Gibson Brands Forums

gibson axcess vs historic

lolo_guitar

I wanted to have all the sounds for the price

Simple.

Practice more on your playing. Then you can get any sound you like with any LP you pick up.

If you fancy push-pull pots that limits your model-range somewhat but from those out there so fashioned they will still all be much the same.

Practice.

Ability and technique make far, far more difference to your 'sound' than does a different version of what is basically the same instrument.

P.

Also note...

Most, if not all the Les Pauls will sound the same in Your hands, through Your pedals and amps. It's that simple. You might lower the volume on them, cut back the treble, still, all will sound kind the same. Even, my Tele sounds very similiar to my Les Pauls.

If You want to spend money, it's OK. It's Yours. But to achieve tonal variations, either consider completely different guitar designs, or invest in different amplifiers. Probably, that will take You there easier.

All the pickup configurations, wiring options in the same guitar through the same amp played by the same hands, make very subtle differences in tone. Add a bit of gain, and they are all gone.

This is my little Les Paul collection:

HPIM3381_zps987edbcb.jpg

I tried to collect as different LPs, as it was possible. I play a lot clean, or at low gain levels. Through a clean amp they are different, but add a Tube Screamer and I will be confused easily in a blindfold test. And these three have different pickups! What if they were all equipped with the variations of the PAF pickup? No way, I could tell them apart.

Try a bunch of them in a shop, and You will see.

Bence.

• 2 weeks later...

good

what i can say is that my lp studio sound warm

i suppose that the Standard or Axcess sounds a little brighter

and it's a good thing

not very bright but just a little can add more brightness to have a beautiful sound

i really wonder if if must buy a LES PAUL AXCESS CUSTOM floyd rose

because i have this opportunity

Guest Farnsbarns

No reason at all to think a historic or access will be brighter. What makes you think they will be?

No reason at all to think a historic or access will be brighter. What makes you think they will be?

My not particularly educated theory would be:

Provided that your brightometer is finely enough calibrated, there are only 2 possible readings - either more-brighterer, or, less-brighterer, than your benchmark comparator. Since in this case the benchmark, the LP Studio, is considered 'warm' (i.e. comparatively less-brighterer), then the odds favour another random guitar being more-brighterer than the benchmark.

i listened to some videos

generally,a good clean tone is very important

i can't say my lp studio sounds bright

a standard or trad 2016 seems to sound bright with the clean channel

i played with both too in a shop

when you pay the price, you can expect a very good clean tone

bright enough

and that's why i noticed with some videos

i will show you the videos

how can we insert the videos here ?

just the pickups? i don't think so

the les paul studio is not known for a bright clean sound

not big differences studio / axcess

the axcess sounds a little bit better to my ears

but the standard sounds really different

brighter tones like the traditional lp

so, for a warm - bright tone together with the neck position

the standard-trad 2016 sound really good

for classic bluesy rock tones

the studio model has not this brightness but it's not the same price

that"s the difference to pay

Guest Farnsbarns

Sorry mate but I just disagree. The Studio is not known for sounding warm, it's known for sounding like a Les Paul with Humbuckers, as are the others. It just comes down to individual guitars, amps, amp settings and fingers. The video comparison tells us nothing.

Simple.

Practice more on your playing. Then you can get any sound you like with any LP you pick up.

If you fancy push-pull pots that limits your model-range somewhat but from those out there so fashioned they will still all be much the same.

Practice.

Ability and technique make far, far more difference to your 'sound' than does a different version of what is basically the same instrument.

P.

Well said.

And remember what Keith Richards said : "Give me five minutes and I make them all sound the same"

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2015 Les Paul classic, and I also had a 2012 Les Paul axcess.

Side-by-side the Floyd Rose imparts a definite metallic flavor into the tone. I have a JVM Marshall amplifier.

It's very hard to describe but it was very different than the classic 57plus, in the low gain to crunchy gain levels.

As you turn up the gain they start to become very similar, but I switched the 498T out to a burstbucker 3, a Dimarzio PAF Pro, I finally left Dimarzio Fred in there.

I definitely wanted to get rid of that clanky metallic string noise , Mostly noticed during the string attack phase, I changed out the Floyd Springs to ultra quiet rubber coated Floyd Rose Springs.That helped a little bit. Also upgraded to a fat Floyd Rose's block Again that warmed it up. But just not enough.

It was just much more difficult to get that warm yet bright burstbucker PAF crunch tone. The Floyd Rose was fantastic fun at higher gain settings.

I have to say the power chords were definitely tight bottom end, Which I enjoyed.

I just couldn't bond with it so I sold it.

It is a very good guitar though, but definitely lacks some vintage tone aspects of and has more modern sound.

I would say that metal players and hard rock definitely would like the guitar.

However I put a pearly gates in my Les Paul classic now one of the best guitars I've ever owned. ZZ Top's, slash, Guns and roses tones just fall out of it.

Archived