Gibson Brands Forums

My first SG standard

Roostracing

post-79603-020455600 1468419867_thumb.jpgGood morning to all!

I just bought my first SG. It is a standard ebony model. My son is just 8 years old and he's been asking for a guitar. It's coincidence that a friend of my father was selling his. Anyhow, I have a few questions in it.

Based on the serial number it's a 2004 Gibson SG standard.

I noticed it had a "line" on the front of it going across the body and one on the back. It doesn't seem to be a Crack but possibly the finish? Is this normal or something that I should be worried about?

All help is appreciated!

post-79603-084410600 1468419964_thumb.jpg

post-79603-048597200 1468419979_thumb.jpg

Good morning to all!

I just bought my first SG. It is a standard ebony model. My son is just 8 years old and he's been asking for a guitar. It's coincidence that a friend of my father was selling his. Anyhow, I have a few questions in it.

Based on the serial number it's a 2004 Gibson SG standard.

I noticed it had a "line" on the front of it going across the body and one on the back. It doesn't seem to be a Crack but possibly the finish? Is this normal or something that I should be worried about?

All help is appreciated!

Hi there, Roostracing; welcome to the forums.

Congratulations on the new SG, first of all!

If you can get some pictures up - the fine folks that loiter about this wonderful forum will be able to have a look and see if they can weigh-in on this 'line' query you have. The higher resolution on the photos, the better, and try to get good lighting! If you need assistance in getting photos up - follow the instructions on this thread

All help is appreciated!

Hello and welcome to the Forums.

It's a joint mark, maybe. Photos will help us telling what it is.

Bence.

I have added pictures to the 1st post. I hope you the pictures are good enough lol

It is the same line on both the front and back. I'm thinking a joint mark. I'm just curious why the line would be exposed like that and if there is a way to fix it?

Hello.

I think, it's a lacquer crack along a body joint. The lacquer couldn't take the expansion of the wood and cracked. An experienced luthier can touch-up the finish.

Good luck... Bence.

Archived