Gibson Brands Forums

FUZZ

Karloff

I too enjoy the Fuzz lifestyle and ethos.... [thumbup]

IMX many 'Heavy Metal' hi gain pedals can provide a smooth, long sustain fuzz-type sound

The EHX Big Muff suits many people...although I find it too 'grainy' so post-add an EQ pedal to scoop the mids and smooth it out.... [thumbup]

I read somewhere that the 'Satisfaction' fuzz has been re-issued...

V

:-({|=

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always had a love hate affair with Overdrive / Distortion pedals. preferred to just let the amp do it. always had a wah, maybe a chorus. but i'm really looking forward to the fuzz. between trying a few out locally & talking with you guys.

IMX many 'Heavy Metal' hi gain pedals can provide a smooth, long sustain fuzz-type sound

The EHX Big Muff suits many people...although I find it too 'grainy' so post-add an EQ pedal to scoop the mids and smooth it out.... [thumbup]

I read somewhere that the 'Satisfaction' fuzz has been re-issued...

V

You're right I love the Boss HM-2 as a fuzz [thumbup]

Satisfaction was recorded with a Maestro FZ-1, which was the first fuzz pedal available on the market. The EHX Satisfaction fuzz is a completely different circuit with silicon transistors based on the Jordan Bosstone.

Here's a pic of my Maestro FZ-1A, the model which came after the FZ-1. These are cool pedals, they really sound good with humbuckers and work in a band pretty nicely (aside from the horrible bypass which let's fuzz bleed into the bypass signal)

499D1D80-A1CB-4264-8CD3-2DCBE55300C8_zpsrsrkqqfp.jpg

That part actually sounds pretty cool to me... [biggrin]

And the hard-wired input cable is just another bonus huh? [flapper]

Gibson made a couple faux paxs but who can blame them.. There was no preexisting idea to draw from.

Hit me up if you need any parts for that MKII build!

What fantastic information Guys.

I find the whole thing of boxes bewildering so only use a Chorus Box but I would love to make that sweet dry sound that John Mayer gets. Any advise on that?

I've never heard of John Mayer using a fuzz. I think you could do that with just an amp or maybe an overdrive or compressor

Regarding Fuzz and other similar tonal objectives....

May I introduce the Boss ME multi pedal range... [thumbup]

In one convenient floor box with 4 foot-switches and a volume/effect swell pedal

It has fuzz and several more o/d and distortion effects

Chorus,Delay,Phase,Flange,Compressor,Octave,Harmoniser.....

And a very decent Rotary and Uni-Vibe... [thumbup]

Solid pro build quality....I recently picked up an as new used ME70 for £100.... [biggrin]

V

I find the whole thing of boxes bewildering so only use a Chorus Box but I would love to make that sweet dry sound that John Mayer gets. Any advise on that?

John Mayer's tone is in his hands mostly, but after that it gets complicated.

Here's a pedal-by-pedal breakdown:

http://www.johnmayergear.com/pedals/

And here also is an older 'rig rundown' including frame freezes that substantiate much of what was described in the top link.

http://www.effectsbay.com/2011/09/john-mayer-pedal-line-breakdown/

In most of the larger venue concerts, John Mayer has the soundboard technicians doing most of the switching for him.

I did witness a John Mayer Trio show however where he did everything for himself onstage, and did a lot of fiddling with the parameters on a variety of pedals in between songs.

:)

got the Moen Fuzz Moo pedal the other night. initially tried it with my Firebird & Traynor combo. didn't like it at all. thought "well, i'll hold onto to it for a bit then sell it". hooked up the Orange & my old Strat this morning. thats it ! thats that sound ... so I'm sure before, the Traynor didn't have much to do with it not sounding like I wanted. somewhat close to the Band of Gypsies tone Hendrix had. The fuzz, with the MXR Uni-Vibe & my Strat. i like it !

pedal_board.jpg

V

Hmm...."the Fuzz lifestyle"...sounds good!

I have 9 'dirtbox' pedals but only one of them is a true fuzz (Foxrox CC2).

My modded Rat and DS-1 both come close though.

Just for fun I got my fuzzes together for a group shot... A lot of them I built myself.

IMG_7017.jpg

The Live at Leeds is the first pedal I ever built. It's a BYOC copy of the SuperFuzz Pete Townsend used on the Leeds album, so I made the enclosure accordingly.

The red one is called a Red Hot Cilicon. Not sure what it's supposed to be, but it's a super high gain silicon fuzz for sure. I built it from a kit.

Next to it is an Octavia clone I built from a General Guitar Gadgets board. Sounds good as a fuzz, but the octave is the magic in this one for sure.

The Big Muff... GGG 1970 triangle era Muff kit. More mids than a modern one, but still a Muff so it's pretty scooped.

Lower left is a DAM Meathead I built. A very cool fuzz with a cocked wah sound - and very high gain and one of my swirly enclosures.

The purple one may be my favorite... it's a four-knob Fuzz Face clone I built on a GGG board. This one is positive ground, so it doesn't work as well on a pedal board - but stick it in front of a Marshall and you really don't need anything else... very Hendrixey.

The last two I did not build... the silver one is a Colour Jumbo (74 era Tonebender clone) from Big Knob pedals - they do great stuff and it plays nicely with others since it's negative ground.

Same for the last one - a black Fuzz Face built by our own Dub. Like the purple FF, put this one in front of a Marsahll is all you need (well maybe a Vibe too) This one also is negative ground so it works fine on a power supply and it sounds way better than production Fuzz Faces... I owned them and there is no comparison!

Together they can really pile on the fuzz! [biggrin]

IMG_7018.jpg

Just for fun I got my fuzzes together for a group shot... A lot of them I built myself.

IMG_7017.jpg

The Live at Leeds is the first pedal I ever built. It's a BYOC copy of the SuperFuzz Pete Townsend used on the Leeds album, so I made the enclosure accordingly.

The red one is called a Red Hot Cilicon. Not sure what it's supposed to be, but it's a super high gain silicon fuzz for sure. I built it from a kit.

Next to it is an Octavia clone I built from a General Guitar Gadgets board. Sounds good as a fuzz, but the octave is the magic in this one for sure.

The Big Muff... GGG 1970 triangle era Muff kit. More mids than a modern one, but still a Muff so it's pretty scooped.

Lower left is a DAM Meathead I built. A very cool fuzz with a cocked wah sound - and very high gain and one of my swirly enclosures.

The purple one may be my favorite... it's a four-knob Fuzz Face clone I built on a GGG board. This one is positive ground, so it doesn't work as well on a pedal board - but stick it in front of a Marshall and you really don't need anything else... very Hendrixey.

The last two I did not build... the silver one is a Colour Jumbo (74 era Tonebender clone) from Big Knob pedals - they do great stuff and it plays nicely with others since it's negative ground.

Same for the last one - a black Fuzz Face built by our own Dub. Like the purple FF, put this one in front of a Marsahll is all you need (well maybe a Vibe too) This one also is negative ground so it works fine on a power supply and it sounds way better than production Fuzz Faces... I owned them and there is no comparison!

Together they can really pile on the fuzz! [biggrin]

IMG_7018.jpg

Nice collection man. I must have forgotten about the DAM Meathead clone. I got a couple DAM pedals and I love em

What transistors do you have in the 4 knob FF?

Archived