Gibson Brands Forums

1936 Gibson L-00

domzg

Hi all,

I very much like Gibson L-00s and check them out regularly on the net, I didnt yet buy one though but I´m very close.

Now I recently saw this 1936 Gibson L-00 with a fretboard like a Kalamazoo KG 14, only pearl dots on frets 5 up to 12, normally they go from 3rd up to fret 15 right?

The owner told me the FON that clearly dates it a 1936 Gibson L-00, its supposed to be all original and has all the features a L-00 from this year has. The right tuners, unbound back etc

The question is what happend with the fretboard?

I assume there was a mismatch at the factory in Kalamazoo but I really hope anybody on here might have seen something similar or can give me more insights on this issue and/or is familiar with issues of the same manner with Vintage L-00

thanks very much

post-78080-044701400 1468304763_thumb.jpg

I don't think you're ever really gonna' find out, but that's a beauty.

Let me guess...seller wants $3500.

hmm, I assume thats not enough, on trusty sellers pages they go for at least 4500 USD, thats what I see anyway....

I really hope that somebody has similar experiences with an issue like that, would be very interesting to hear

'Supposed to be' original is the key pricing phrase. My '35 has original features mixed with repairs and refinish work, but it has the crisp tone of that year's model. I got lucky at $1900 in 2010. Add $200 for period correct tuners and another 3 hundred for a much needed back re-finish.

Good luck in your search.

'Supposed to be' original is the key pricing phrase. My '35 has original features mixed with repairs and refinish work, but it has the crisp tone of that year's model. I got lucky at $1900 in 2010. Add $200 for period correct tuners and another 3 hundred for a much needed back re-finish.

Good luck in your search.

Well, I have sveral Guitars where I did the same thing, add this and that and make them up, but I got tired of dealing with partsellers, a lot of times the parts were not correct, didnt fit etc, costs a lot of nerves.

I rather buy the real thing and if you ask the right questions you get what you want, if not, there is always (or must be) the possibility to ship it back, if its not the right instrument for some reason.

Archived