Gibson Brands Forums

Help With Swapping 2014 SGJ Pickups

Jordan96

As some of you would know the sgj has stock pickups with quick connectors and a circuit board instead of traditional wiring. I am trying to figure out how to swap in a dimarzio super distortion to the bridge. Can i cut the connector off and solder on the dimarzio onto the connector wires? they have the same colored wires but im not sure if each has the same function as it is a different brand.

Any help would be appreciated. Just dont want to solder it all together and have it backwards or somthing.

As some of you would know the sgj has stock pickups with quick connectors and a circuit board instead of traditional wiring. I am trying to figure out how to swap in a dimarzio super distortion to the bridge. Can i cut the connector off and solder on the dimarzio onto the connector wires? they have the same colored wires but im not sure if each has the same function as it is a different brand.

Any help would be appreciated. Just dont want to solder it all together and have it backwards or somthing.

It would be possible to do this, although bear in mind the following.

While the wire colours might be the same - it's worth checking that the wires are the same. Quite often 2 or 3 pickup makers will use the same 4 colours on a 4-connector pickup, but they might be attached to different parts of the coil in the pickup. As an example; the red wire on a DiMarzio is the north coil start, and on a Seymour Duncan is the south coil start..

humbuck.gif

There are numerous pages on the internet for comparison between different makers, so this is something to think about, especially if you want to retain the same functions that your guitar would offer (coil splits or taps, etc).

As an alternative; don't ruin your Gibson pickup, and instead look for some quick-connect adaptors (link to eBay) and connect these to your DiMarzio pickup and then plug into the PCB board like you would the Gibson pickup.

Hope this helps.

Archived