Gibson Brands Forums

Questionable repairs on an L-5

ksdaddy

At the top of the (short) bucket list is an old L-5. Not looking for a 'glass case' guitar...in fact I would prefer one that has been around, something with some history.

I found a 1946 that was owned by a music teacher in NYC. In WWII he traveled with the USO, entertaining troops in Europe. Obviously the '46 was not part of that experience but he was a gigging musician after the war and was also a teacher. It looks like it has been dragged around some, and all in an honest way, not just dropped off the back of the truck.

At some point it was refretted. Note how the binding was slotted to perform the job.

That was a horrible thing to do. I can't imagine what the person was thinking. Apparently he was NOT.

And the nut? Really? How 'bout we just knock that one out and start fresh?

b7az5s.jpg

Terrible shame on both counts. I can understand that refrets on a bound neck are a pain, so you would probably lose nibs, but to cut through like that - just take some tang out! Jeez.

Terrible shame on both counts. I can understand that refrets on a bound neck are a pain, so you would probably lose nibs, but to cut through like that - just take some tang out! Jeez.

I see this on lots of vintage Gibsons but for something as high end as the L5 it's silly to do the refret the cheap way

As we say in the UK. It's a 'Bodge job'.

Larry, Bodge job is actually a corruption of the highly skilled trade of the Bodger, who worked with green wood on makeshift a lathe making traditional Winsor chairs.

Here's the Wiki entry for it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodging

Not a lot of people know that O:) As you can see, I'm full of absolutely useless information.

Ian

...Bodge job is actually a corruption of the highly skilled trade of the Bodger, who worked with green wood on makeshift a lathe making traditional Winsor chairs....

As you can see, I'm full of absolutely useless information...

Thanks for that link, Ian; I found the article to be most interesting.

Rather confusingly with regard the OP it would seem that, depending on precisely how serviceable and/or terrible the re-fret etc. has been done - and how high one sets ones' standards - the term 'Bodge-job" might - or might not - be applicable.

From the wiki entry;

"...'bodging' can also refer to a job done of necessity using whatever tools and materials come to hand and which, whilst not necessarily elegant, is nevertheless serviceable. Bodged should not be confused with a 'botched' job: a poor, incompetent or shoddy example of work..."

...so if the job is shoddy but yet serviceable is it 'botched' or 'bodged'?

Inelegant but playable = 'bodged' whereas so poorly done as to be unplayable = 'botched'?.............:-k

Any of the Brits here a University Lecturer of the English Language?

Pip.

Archived