Gibson Brands Forums

Cool frets

Just thought id share this...

I have tried a few different types of fret wire... I very first started getting straight lengths and had to radius them myself which was hard as I didn't have one of those radius machines....

Then I went on to curled lengths of wire, which I used for a while but always found they were over radiused.. they worked but required quite a bit of banging in...

THEN I went to the pre cut and radiused pieces of wire which are really good.. Much easier all round to use, and they come with the tang ends cut off if you are using binding they will fit nicely.. The problem with them is you get them all in a bag and you have to work out which fret is for which slot which can be a bit frustrating as it takes ages and is easy to get wrong...

Then I found something that will help me avoid that issue... :)

DSC_1879_zpsfonkillq.jpg

DSC_1881_zpsr6qrkgtd.jpg

So useful having them all numbered

DSC_1882_zpsa2nsi8dj.jpg

I was worried before I bought them that the wire itself may not be that good but the seller assured me that they are top quality and actually having examined them today they seem really good.. So im well happy I may even buy another pack for future builds.. just thought id share that for anyone looking for frets :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262483701242?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Very convenient package!

However, it's nickel silver - just like on Gibsons. They wear rather quickly.

Within a year I will have to refret, - at least - two guitars in my collection. As being heavy-handed, I am thinking of a more durable fretwire than the stock Gibson. I thought, it was a good idea to go for stainless steel, until Capmaster pointed out to their weaknesses. :-k

Not to mention, both guitars have nibs...

Bence

Well my normal fret wire was Dunlop accu fret medium jumbo... I used that on most of my builds but these frets do seem harder... I will find out more when I go to level and crown them I guess.

and maybe you should learn to play softer?? :)

My oldest LP is 14 years old and still plays fine....

Archived