&M is the Canadian distributor for Gibson. Regardless of where you buy your new Gibson in Canada, it comes through L&M in Pickering, Ontario first. All service is handled through L&M as well.

Archived