Gibson Brands Forums

Honeybee Lullaby - Buc Original - Take 2

Buc McMaster

Well, here's the re-written, re-recorded version of what was Sweetly Humming, a title I thought was a bit strange. Thanks to Larry for calling it a lullaby, thereby suggesting a better moniker. I am still disappointed in my ability to play guitar for this and, after half a dozen attempts, decided this is as good as it's gonna get for me; I think of myself as a writer moreso than a player anyway. The lyrics are improved with better flow and fit, me thinks.......some may think otherwise........ Thank you all for your kind comments on the previous take of this tune and I sincerely hope this one does not disappoint.

Honeybee Lullaby July 2106

I been thinkin' 'bout the mountain, slowly melting to the sea

And all the stars that can't be counted, forever shining silently

The honeybee in the flowers, sweetly humming as he flies

The sleeping seed waits for the showers, and springs to life to touch the sky

This old world will go on turning

That old moon will wax and wane

The old sun will go on burning

But you and I will fade away

A summer rain falls on the prairie, thunder rolls behind the clouds

The mustang often seems contrary, running free and living proud

Ocean waves break on the shore line, the grassy dunes stand in their way

The mockingbird awaits the sunrise, and sings his song another day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxXnX5nKB8

As fate would have it, thunder was rolling behind the clouds as this was recorded.......some kind of sign?

That is very fine, Buc. Fade away in 3/4 time. I am really liking this.

I have a new one churning, too- and I am in the same boat, feeling it yearn to completion so I can, for heaven's sake, get on with other things (like my day job, for instance). Anyway, I'll stay up and listen so long as you are staying up writing...

(Damn-I don't even know most of the chords you're playing there. 😋 Impressive; impressed.)

Buc this is a fine song.

I love the melody and chord changes.The lyrics work really well as a whole matching the feel of the melody.There are a couple of lyric phrases that are a bit generic (to my ears) that could maybe have a tweak to push them away from the over familiar.But that's a really small quibble.

edit..actually I just had another listen and I think my criticism wasn't justified.There is a familar feel "to the old world keeps on turning" but here it does really work well - almost comforting.

That said there is also some very striking imagery...ie the contrary mustang.

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .

Beautiful job.

Thanks for giving this a listen [smile].

Keith: Thanks! Maybe we can spend some time when I make a run to OKC.

Dan: Indeed! I hear the same fiddle, crying softly. Maybe someday, huh........

Anne: I appreciate that from a fellow writer. I tend to do marathon sessions to get them done as quickly as possible. Lot of re-write in this one.

Larry: Yeah I like this guitars' tone as well. Choked up to the 4th it's pretty punchy and dry. Sang it better capo-ed at the 5th but I was running out of playing room!

FB: The chords are a combination of two different things I was trying to do and the two together made for some wiggle room with the melody.

Sal: A trail song........ Hadn't thought of it that way but that does seem to fit, huh. Someday I'll contend!

Thanks again for the kind words, folks. It's nice to have a place among friends.

Yes, also enjoyed that muchly. As FB wrote the melody sounds sweet and tasty chord selections, with some nice 7th and maybe 9ths thrown in ? Your voice suits this style of playing and its realy easy on the ear as Larry like to say.

Thanks Mark! There are a few 7th chords in there; don't think there's any 9ths..........there are a few that I cannot name. I don't read music or know any theory beyond I-IV-V progressions. I know one major scale and one minor, the rest I stumble upon as I fiddle around on the fretboard. And Rb, I'm very glad I bought this Hummingbird too! Thanks for watching!

Though not in the same places, as FB suggested earlier, I felt like there were some weak spots in the lyric. I've spent the day re-writing a few lines to great affect, I think. More importantly (to me!) I have greatly improved the vocal and sussed out some nice guitar licks, filling in some blanks. Overall I think the result is a hugely improved song and in a few days I intend to replace this video with a new take. I believe this to be my best effort ever with the tweaks I've made, both lyrically and musically, and of course I want the best take I can get. If you folks have had your fill of this one that's fine........I won't bump the thread when the video changes.......but there is a better job coming!

