Gibson Brands Forums

Pesh is moving...to Spain!

Pesh

Hello all;

Thought I'd share some big news.

3 weeks ago today I received an offer I couldn't refuse; a job with a company in Barcelona.

I was contacted a week before by someone at the company who had obtained my details from Indeed, and was interested in talking with me. We had a quick chat on the phone on the Thursday of that week, and arranged a Skype call for the following Monday.

Monday's call went well, and I was told on the Tuesday they wanted a chat with a larger audience (their end) on Wednesday. That also went well, and I was told I'd hear the following week about what would happen next. Except on Friday I got an email stating that they were happy already and here's a job offer, when can you start?

It's something I've been considering a few years - living and working abroad for a while - and I'm not in a position where I have a good excuse to say 'no', so I enthusiastically replied 'yes'.

From today I've got 6 weeks left with my current employer and will be moving over to start mid-September. At the moment I'm going through all the formalities of emigrating, which isn't simple as you can imagine, but it doesn't deter me!

It's going to be a big change and a slight culture shock, but I can either sink or swim at this, and I wanna swim! It's a new start in a new world and it's bloody exciting!

Just thought I'd let my guitar addict forum friends know! msp_biggrin.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best of luck, Pesh. [thumbup]

Wish I had the courage to do that. I have spent six years abroad in my childhood. But I am not able to do that now. Wish I could grab those opportunities. I became old and grumpy.

Even though, I am not getting anywhere here.

Best wishes... Bence

Congrats on the new job.,, what will you be doing? I moved to Spain in 1993, the quality of life here is very good... Great people, food, weather, beaches, nightlife... Many pluses. How old are you? I was 48 when I moved to Spain and also had an opportunity that was hard to refuse. In hine sight, I realize I gave up a lot when I moved here. My family, friends and work contacts that I had made over many years. I have been here 23 years now and as nice as it is you should consider what you are giving up.

If you have any questions or need advice send me a PM...

Best of luck!!

Wow. Exciting stuff.

We should try to meet up while you're still so close!

Definitely mate! I think a meeting our SouthEast UK 'chapter' should definitely be on the cards this summer! Would be great to meet you all and put some faces to names and guitars msp_biggrin.gif

Best of luck, Pesh. [thumbup]

Wish I had the courage to do that. I have spent six years abroad in my childhood. But I am not able to do that now. Wish I could grab those opportunities. I became old and grumpy.

Even though, I am not getting anywhere here.

Best wishes... Bence

Well if you're not too rooted, I reckon it's never too late!

Thanks very much though, Bence.

Woa, some big changes !!!

Best wishes to you Pesh,

Keep us posted!

Thanks KB; will probably have a few posts over the first few months while everything is new, exciting and chaotic so I'll make sure it's all shared about msp_biggrin.gif

Congrats on the new job.,, what will you be doing? I moved to Spain in 1993, the quality of life here is very good... Great people, food, weather, beaches, nightlife... Many pluses. How old are you? I was 48 when I moved to Spain and also had an opportunity that was hard to refuse. In hine sight, I realize I gave up a lot when I moved here. My family, friends and work contacts that I had made over many years. I have been here 23 years now and as nice as it is you should consider what you are giving up.

If you have any questions or need advice send me a PM...

Best of luck!!

Thanks very much, Dave! The job is mostly the same as what I already do, which is software analytics and development.

I'm 28 at the moment; not got a partner here in the UK, and no property that I can't easily let go of. So I'm thinking that's not a bad position to be in to do it. A lot of my friends are darting about the planet as they go through their travelling phase and such, and the job will have me back in the UK visiting clients and the other offices every 5 or 6 weeks (paid for by them msp_thumbup.gif) so I can always take a detour on the way back!

I've visited Spain more times than I can count and never had a bad experience; you're right on with the people, food, weather and such; it's all much better. I know it'll be different living it rather than holidaying it, but I've got confidence that the life there will be a good one.

I do have one question; relevant to the move and this forum and why we're all here - what music stores do you use in Spain?! msp_biggrin.gif

I do have one question; relevant to the move and this forum and why we're all here - what music stores do you use in Spain?! msp_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a great opportunity and not that risky for you.., do you speak Spanish? I learned to speak the language here. Check out the official School of Languages ( La Escuela Oficial de Ideomas ). It's a great school and it's subsidized by the government so it's dirt cheep but very good. It's a 5 year course very comprehensive, covers grammar, vocabulary, history, literature and the culture... I graduated and have a degree from them..,

Music stores, lots of mom and pop stores still... You should have fun discovering them! No real big chain stores but many people buy on line from Thommas in Germany, good prices and free shipping.., There is a fairly large store here called Bosco that I use but they are a bit expensive but good to have a handy place when you need something fast...

Congratulations Pesh. You're a brave soul; I'm sure it will go well as a result.

Umm, Gentle Giant. Thought I was the only one left from those days!

Thanks very much mate! Hoping it all does indeed go well; it's kinda scary but more exciting!

Congratulations Pesh. You're a brave soul; I'm sure it will go well as a result.

Umm, Gentle Giant. Thought I was the only one left from those days!

Wow Gentle Giant, I used to love that band… I saw them live in Boston at the Rat, they were just as good live as on their recordings…

Wow Gentle Giant, I used to love that band… I saw them live in Boston at the Rat, they were just as good live as on their recordings…

Yea, they were great. And to get back on track, Pesh is moving to Spain to make his mark and some real good money. Great when opportunity knocks!

Sounds like a great opportunity and not that risky for you.., do you speak Spanish? I learned to speak the language here. Check out the official School of Languages ( La Escuela Oficial de Ideomas ). It's a great school and it's subsidized by the government so it's dirt cheep but very good. It's a 5 year course very comprehensive, covers grammar, vocabulary, history, literature and the culture... I graduated and have a degree from them..,

Music stores, lots of mom and pop stores still... You should have fun discovering them! No real big chain stores but many people buy on line from Thommas in Germany, good prices and free shipping.., There is a fairly large store here called Bosco that I use but they are a bit expensive but good to have a handy place when you need something fast...

Ooh thanks for the advice about the language school; will make a note of that! What level of degree is it, or equivalent? Sounds like an interesting venture and something to do msp_biggrin.gif

I know of Thomann; I had a feeling they'd be the biggest, even though they're over in Germany. I had done a quick Google search but hadn't found many promising aspects.

As I mentioned above somewhere; I'll be in the UK a few times a year still, so I can always swing by my favourites @ Andertons, pick something up, and sneak it over the border msp_thumbup.gif

I've got some friends in Valencia, which I'm sure to visit, so we might be able to meet up at some point in the near future once I'm settled!

Archived