Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Thunderbird IV finish cracking on side of neck?

asa

Hi guys,

I've noticed this for a while, but in restringing the old 'Bird, I've been bothered by this once again —*the finish leading up to the fretboard has begun to crackle and peel off. (See photos!)

I'm wondering if this is from storing it improperly (in a rack stand rather than flat in its case!), or if it's something else; I bought it used, and it had some of this to begin with.

Any suggestions for maintaining it, or repairing it? Using painter's tape for polishing frets unfortunately pulled off a bit more finish (d'oh) — won't be using that again (metal fret covers only!)

Thanks everyone,

Asa

post-79790-052378600 1469462551_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

I've noticed this for a while, but in restringing the old 'Bird, I've been bothered by this once again —*the finish leading up to the fretboard has begun to crackle and peel off. (See photos!)

I'm wondering if this is from storing it improperly (in a rack stand rather than flat in its case!), or if it's something else; I bought it used, and it had some of this to begin with.

Any suggestions for maintaining it, or repairing it? Using painter's tape for polishing frets unfortunately pulled off a bit more finish (d'oh) — won't be using that again (metal fret covers only!)

Thanks everyone,

Asa

Hello Asa; welcome to the forums.

While I can't be certain; the image you've attached seems to show something called finish checking. This is something that happens to guitars over their lifetime; where the lacquer coating dries, ages, and cracks in hairline fractures.

The environment in which the guitar is kept is contributing factor as well; particularly if the guitar goes through sudden temperature changes. An example of this would be travelling with the guitar in a case at night, and then getting it home in the warm. Opening the case after the guitar has got cold on that journey and suddenly exposing it to warm air can have these effects. Letting it warm gradually to the environment will help avoid this.

The effect on the top end of your neck is possible exacerbated by the position, as I imagine your palm or thumb rests in this spot a lot when fretting chords, which will increase the lacquer wear through erosion more in this spot.

How old is the 'bird you mention? In a lot of ways, this is the unavoidable, natural, and graceful ageing of your 'bird.

Hello Asa; welcome to the forums.

While I can't be certain; the image you've attached seems to show something called finish checking. This is something that happens to guitars over their lifetime; where the lacquer coating dries, ages, and cracks in hairline fractures.

The environment in which the guitar is kept is contributing factor as well; particularly if the guitar goes through sudden temperature changes. An example of this would be travelling with the guitar in a case at night, and then getting it home in the warm. Opening the case after the guitar has got cold on that journey and suddenly exposing it to warm air can have these effects. Letting it warm gradually to the environment will help avoid this.

The effect on the top end of your neck is possible exacerbated by the position, as I imagine your palm or thumb rests in this spot a lot when fretting chords, which will increase the lacquer wear through erosion more in this spot.

How old is the 'bird you mention? In a lot of ways, this is the unavoidable, natural, and graceful ageing of your 'bird.

Hi Pesh — thanks for all your insights! It's a 2000 Thunderbird, and I only got it in 2013, so it spent the majority of its lifetime with uncertain care. I was just concerned it was definitively associated with lateral force on the neck (from the aforementioned rack stand, rather than a neck-dangling stand, which ALSO puts strain on these giant heavy things!). It's seen a fair bit of use, both live and in the studio since I got it, but because of the asymmetrical body, it was only recently it started being in a rack stand more than its HSC.

I'll be mindful of the temperature changes — not having A/C doesn't help in the summer months, though the basement is generally cooler than the rest of the house. Winter traveling is definitely another partial factor...!

Thanks for all the information, though! Should I be worried about any splitting of the fretboard and neck? That's my major concern at the moment — that this will lead to more serious, structural damage.

Hi Pesh — thanks for all your insights! It's a 2000 Thunderbird, and I only got it in 2013, so it spent the majority of its lifetime with uncertain care. I was just concerned it was definitively associated with lateral force on the neck (from the aforementioned rack stand, rather than a neck-dangling stand, which ALSO puts strain on these giant heavy things!). It's seen a fair bit of use, both live and in the studio since I got it, but because of the asymmetrical body, it was only recently it started being in a rack stand more than its HSC.

I'll be mindful of the temperature changes — not having A/C doesn't help in the summer months, though the basement is generally cooler than the rest of the house. Winter traveling is definitely another partial factor...!

Thanks for all the information, though! Should I be worried about any splitting of the fretboard and neck? That's my major concern at the moment — that this will lead to more serious, structural damage.

There should be a very very small risk of that; it happens, but usually it's because there is a warping occurring in one of the pieces of timber. As you know from truss rod adjustments; the board and neck move as one when tightened or relaxed in tension, and it works the same way with natural movements too. If warping occurs; it will be noticeable before the split occurs in most circumstances. The cracking you're seeing now is only in the lacquer, but if you have doubts - seek out the advice of a luthier, and maybe have them have a look over the guitar for you.

Archived