Gibson Brands Forums

AJ-45ME Satin Finish Removal

KrisMiller

Love this new guitfiddle I bought. Would like to strip the satin poly to natural & then respray a proper nitro finish. Anyone here with experience removing Epi satin poly finishes? Would the heat gun technique work? Are their safe chemical poly strippers available? Thanks in advance for any help.

Love this new guitfiddle I bought. Would like to strip the satin poly to natural & then respray a proper nitro finish. Anyone here with experience removing Epi satin poly finishes? Would the heat gun technique work? Are their safe chemical poly strippers available? Thanks in advance for any help.

I think a couple guys here have buffed down the satin, very carefully, creating a gloss finish. You're talking about quite a larger project!

I agree with Cougar. Take it to someone who has a buffing wheel and have it buffed to an ALMOST gloss. Even then you are (from what I'very read) you're looking at a couple hundred dollars.

You can do it by hand using automotive products with light abrasives (there is YouTube videos out there on it).

I learned a valuable lesson years ago (30+) when I ruined a pawn shop J45 tying to make it look like a new guitar. That said, you may fare better. Nitro finishes are incredible complicated finishes (watch how long it takes Martin to do a nitro finish). You will pay at least the price of the guitar I'd venture to guess.

Archived