Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird - sitka vs. red spruce (adirondack) top?

SC_Wannabe

Just kind of daydreaming, thinking of selling a couple of my brand "M" guitars, and looking at various Hummingbird incarnations wondering how these two tops compare. Does it need to have a sitka top to get the sweet 'bird tone? How does red spruce sound - does it make something great even better, or does it push the tone too far to the harsh range?

I'll go out on a shaky limb and say red spruce generally is tighter and a bit harsher than sitka when new, but it ages very well to a strong, dry mellow sound with power........the best of them do, anyway. So, early on in said Hummingbirds' life, it may not sound as sweet as a sitka topped instrument of the same age........give it some time and it could well be a very nice Hummingbird after all...........

..........others may advise otherwise.

I have never been that impressed by Adi topped guitars, I find them harsh and not as responsive, I much prefer Sitka spruce. However I haven't tried any of the torrified Adi topped guitars maybe they are different as they are more broken in sounding.

Im quite cynical about the sitka vs adi thing. Id bet 99% of people would not be able to tell the difference in a blind test. I reckon its one of those draw backs of spending too much time on guitar forums.

I couldn't have said it better myself, EA. I agree completely.... [thumbup]

Certainly there are differences even if they are subtle, and perhaps most could not hear them. Like the difference between Brazilian and Indian rosewood, like a rosewood or ebony board. Distinct differences? Maybe not, but differences nonetheless.

When I play a guitar I just ask myself three questions does it sound good and does it suit my playing style lastly can I afford it . Ok certain tonewoods suit different playing styles and body shapes but to be honest did the great guitar makers think and worry about this in the glory day's . Recently I played three new 2016 hummingbird standards side by side all out of the boxes , all made from the same woods , totally different great sounding guitars slightly different sound , feel and playability each one but great guitars I then played a maple back and sided J200 that to my ears sounded warmer than the Hog and Spruce Hummingbird lastly I played a J45 Custom with Rosewood back and sides that was really really loud and up front with a great responce to fingerpicking

I don't think anyone is arguing that there is NO difference , more the point that until you have the thing in your hands then you're never going to know how much difference red or white spruce will make .

It's a little like asking what my guitar will sound like if I put Martin light strings on it

Just out of curiosity - Does anyone here actually own a Hummingbird with a red spruce top?

I was assuming that the TV model was adi since the J45TV is, but after reading the specs I see I was wrong. The Hummingbird TV is (or rather was) sitka.

Archived