Gibson Brands Forums

My lucky, genius band

rct

4pm - 8pm(prolly longer) tomorrow. By the bay. Outside. Hottest days of the year, today Saturday through Wednesday, tomorrow heat index here at the shore at about 103.

But MAN I'm lookin forward to it!

We had a bit of a personnel implosion over the last three weeks, so we're doing this with a fill in guitar player, but we all know and have played before together so it should be fun, very few casualties in the trainwrecks to come. Then we have to regroup, prolly go on as a three piece because I don't think other guitar player is recoverable, he's just nuts and the bass player is done with him, and it's bass players band.

rct

Do it....

You're playing 5 days consecutive?

All the best to you!

No no, the last two and next 5 to be the hottest of this year, probably Sunday and Monday among the hottest on record. A great day to be outside flogging away at it!

rct

Getting a bunch of musicians to get along can sometimes be the biggest hurdle in a band.

We been getting along, the three of us, since about 1994 or so off and on, then full time got along from 97 to 2003, then this year when we got back together. Then something snapped in him. Just went ballistic on us about volume, people that came to see us, volume, these people that were at one dive bar for one night couldn't sit and chit chat, we were too loud, we kicked him out, he will sue us if we get gigs using the CD that he is on, volume, and the people that came out that one night for about two hours at one dive bar that, I should add, loves us and we've had to turn down twice in the next two weeks because a couple of us will be away. Then he was on Facebook, which I don't do, putting bad things up I guess. He was texting me 24 hours a day about how loud we were and his friends couldn't talk. All of them smokers, with a huge patio right outside the back door just full of people pulling on their Buds and Marlbls AND enjoying our old guy rock stylings.

Yeesh, he's a knut. Don't know what happened, but it seems unfixable at this time. Stranger things have happened, him and I have both been fired from this band a couple times, so he could be back tomorrow after a little chatting I suppose.

rct

It was a hoot. Hot as blazes, but that usually brings out the best in players. Used SG all day, sang meh on harmonies, ok on leads, couldn't hear great because much to everyones surprise my 20 year old monitor crapped out. The company that made it, the store I bought it at, and the guy that sold it to me are all gone, so I'm screwed on warranty I'll tell you what. Place was packed and the crowd loved us. More importantly, the barmaids and bartenders loved us. We'll be back in one form or another, and at their other joint further inland.

rct

It was a hoot. Hot as blazes, but that usually brings out the best in players. Used SG all day, sang meh on harmonies, ok on leads, couldn't hear great because much to everyones surprise my 20 year old monitor crapped out. The company that made it, the store I bought it at, and the guy that sold it to me are all gone, so I'm screwed on warranty I'll tell you what. Place was packed and the crowd loved us. More importantly, the barmaids and bartenders loved us. We'll be back in one form or another, and at their other joint further inland.

rct

yea yea, blame the monitor. you couldn't hear cuz you were just too damn loud ! lol.

Pleased to say I don't miss any of this kind of stuff, but certainly wish all of you the very best!

I gotta tell you, sometimes I really get tired of the struggle. i wonder why I'm still doing it ? i could just sit home in my den and play along with any cd I choose ... but theres no glory in that I guess.

I gotta tell you, sometimes I really get tired of the struggle. i wonder why I'm still doing it ? i could just sit home in my den and play along with any cd I choose ... but theres no glory in that I guess.

I just finished spending about twelve years doing that, with the very occasional night out with some fellas, maybe a benefit here and there. I did really miss it for a couple years, then not so much. Then last two years I started planning retirement, and Mrs and I agreed I'd have three bands. Then I started thinking about maybe getting in a band again, not ever even thinking I'd end up with the same goofballs again.

And I'd record. But what I was recording was really my practicing. I really shouldn't have to take a 12 bar a dozen times and see which one sucks the least.

Three, four months back in a band and I'm as strong as ever, playing about the same, making it look easy again for the most part. Need some tightening up on barres down there at the other end of the guitar, but really happy to be back to being, to me, a guitar player again.

So I'ma put up with the crap until this one implodes. I know then I've got until approximately 09/2018, then I'll have a couple bands to worry about I hope.

