Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul HP?

'Scales

This has been kind of freaking me out recently, too. I think the Product Groups tool left hand bottom fouls up the overview. <_<

Product search via web browser seems more handy to me now.

I personally think the model designations for LPs are very confusing because there isn't a page where they tell you what all the acronyms mean. The LP is an analog instrument but the nomenclature has become Geeked. I must have driven 500 miles looking at guitars on my last LP purchase. I'd get to a guitar I thought I wanted only to find it had a fat neck or pickups I didn't want.

For instance:

Studio

Classic

Deluxe

Standard

High Performance

I'd ask a salesman what pickups a guitar had and he wouldn't know. I even met salesman who didn't know the difference between a Studio and a Standard.

I personally think the model designations for LPs are very confusing because there isn't a page where they tell you what all the acronyms mean. The LP is an analog instrument but the nomenclature has become Geeked. I must have driven 500 miles looking at guitars on my last LP purchase. I'd get to a guitar I thought I wanted only to find it had a fat neck or pickups I didn't want.

For instance:

Studio

Classic

Deluxe

Standard

High Performance

I'd ask a salesman what pickups a guitar had and he wouldn't know. I even met salesman who didn't know the difference between a Studio and a Standard.

I'm looking forward to next years 'True Historic Traditional Classic Traditional Vintage Classic Accurate Relic Aged Custom Heavily Aged Custom Shop 1959...NO REALLY ACCURATE 1959' Les Paul.

All PAINSTAKINGLY reproduced by God in Gibson Custom branch Custom Nashville of Nashville Custom Art, down the road from the Gibson Ultimate Custom Shop. [laugh][blink]

All joking aside, I do love Gibson [smile]

I'm looking forward to next years 'True Historic Traditional Classic Traditional Vintage Classic Accurate Relic Aged Custom Heavily Aged Custom Shop 1959...NO REALLY ACCURATE 1959' Les Paul.

All PAINSTAKINGLY reproduced by God in Gibson Custom branch Custom Nashville of Nashville Custom Art, down the road from the Gibson Ultimate Custom Shop. [laugh][blink]

All joking aside, I do love Gibson [smile]

A classic post!

The problem is, that their naming system has been a shambles for so many years, it would be pointless introducing an intelligent system now!

Clearly a case of the marketing dept being run by typical musos - off their face 90% of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I got great clarity on the 2016 options after watching Rob Chapman and the captain on the Anderton's video review.

Recommendmsp_thumbup.gif

watch

Gibson 2016 Les Paul Standard Trad Spec vs High Performance Spec

Then I use Google to search for a specific model which takes you directly to the Gibson specification page then all the models are easily accessible.

For instance:

Studio

Classic

Deluxe

Standard

High Performance

if i'm looking for a les paul i will know exactly what i'm looking for. i don't rely on the sales staff to know, because sometimes they don't. and it's my $$ i'm spending. that makes it my responsibility to make an informed choice.

my hand knows what neck shape i like even if i didn't know what it was called. but i do.

my ears know what sounds good to me, and i could care less what you call the pick ups. if my ears say they're not what i want, who cares what someone says they are?

the internet isn't hard to use. see a guitar you like? look up the specs. it's not hard to do. only takes seconds. nothing in the above list is rare or even somewhat uncommon/unusual. there are plenty of places to decode a serial number. it's not too much to ask for the buyer to make a little effort to ensure their gear hunt turns out well.

Archived