Gibson Brands Forums

Finally I have seen Joe Bonamassa Live

awel

So yesterday, I have seen Bonamassa live for the first time.

opening act was Joanne Shaw Taylor, that was awesome, she is a killer, great player, and really like that rough female voice.

she is communicating with the audience so that was really nice.

Bonamassa, for sure it is more than in place, it is well played and everything but ... why is he always doing concept tour (the 3 kings some years ago, and British blues explosion this time)? I mean he sounds exactly like Clapton what is the interest to play like a clone even tone like?

secondly, he is the star of the show, his musicians were placed so behind him, I have the feeling that they received orders to stay behind and not to move too much. A bit sad

thirdly, he is so cold with the audience, perhaps it is because he was sick (he told that at the end of the show)

it was good ... but ...

3EEF0854-30E7-481F-BE10-3EFD44F925F3_zps2l1yqi6w.jpg

162D236A-B0AC-4EC8-84B6-38B0D49553F9_zpscxb92gnf.jpg

6B91A977-928B-4D45-AB36-8E7850AE44F5_zpsypip7gal.jpg

"sounds exactly like Clapton"

I like Eric, have for decades, but,

Joe sounds like Eric, uhmm no... nope.. ... no...

euh ... Yes believe me, I like Eric for decades as well, the most significant moment was when he did a cover of Eric 'Pretending', he played it on a 335 and except for his voice, it was confusing, I have to look twice because I was thinking it was a strat but it was a 335.

He got the vibrato as Eric, same phrasing ...

euh ... Yes believe me, I like Eric for decades as well, the most significant moment was when he did a cover of Eric 'Pretending', he played it on a 335 and except for his voice, it was confusing, I have to look twice because I was thinking it was a strat but it was a 335.

He got the vibrato as Eric, same phrasing ...

Blues music aside, listen to some of his other stuff, (like anything from the first 2 black country communion projects with Glen Hughes and Jason Bonham)

you'll hear a different side of the man's ability.

Blues music aside, listen to some of his other stuff, (like anything from the first 2 black country communion projects with Glen Hughes and Jason Bonham)

[thumbup]

Bence.

I know Joe's abilities, I'm covering his 'Bridge to better days' song with my band, I just say that I don't see the point to do concept tour and to clone other legends knowing that he is already a legends

I dont know if I would agree that he sounds exactly like Clapton. I have seen Joe twice and Clapton 8 times. One thing I would say is when you talk about being "cold" towards and audience there a very few more cold than Clapton. He very rarely has any interaction or "story" telling or explanations concerning the songs 95% of the time it is only "thank you" at the end of each song and that is it. Clapton also is pretty high up on the list as far as doing cover songs and even admits that he does mostly covers on recent album due to being lazy. I still like Clapton but there is a "pass" given to him due to his reputation on a lot of things.

I know Joe's abilities, I'm covering his 'Bridge to better days' song with my band, I just say that I don't see the point to do concept tour and to clone other legends knowing that he is already a legends

we do about 10 of Joes songs, amd yea, that's one of them we do too.

as for the concept tours or what have you,, I have no problem with it, he's promoting himself, and not on the shnyde of any labels or corporations, so he's rolling his own and being quite successful.. IMO I don't see anyone ripping it up like this guy is doing right now. At least one album a year... he's one of the busiest guys in the bizz.

Archived