Thanks very much for watching and I do appreciate your kindness and tolerance! [smile]

Bump away! Love it; your revisions were subtle and true, and I just love your touch with this performance. Awesome.

And, it happens to be thundering here, as I listen. Adds dimension, I must say.

This is might sweet, in all the good ways...Thanks for bringing it.

As always, very nicely done Buc. Quite enjoyed that.

I know you're really busy right now, being enraptured by the muse and all. But I've been wondering lately if you'd consider doing a sort of miniature master class for the folks here on the forum.

By that I mean could you take a song--one of the old standards you're so good at--and show us how you would approach it with the guitar and then with the uke? (Or vice versa.) And give us some chatter about working with and around both instruments, your approach, thought process....

I'm really interested in how you do what you do and why.

Thanks.

FMA

Any chance of chords ? Just to get us started ya know

Well as best I can, sure, but you have to agree to take up my challenge and cover this one with your fingerpicking style!

First of all, the guitar is tuned down one half step and capo-ed at the 5th, but for simplicity's sake here, let's ignore the half step and the capo and I'll show the chords as if the guitar were in standard tuning and not capo-ed at all. I think this will clarify things for any wishing to make a run at this one......like Grunt! Understand that this is correct to the best of my limited knowledge and one or two chords could be misnamed, but there's enough correct that you should be able to figure out a correct one.

INTRO:

Dm7...E7

VERSE:

A...C#m7...F#m...D...F#m...E7......(x2)......A...C#m7...F#m...D...Bm7...A

REFRAIN:

Dm7...G7...C...Am

Dm7...G7...C

Dm7...G7...C...Am

Dm7...E7

There are a few hammer-ons in there but they are not likely necessary to the rhythm. I think that is correct. Now you must do a cover! YOU MUST DO A COVER!

...........if you'd consider doing a sort of miniature master class for the folks here on the forum. ............ I'm really interested in how you do what you do and why

Waaaaa?!? [scared][blush] While I'm flattered you would ask, I could never pull off something like that, FMA! Witness my crippled attempt to give Grunt the chords.......hopeless. I'm no master with a guitar......or a ukulele for that matter. As I have said, I do not consider myself much of a guitar player and use it as a tool to write, my first love. I might could shed some light on how I go about writing a lyric but I'm not sure that's of much interest here.

Thanks to all for watching! I appreciate the love! [smile]

Waaaaa?!? [scared][blush] While I'm flattered you would ask, I could never pull off something like that, FMA! Witness my crippled attempt to give Grunt the chords.......hopeless. I'm no master with a guitar......or a ukulele for that matter. As I have said, I do not consider myself much of a guitar player and use it as a tool to write, my first love. I might could shed some light on how I go about writing a lyric but I'm not sure that's of much interest here.

You're right. I was far too ambitious in my request. I don't know what I was thinking....

Okay. How about, instead of a miniature master class, you present a minuscule McMaster class instead?

<< I might could shed some light on how I go about writing a lyric but I'm not sure that's of much interest here.>>

I'm sure that would be of interest. But what I'm wondering here is how the same song would change based on whether a guitar or a uke was in your lap. It's not about your technical prowess but about your creative approach. How are your chops affected by whether they are coming from an axe or a hatchet?

I know you're busy so don't sweat it. But maybe let it roll around in the back of your mind awhile.

FMA

How are your chops affected by whether they are coming from an axe or a hatchet?

I know the fretboard on a guitar much better than I know the same on the ukulele, so on the "hatchet" it's just chording, mostly fingerpicked since it's a "no pick" instrument and there are only four strings to worry about. Never did get a handle on fingerpicking a guitar, so.............. With only four strings it's much easier to voice odd chords on the ukulele, chords that would tie my fingers in knots on a guitar. That's why I was able to do old classics from the 20s and 30s on the little guy. A lot of those old tunes have jazzy, very melodic progressions calling for chords I can't do with six strings. From my perspective is is about technical ability: the hatchet is easier to swing than the axe and can cut in some small places the axe can't. On the other hand, the ukulele does not present enough options for me to use it as a writing tool.......never wrote a thing on a uke.

I'd still like to know the name of that G chord. I know someone here has that kind of knowledge...............

Archived