Gibson Brands Forums

Stings gauge drop D

Run

Hi, I'm using Martin Lifespan SP on my Songwriter and I find that singing in drop D tuning makes it easier to sing many songs but using light 11-52 (even after ajusting the neck) induce a lot of buzzing frets; so will using heavier gauge solve the problem and what gauge is the best ?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm using Martin Lifespan SP on my Songwriter and I find that singing in drop D tuning makes it easier to sing many songs but using light 11-52 (even after ajusting the neck) induce a lot of buzzing frets; so will using heavier gauge solve the problem and what gauge is the best ?

Thanks.

Yes definitely. I have my Larrivee D10 tuned to D and use 13's on it. Sounds great, really special tone compared to my E tuned guitars. But have it set up by a luthier for tuning in D. It might require some trussrod adjustment.

Yes definitely. I have my Larrivee D10 tuned to D and use 13's on it. Sounds great, really special tone compared to my E tuned guitars. But have it set up by a luthier for tuning in D. It might require some trussrod adjustment.

Thanks, do the 5th and 6th strings sound muddier wit that gauge?

Looking at the website that supply my strings I see that you can now purchase string sets calibrated for dropped D tuning ( they have a heavier gauge for the bass strings ) I live in the uk and I use Strings Direct

Thanks, do the 5th and 6th strings sound muddier wit that gauge?

No, I don't think so. They sound different of course, a little less tight than regular E and A I would call it. On my D10 they actually sound great, a special rich bass sound. I think you really need the thicker gauge if you are going down a whole step. Also the entire string tension will then hardly have changed which is a good thing for the guitar.

maybe a wee tweak of the truss rod is all you need , if you're going to keep the guitar tuned down

Bluesking on here has a couple tuned down a step or two.

I'm sure he'll chip in on this

Sometimes have mine down a half a step . It will of course buzz easier than if it's tuned up to standard .but I just don't hit it as hard . If I kept it half a step down all the time then I would give the truss rod a quarter turn , leave it a day or so and see if that worked

Just to be a smart arse and also to maybe help you get clearer answers , what you're doing is tuning down a whole step , not double drop D . Double drop D is the name given to tuning just the two E strings

Down tuning is a popular way of easing some songs chord wise...Paul McCartney used 'tone-down' tuning on classics like 'Yesterday'

I use it a lot of necessity on 12 strings...usually 3 frets down to C#....mostly without changing string gauge

It's all a matter of personal taste...I keep one 6str tuned to C# with D'Addario 11-48's....plays well but has occasional unstable tuning issues

Tried using 12-54's for down tuning without success a while back

In general IMX down tuning introduces capo issues regarding tuning stability and intonation

As mentioned...a guitar used permanently down tuned may benefit from truss rod and other adjustments

V

:-({|=

Archived