Gibson Brands Forums

Upcoming NGD.

bassetman

My 2 cents....if you're looking for big volume, the SJ100 will kill the J185 all day long. I just bought a J185TV and it has a great sound but no where near as loud as a 100, 150, or 200. I once owned a J100 and now have a J150 and J200. If deep, deep volume is what you want, get the 100. But if you want a short scale with a little sweeter, quieter, sound, the 185 should do it. Really can't go wrong with either.

Never owned a J185, but I don't doubt for a moment the great tone that I hear a lot about. THat said, I've got a J100 Walnut that's just a few months old now. Been using it a lot at home, gigs, and lately for some of the studio recording I've been doing. It's truly a monster in the sound department, with a playability/setup it came with that for me is equal to guitars that I had professionally set-up. The Gibson jumbos are big guitars and the super jumbos are even bigger. I imagine I could live with a J185 as well as a J100/200. Keep in mind the size of these guitars, because some folks are not physically built to comfortably hold and play these guitars for 2-3 and more hours........ Knowing myself, I'd likely pick a super jumbo over the jumbo, simply because it's larger.....but that's just me. Choose wisely, Grasshopper! [thumbup]

It may be down to a coin toss. The models I like are price nearly the same. Sigh....my ex said I'd end up with 50 guitars....I hate to admit she could ever be correct in anything but I could be in trouble. My J45 gets played far more than any other guitar I've had in my life. I'm very excited to add another style of guitar of equal quality.

If I were limited to one guitar, it would be a J-185. Mine is the most versatile guitar in the stable - flatpicks and finger picks equally well, and I can command most any Gibson sound/tone I want from it. Can't really comment on the size relative to comfort issue, 'cause I'm kind of a sasquatch and, to me, they're all the same in that regard.

I've got an SJ200 maple that has the best tone and responsiveness I could imagine. That said, I sometimes wonder if a J185 would be a little more comfortable, size wise. So, if I were me - I'd go for the maple J185.

Great dilemma to have - you can't really go wrong with either, of course. G'Luck.

If I could afford the SJ-200 that would be an easy choice.....maybe in a couple years after this one. This will be my first non-dreadnought acoustic.

Physical size is not the problem. The one adjective that has never been used on me is "small" ;)

So minutes before actuall money changes hands the dealer mentions he has this as well. Flame maple advanced jumbo or similar. Still like the j185 but oh so tempting for a few hundred extra.

image_zpseeaou5kp.jpeg

image_zpsp9h2nm1o.jpeg

Hmmmm. Round shouldered maple, long scale. Bet it's a crisp, quick tone from that one. Top has the dreaded runout though..........bothers some, others not. The black 185 doesn't appeal to me at all, but I'm not the buyer here so that doesn't matter. G'luck with your choosing!

If it had anything but the tiger stripe pick guard....just not right for this one in my eyes. So between the walnut so 100 the advance jumbo and the 185 ...sigh guess I could sell the car and get all three. The black on the j185 migh not be my first choice but I could sure as heck live with it and smile....there is nothing I don't like about the sj100 with its granidillo finger board...

Archived