Gibson Brands Forums

The New 2016 SG Supreme Did not Work Out

Macmutt

I bought the Ocean blue 2016 SG Supreme, however i had serious problems with the strap peg being placed on the upper bout.

Since i always stand & play this new strap peg placement threw the balance off a lot for me.

About 23 years ago i had surgery on my left leg, they removed an egg yolk size tumor from my shin bone and scraped away part of the bone in the process, then shot it with radiation for 6 weeks, any way the end result of that is today when i'm forced to put weight on it for a long period of time it throbs like crazy.

So when i tried to adjust for the balance of this new strap peg location, i kept having to put my weight on my bad left leg, and only after a mere 30 minutes of playing my leg was throbbing, and even my neck was stiffening slightly.

Now i have other guitars such as LP's, Strat's and so on that have had the same weight and placement of the strap pegs that they always had and i don't have any balance or comfort issues with them, even after hours of standing and playing, so this new placement of the SG Supreme strap peg is not a good idea I.M.O.

The end result was having to trade it in for something else....i just could not find my comfort zone, i was doing more adjusting of the strap and guitar then i was playing, and it never did any good.

Even if i never had that issue with my leg, i still would be constantly adjusting the strap and guitar during jam sessions and it wouldn't do any good.

If you can't go off to that other place while playing some smooth, moving leads, because your busy adjusting for comfort, then that guitar it isn't worth keeping.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have thought that would be a better spot then where they normally are. What do you think was different about it ? Was it just too different feeling from what you had felt from an SG before ? I'm not giving you any grief, I was just curious. With people talking about neck dive I would think this was an improve. It's a shame it didn't work for you though

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how one of those Supremes could work out under any circumstance... butt-ugly fluorescent finishes.

[laugh]

Oh, sorry... those were the Deluxe SGs. But still.... something about those finishes. Not right for the SG.

Archived