Gibson Brands Forums

Help to find original pickguard bracket cap nut for ES-335

Andres Caldera

Hi All, I recently got a used ES-335 Custom Shop Year 2008 (Model number of the orange sticker: ESDT335) and is missing both the internal hex nut and the cap nut that hold the pickguard bracket firm, and is killing me (see picture attached).

I would appreciate if anyone can help point me to any information on how to find the original flat cap nut as well as the hex nut that come with this guitar, even the right specs would be appreciated.

Yes, I reached to Gibson support over email and phone, they haven't been too helpful, they explained to me they don't provide this and referred me to a 3rd party vendor (http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/) who sells a different type of bracket, I actually bought it on desperation to find out that is completely different to what my guitar has - has a horrible acorn shape and is a different size altogether :-(

PS. I'm really surprised by the lack of interest from the manufacturer in keeping customers happy, just for reference of good customer care, I lost the nut on my snowboard binding (which I paid $100 for) and the manufacturer (GNU) sent me overnight - at no cost - a full hardware package - Isn't that an amazing contrast?

Thank you!

Andres

post-78983-056019400 1467909780_thumb.jpg

Andres, the guy you want to contact is Jim Bastian; he runs a couple of online stores called IslandFunhouse and retroguitarparts - I've dealt with him a couple of times in the past, and he's a solid cat.

The problem you're running into is most of the replacement threaded pickguard rods/nuts/caps available nowadays are METRIC. I found this out the hard way (as you yourself did), as I have both American and imported guitars, and I have to measure first if I ever need to replace anything...

Remember this rule: Gibson USA will ALWAYS sport SAE 5-40 threaded parts, so if this size is not specified, steer clear.

www.jimbastian.com

He'll fix you up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived