Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 2016 SG Standard P90 T

Heck Wilson

Has anyone purchased this guitar or played one? It's on my list. I've been playing a telecaster for a while but other guy in my band plays a strat. I need a different tone. Never had a guitar with p90s. I once owned a '72 black SG with humbuckers but sold it [cursing].

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played the Standard P90, but I did play the Standard humbucker model. Not the same thing, I know. But it felt good... nice neck. Same guitar, different pickups.

Between that, and If it sounds anything like my 2010 Classic with P90s, then I'd say you can't go wrong.

Has anyone purchased this guitar or played one? It's on my list. I've been playing a telecaster for a while but other guy in my band plays a strat. I need a different tone. Never had a guitar with p90s. I once owned a '72 black SG with humbuckers but sold it [cursing].

Hi Heck Wilson,

I just purchased a new Gibson 2016 SG Standard P-90 Traditional Spec in Heritage Cherry.

It looks good and has slightly wider neck than the 2016 Standard HiPerf model. It plays well, but I am new to the Forum and new to electrics, so I'm still learning.

My only gripe is that the intonation was off and I couldn't play it straight out of the box - as advertised - without it sounding out of tune. :(

Once I get the intonation sorted I think it will be great. :)

Waterfall

Thanks. I'm torn between the P90s and Humbuckers. I really like the looks of the '61 reissue and it has the '57 classic pickups. Nice to hear good things about the neck. I play a mexican tele right now but my hands are too big for it. I owned a '72 SG back in the day and I need that feel back.

Thanks. I'm torn between the P90s and Humbuckers. I really like the looks of the '61 reissue and it has the '57 classic pickups. Nice to hear good things about the neck. I play a mexican tele right now but my hands are too big for it. I owned a '72 SG back in the day and I need that feel back.

The 61 is a great sounding and playing guitar but you need to try one the necks are not the same as on a standard .....as always need to try before buying.

• 1 month later...

Archived