Gibson Brands Forums

Sorry but Weight relieved Les Pauls are NOT Les Pauls

Macmutt

Yeah, Scales you drunken buffoon you.... He's edited his last line "it's been fun trolling..."

That's a bit weird of him. He's a bit special.

Ah, that's a relief actually, if you saw it in that post by the OP and then saw it subsequently removed, cos the first time I saw it was in a later re-quote and at that time it wasn't shown in the OP's post...and unfortunately the system allows you to change what someone said in a quote (as demonstrated in my changing your quote above - just for fun of course [smile] ) which would suck. I just thought it out of context with the rest of post 136.

PS Everyone is special.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did he KB?

'Cos Post 136 doesn't include that word.

So I hope you're right, else something has occurred here.

what has occurred here is that you read it too late, .. as already pointed out, it was edited..

here is the post prior to the edit. I have no use for the trolls,, do you? We should not feed them..

Well i've said my piece, you guy's can continue to go on debating, ridiculing, insulting or picking apart my guitar or other comments i made.

Enjoy yourselves, and i genuinely hope each one of you is happy with what ever guitars you own.

The important thing to remember is we all love playing guitars, and that should give us enough common ground to be civil to one another at the very least.

It's been fun Trolling, take care all.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was attending my weekly Guitar Class at Ustream and Steve Krenz's class, he had a special guest on Mr. Greg Gruhn of Gruhn's famous guitar store in Nashville TN. He had a 59 Les Paul Destined for a museum that Steve was playing and they were discussing. The conversation came up about Les Pauls and weight relief because I asked the question. Now this guy is a walking encyclopedia on Les Pauls and probably any other guitar known to man. He said that Players were the ones who wanted lighter wood for tone and sustain during that time and that was why Les Paul and a lot of other produces began pursuing lighter woods and weight relief in order to achieve not what they wanted, but what the players wanted. I will trust the guy who was actually there...no kidding the guy is old but sharper than a tack. So my Les Paul and you Les Paul are Les Pauls weight relived or not. Listen to the man yourself...good stuff. Ustream Steve Krenz live lessons...Tuesday the 2nd of August...Topic Major Scales with a special guest. Steve also gets to play a $300,000.00 Guitar if you are interested...3

Well that was fun... I enjoyed it enough that I didn't even stop to play Freecell during my lunch break. I have a weight relieved Les Paul Classic Antique. It's a Gibson, so I consider it a real Les Paul.

Maybe he should have started out with, any company besides Gibson that claims to make a Les Paul is really not a Les Paul. But that probably wouldn't have been as much fun. [flapper]

He meant to say: George Gruhn

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gruhn

He IS literally a walking guitar encyclopedia.

His staff at www.guitars.com repair and restore millions of dollars worth of guitars each year.

If I had a $300,000 Les Paul I'd only see these guys.

Searcy is probably having coffee with George right now.

rct

Awesome thread!

Just a few quick thoughts...

Lots of people - including several owners of music stores - consider the 2015 Gibsons a gigantic failure. This is because these guitars are very radically different from the heritage, and the so-called improvements were forced upon us. These did not sell well, and music store owners had a real headache because they had a hard time getting rid of them.

The wider fretboard actually makes the guitar - not - feel like a real Les Paul, at all. I will let you play my Standard Historic '59 from the Custom Shop: that's what a real old school Les Paul feels like. It is - the way you like it - not weight-relieved. However, the backs are selected for their light weight, believe it or not. A true historic Les Paul is lighter than you would think, even though they are - not - weight-relieved.

You know what guitars have been associated with their heavy weight? Les Paul Customs! You have a Standard, for crying out loud. I'm not trying to bash you here, but you have no clue what kind of specs the Les Pauls had that your guitar heroes played.

Anyway, enjoy your guitar. To each their own, but I just wanted to set the record straight on several things.

True! I was talking more about historically correct specs and vintage feel of the guitars that our guitar heroes played.

Well I'd love to take up your generous offer and play your Custom Shop '59.

Until then I will make do with my wide necked model.

I haven't long been accustomed to a 'regular' Gibson neck width, but I am now entirely comfortable with them. But if push comes to shove, I still prefer the extra room on the 2015s.

Well I'd love to take up your generous offer and play your Custom Shop '59.

Until then I will make do with my wide necked model.

I haven't long been accustomed to a 'regular' Gibson neck width, but I am now entirely comfortable with them. But if push comes to shove, I still prefer the extra room on the 2015s.

Haha! We'll have to set up a meeting, then. I'm in Europe, though :P Don't know if that works for ya.

Oh, but I'm not saying the traditional width is "better." To each their own when it comes to preferences. That's why that wide neck is offered as an option nowadays, and that's great.

Haha! We'll have to set up a meeting, then. I'm in Europe, though :P Don't know if that works for ya.

Oh, but I'm not saying the traditional width is "better." To each their own when it comes to preferences. That's why that wide neck is offered as an option nowadays, and that's great.

My location is under my avatar.

The 2016 HP models neck width are still not as wide as the 2015 models, which are so far unique.

But I agree that choice is good (even though choosing an LP is confusing!)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I know I'm way late to this party, but I just spent the last 45 minutes reading this thread - hysterical, fun way to spend a bit of the evening... So I collect and play (not professionally) and I have 2014's and 2015's. My story is I love them all. They're different, but as was mentioned by one poster, it's the player - not sure Mark Knopfler would have issues with any of them.post-78746-045606600 1472515669_thumb.jpg

OP, just to help us out here, can you post up a list of the Les Paul models you own and have owned together with their years of manufacture. If you currently own both solid and weight relieved examples I'd love to hear sound clips of you playing both so we can hear the difference.

There might be a few people who are reading this thread who may not know this but those who want non-weight relieved LPs can still buy them in the form of custom shop reissues and, recently, the odd Gibson USA production line models which are non-weight relieved. Also FYI Gibson does actively filter out different weights of cut out bodies for specific models. Weight relieving is a way of making Gibson LPs more affordable and accessible with purportedly minimal difference to the sound. In fact it took someone having their LP x-rayed in an airport for people to notice that this practice was occurring...

OP, just to help us out here, can you post up a list of the Les Paul models you own and have owned together with their years of manufacture. If you currently own both solid and weight relieved examples I'd love to hear sound clips of you playing both so we can hear the difference.

Alan,

That is a perfectly-reasonable suggestion.

I concur, sir.

[thumbup]

OP, just to help us out here, can you post up a list of the Les Paul models you own and have owned together with their years of manufacture?...

I'd love to hear sound clips of you playing....

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer, Alan. Farns first asked for a sound clip when the post was new with, of course, the expected result.

The OP stayed around for four days posting complete garbage and then buggered off.

FWIW he finally owned-up way back on page 4 (post #78) that he has a 2015 Traditional.

Pip.

Archived