Gibson Brands Forums

Removed my Min E-Tune

RobertAndersson

Hey,

One Min E-Tune motor broke down, I took a quick decision and removed the system.

The motor stopped working during a string change, making it impossible to tighten the string. My local dealer said they needed three weeks to get spare parts. Internet could be faster but freight costs made it expensive. Since this LP Signature has become my main live guitar, I don't like the idea to be without it for weeks when the next motor breaks. Too bad, I have really liked the system.

So, I got a set of Gibson (Grover) modern tulip style tuners. The swap was really easy. Postings in this forum were helping a lot. Looks great:

8CD37C31-A506-4C83-BF8A-73985D402564_zpsbikfq9um.jpg

//Robert

Great looking conversion. You might want to try writing to Gibson and asking them to send you a new tuner for your GeForce that way you can put it back on later if you want to.

Thanks! Tried that, by making the shop where I bought it contact the European agent. They say that since Gibson sold the company making the system, they will stick to the legal one year warranty only. Could be an option to buy one tuner anyway, not sure though if it makes it more sellable or how well it will work after some time in the drawer...

//Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely looks nice.

Do you notice any tonal differences, any differences in tuning stability.

you have kept the modification no further upgrades/

I'm about ready to do it as well,

I'm considering locking tuners, but I'm worried about the extra weight,

What are the lightest weight locking tuners available?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely looks nice.

Do you notice any tonal differences, any differences in tuning stability.

you have kept the modification no further upgrades/

I'm about ready to do it as well,

I'm considering locking tuners, but I'm worried about the extra weight,

What are the lightest weight locking tuners available?

Cheers

Sabredog,

The most significant difference is that the guitar stays in tune now also over night, with the Min E-Tune it always needed serious tuning when it has been left alone for a while.

I was a bit worried about weight since I read somewhere in this forum about someone who had put them all on a scale and noticed that my chosen tuners were heavier that the auto-system. No reason, I cannot feel any weight difference. You shouldn't have to worry.

//Robert

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a SG 2015 with G Force and want to replace the tuning system with traditional tuners.

Can not find info on the peg hole diameter.... could someone please enlight me?

//Johan

I have a 2015 SG too, peg hole diameter is 10mm (13/32")

I choose Kluson Revolution machine heads , tuners have to be light weight for an SG. Ratio is 1:19 .

Kluson, Grover, Schaller, Gotoh , etc... make good tuners too.

sg_sta43.jpg

Archived