Gibson Brands Forums

LES PAUL COPPER TOP PICK UPS

PLIANTO

NOT SURE OF THE YEAR OF THIS LES PAUL COPPER TOP.... THAT BEING SAID, A FRIEND PURCHASED IT FOR $8500 AND HAD IT INSURED

THE INSURANCE COMPAY TOLD HIM IT WAS VALUED AT $20,000 OK

THE RESASON FOR THE VALUE WAS BECAUSE OF THE HEIL (YES LIKE THE MICROPHONE) PICKUPS

I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THIS AND CAN FIND NO INFO FROM GIBSON, ON ANY PICKUPS DESIGNED OR MANUFACTURED BY HEIL FOR GIBSON

CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS OR HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS

I WATCHED A YOU TUBE VIDEO CALLED 5 THINGS YOU DIDNT KNOW ABOUT YOUR LES PAUL AND THE GUY SAYS HEIL IN THE BEGINNING OF THE VIDEO, BUT NOT MUCH MORE THAN THE MENTION OF THE WORD HEIL

I AM CONFUSED

I'm not sure I get it.

I have never heard or read where Bob Heil or Heil Sound, Ltd. ever made guitar pickups.

and

Are you sure you are talking about a Copper Top and not an old Les Paul Gold Top?

I have a Les Paul Copper Top in sterling condition, and it certainly isn't worth $8,500 or $20,000 USD.

The only Gibson infos I found on regular production models with copper tops are these:

http://archive.gibson.com/Files/USA_PDFs/LesPaulStudio.pdf

http://archive.gibson.com/Files/USA_PDFs/LPClassicdatasheet.pdf

Some web infos suggest there had been sold a few prototypes featuring finishes that didn't make it into production for the specific models. Anyway, I never heard that Heil ever designed or made pickups for Gibson. :-k

NOT SURE OF THE YEAR OF THIS LES PAUL COPPER TOP.... THAT BEING SAID, A FRIEND PURCHASED IT FOR $8500 AND HAD IT INSURED

THE INSURANCE COMPAY TOLD HIM IT WAS VALUED AT $20,000 OK

THE RESASON FOR THE VALUE WAS BECAUSE OF THE HEIL (YES LIKE THE MICROPHONE) PICKUPS

I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THIS AND CAN FIND NO INFO FROM GIBSON, ON ANY PICKUPS DESIGNED OR MANUFACTURED BY HEIL FOR GIBSON

CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS OR HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS

I WATCHED A YOU TUBE VIDEO CALLED 5 THINGS YOU DIDNT KNOW ABOUT YOUR LES PAUL AND THE GUY SAYS HEIL IN THE BEGINNING OF THE VIDEO, BUT NOT MUCH MORE THAN THE MENTION OF THE WORD HEIL

I AM CONFUSED

The pickups likely aren't original to the guitar. Email pictures of the guitar and serial number to us at service@gibson.com and we'll be happy to check it out.

Archived