The Oldlaws!

rct

yep, i usually once a band breaks up, i'll give myself some time to just veg out and get rusty. a few months to a few years even. longest was in mid 90's. had gone through a divorce and was tired of having to play on the every other weekend I got my kids. so I quit playing out for 6 or 7 years, till my kids reached an age where they didnt feel like hanging out with dad anymore. My energy level just isn't what it use to be. i get home from work and I sometimes just don't feel like loading up, driving to the gig, setting up ... but then once we're playing I remember why I'm still doing it. I should just be happy I am able to still do it. i just get tired.

yep, i usually once a band breaks up, i'll give myself some time to just veg out and get rusty. a few months to a few years even. longest was in mid 90's. had gone through a divorce and was tired of having to play on the every other weekend I got my kids. so I quit playing out for 6 or 7 years, till my kids reached an age where they didnt feel like hanging out with dad anymore. My energy level just isn't what it use to be. i get home from work and I sometimes just don't feel like loading up, driving to the gig, setting up ... but then once we're playing I remember why I'm still doing it. I should just be happy I am able to still do it. i just get tired.

Rat on, farm out, I can pig it. If you aren't old enough I'm sorry.

But yeah, I think what is best and the thing to keep in the front of my empty nugget is that not only am I able, which is a really big part of it, I still want to. Too many people have passed out of our lives that first didn't want to do something, and advanced quickly to not being able to do anything.

If you asked me this at midnight last night I would have told you I'm done with this, particularly because of the temperatures and lets face it, drinking 8 gallons of water so you can stay on yer feet isn't exactly feelin fine either. But one good shower and a really long sleep and going to work late and I'm just as excited for the next one as I was yesterday as I was heading for it.

I'm lucky with work I can pretty much come and go as I please, and I used to use that and still would if a gig was pushing on work time. When AC was really hopping there at the end of the 90's we did weekday beach bar concerts and I'd just move work around so I could do them with no stress, and that was just luck, same as the other guys could do similar. I'm hopeful that in a couple years it will be the only thing I have to do. Well, keepin the cats in line too, that's pretty time consuming.

rct

Had my share of personality clashes & rancour in bands before. I've been sacked a couple of times. Other times I've quit due to ill feeling or being told what and how to play or being micro managed in some form.

But Blown Out have been the one unique combination of 7 fellows that has never had those issues. We've been going for 17 years and everyone is cool. We are far too laid back to achieve anything mind you, but for just enjoying playing, we are fine. I'll probably never quit this band.

Had my share of personality clashes & rancour in bands before. I've been sacked a couple of times. Other times I've quit due to ill feeling or being told what and how to play or being micro managed in some form.

But Blown Out have been the one unique combination of 7 fellows that has never had those issues. We've been going for 17 years and everyone is cool. We are far too laid back to achieve anything mind you, but for just enjoying playing, we are fine. I'll probably never quit this band.

its nice when everyone gets along. i'm in a 3 piece, and it's like that. never a cross word. everything is always cool

my other band, theres been moments over the years. between the drummer & myself, the drummer & the bassist, or me and the bassist. 10 years ago after 1 gig, the drummer & I got into it to the point they had to separate us. lol. we laugh about it now.(i'm glad they separated us, cuz he's 12 years younger than me and definately would have won the fight. I still like to think i'd have gotten a few good shots in though) we still annoy each other sometimes, but its over before it even starts anymore. we just laugh it all off. we've known each other and played music with each other for 22 years. the worst it gets now is a heavy sigh and just shake the head.

Place was packed and the crowd loved us. More importantly, the barmaids and bartenders loved us.

Dat's what I'm talkin' about! [thumbup]

The Oldlaws!

The Florida room guitar army! [biggrin]

yep, i usually once a band breaks up, i'll give myself some time to just veg out and get rusty.

I actually think those breaks are really helpful. I took a long break from any real working band activity and when I got back into it I was a lot stronger player... tight, and mean, and chomping at the bit to blow it out... just fierce, ya know? [thumbup]

Archived