Gibson Brands Forums

Sweat & nitro

merciful-evans

The gig I played on Friday was in a country pub ('The Gamekeeper' New Forest Hants uk) on one of the hottest nights of the year and the windows were sealed shut. We were standing in our own sweat. We were all struggling, but I could hear the sax players were having problems, as was I.

Despite that it was a great gig and we went down a storm.

I cleaned the 339 today. It took 40 minutes to remove the sweat-grime. I started as usual with slightly damp paper towels, but gradually had to add more water. Eventually I added a little soap. I've never had to do that before, but up until then I was just pushing the dirt around.

Its now rinse wiped & dried. I want to use the 339 for next Fridays gig also, but if its another hot one I may take a a poly-finished guitar instead.

Reminds of the time I had to set up on a flatbed in the middle of a baseball infield with no cover, and no shade during one of the hottest days of the year. it was brutal.

I've taken to using "guitar sleeves" by Oasis when I'm playing my gibsons,, these helps to keep your arm from hazing the spot where you typical reset. but that's just that one area, you must have had stuff all over the place from that gig.

Reminds of the time I had to set up on a flatbed in the middle of a baseball infield with no cover, and no shade during one of the hottest days of the year. it was brutal.

I've taken to using "guitar sleeves" by Oasis when I'm playing my gibsons,, these helps to keep your arm from hazing the spot where you typical reset. but that's just that one area, you must have had stuff all over the place from that gig.

Ray, I had a similar gig a few years back. flatbed, wide open, no cover. I sweat like nobodies business anyway, but that gig, it got to where i couldn't open my eyes for the sweat. it was brutal.

few gigs back, 1st gig with my Goldtop, at one point I looked down and a couple drops of sweat fell from my nose and was sitting on the edge/side of the guitar. i'm singing & playing, and in between chords, trying to wipe the sweat off my Baby ... lol. I started laughing as I sang, cuz it took 2 or 3 attempts to wipe the sweat off the guitar. lol. my guitars are usually covered in a film of sweat by the end of a gig.

Ah Doug,,, the things we endure for rock and roll right? On that particular gig, a fund raiser for a guy who lost a son (OD) from a bikers club, we had a one leg of the buildings power run out to where the bands would set up, it was phased wrong. The "electrician" that was there to do the power feed says "Wups.. sorry about that.." pinhead.

I lost a voodo labs pedal power 2, and luckily two of us only popped the fuse in our amps (spare fuses, don't leave home without em) most of the pedals I needed could use 9v.

The other guitarist didn't make out so well, he used a Marshall MG 2x12 combo, as we were to soon find out, he had no external fuse, (hard to believe but there wasn't). Thanks to one of our buddies who lived close by, he supplied a suitable amp for the guy to use.

From there went along just fine with the exception of the unrelenting sun and heat. (Bikers are easy to please, just rock them and they're happy) lesson learned, I've never shown up ANYWHERE since without a line tester in my bag-o-tricks I don't care where it is.

Yeah it was just everywhere. I've just checked out the guitar sleeves you use. Never head of those before.

Now if they only made a whole head & torso sleeve...

Yeah it was just everywhere. I've just checked out the guitar sleeves you use. Never head of those before.

Now if they only made a whole head & torso sleeve...

yea man there's no way out when it's THAT hot....

once winter comes, you may look back an think,, ahh... I'll take it..

We played a huge company party at Point Mallard Park last month, on a hot, humid Saturday afternoon.

Played under a huge pavilion (tin roof) with tons of floor space, great acoustics, free food, cold (non-alcoholic) beverages, and hundreds upon hundreds of guys and gals enjoying their burgers and hot dogs on enormous picnic tables. They were all waiting until the water park opened up just for them, and so everyone was super casual, and really loving the live music.

Up-side: Babes in bikinis everywhere, we got paid well, Lisa our girl singer had ice cold rum in her cooler for us to enjoy (discreetly), and we really rocked the event.

Down-side: It was 98 degrees in the shade, and (as everyone has related) the guitars were slick with sweat.

I had two enormous fans blowing, just hard enough to move air around, but not so hard that the microphones rippled and buffeted with wind sounds.

Man, we must've all lost about ten pounds of sweat.

It took all evening later on, just wiping off the guitars, waxing them, and buffing them off.

Good times.

[huh]

We played a huge company party at Point Mallard Park last month, on a hot, humid Saturday afternoon.

Played under a huge pavilion (tin roof) with tons of floor space, great acoustics, free food, cold (non-alcoholic) beverages, and hundreds upon hundreds of guys and gals enjoying their burgers and hot dogs on enormous picnic tables. They were all waiting until the water park opened up just for them, and so everyone was super casual, and really loving the live music.

Up-side: Babes in bikinis everywhere, we got paid well, Lisa our girl singer had ice cold rum in her cooler for us to enjoy (discreetly), and we really rocked the event.

Down-side: It was 98 degrees in the shade, and (as everyone has related) the guitars were slick with sweat.

I had two enormous fans blowing, just hard enough to move air around, but not so hard that the microphones rippled and buffeted with wind sounds.

Man, we must've all lost about ten pounds of sweat.

It took all evening later on, just wiping off the guitars, waxing them, and buffing them off.

Good times.

[huh]

when it's that bad, the drummer & I typically chug gatoraide like its goin out of style. theres a bar in Ocean City, Md. that we've played alot over the years. they used to have the stage in a corner, with overhang over the stage. we would line our empty gatoraide bottles up top inside the stage overhang. by september, there would be 30 empty gatoraide bottles.

when it's that bad, the drummer & I typically chug gatoraide like its goin out of style. theres a bar in Ocean City, Md. that we've played alot over the years. they used to have the stage in a corner, with overhang over the stage. we would line our empty gatoraide bottles up top inside the stage overhang. by september, there would be 30 empty gatoraide bottles.

Yeah, for sure.

They company bikini girls kept bringing us jugs of water, and we downed them right away.

The jugs of water that is.

[drool]

Archived