Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Snob here

lazarusvt84

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS..

I've got nothing against this fella and I don't usually deal with the stupidity.

But the temp-ban stick may be something to consider. He's been annoying the hell out of everyone in the Epiphone electrics board for a while now.

I just move on, and really don't care...

But if you look back at least in this one thread, (there are others) the natives get a bit riled up..

all up to you of course..

Repeatedly telling people their gear sucks and then awaiting a reaction is the very definition of trolling.

Being a customer doesn't factor into it. I got a McDonald's burger the other day, that didn't entitle me to sit in said place all night and shout "Burger King supremacy".

KS..

I've got nothing against this fella and I don't usually deal with the stupidity.

But the temp-ban stick may be something to consider. He's been annoying the hell out of everyone in the Epiphone electrics board for a while now.

I just move on, and really don't care...

But if you look back at least in this one thread, (there are others) the natives get a bit riled up..

all up to you of course..

The stats show that over half his posts have been in Epi-Electrics. Judging from the OTT typesizing, spelling and general attitude, the impression I get is young teenager (possibly saving up for a guitar?).

The stats show that over half his posts have been in Epi-Electrics. Judging from the OTT typesizing, spelling and general attitude, the impression I get is young teenager (possibly saving up for a guitar?).

He obviously doesn't know that a full setup including fret leveling and nut filing if needed, will give an Epiphone excellent playability. They WILL play as well as a Gibson or Fender or any other well made guitar. But what do I know, I've only been playing since 1959 and mostly on Gibson ES335, ES330, SG, Fender Stratocasters, Teles, Mustangs and various Epiphones. The newest Epis being a Dot and ES339.

ALL of my guitars get the same full pro setup and they all play very, very well!

He obviously doesn't know that with a full setup including fret leveling and nut filing if needed, it will give an Epiphone excellent playability. They WILL play as well as a Gibson or Fender or any other well made guitar. But what do I know, I've only been playing since 1959 and mostly on Gibson ES335, ES330, SG, Fender Stratocasters, Teles, and Epiphones. The newest Epis being a Dot and ES339.

ALL of my guitars get the same full pro setup and they all play very, very well!

Mine do so, too, including my Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus. She called for adjustment after I restrung her heavier, but no other work was required. It's still that way 3 1/2 years later, like with my Gibsons and Fenders. [thumbup] Two Gibsons and one Fender of mine were in need of a new nut when brand-new though.

Mine do so, too, including my Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus. She called for adjustment after I restrung her heavier, but no other work was required. It's still that way 3 1/2 years later, like with my Gibsons and Fenders. [thumbup] Two Gibsons and one Fender of mine were in need of a new nut when brand-new though.

Yes, I got so sick and tired, of the POS "plastic" nuts, Gibson's came with, that now, I have a new nut, put on all my Gibson's,

as part of the deal, from my dealer! I've Never regretted doing that, either! [thumbup]

CB

Yes, I got so sick and tired, of the POS "plastic" nuts, Gibson's came with, that now, I have a new nut, put on all my Gibson's,

as part of the deal, from my dealer! I've Never regretted doing that, either! [thumbup]

CB

Not all plastic nuts are bad. My 1980 Suzuki LP copy, my 2013 Epiphone LP and my 2014 Ibanez Artist came stock with Nylon (polyamide) nuts and still have them. The revered LPs until made 1960 had Nylon nuts, too, and also the RIs nowadays. Seems to be more consistent and durable than Corian. [biggrin]

Not all plastic nuts are bad. My 1980 Suzuki LP copy, my 2013 Epiphone LP and my 2014 Ibanez Artist came stock with Nylon (polyamide) nuts and still have them. The revered LPs until made 1960 had Nylon nuts, too, and also the RIs nowadays. Seems to be more consistent and durable than Corian. [biggrin]

Interesting point CB raises...can't say I've ever had a problem with the nut on any of my guitars luckily.

Well, to be honest, it was mostly Gibson's with "Corian" nuts! I decided "no more" of those, and had them all changed to "bone!"

Again, never regretted it. [thumbup]

CB

Wouldn't mind trying a bone nut and seeing the difference as all of mine are corian I think. What do you find are the main differences and/ or improvements of bone over corian?

Wouldn't mind trying a bone nut and seeing the difference as all of mine are corian I think. What do you find are the main differences and/ or improvements of bone over corian?

Well, for me, there's better sustain, and cleaner note definition. The Corian nuts all seemed to be slighty "dead" sounding (in comparison), and

way too often, for me, they pinched the strings..."plecked" or not! So, I just decided to go with a bone nut, from the get go. I'm sure you could

find other nut material that would be as good, or more to your tastes, or individual preferences. I just seem to prefer "bone," from my own experiences.

Still, to each his/her own.

Cheers,

CB

My guitar tech prefers phenolic, so all 8 of mine that he has worked, on have them. Basically the same material as pool balls, it's more consistent in density than some of the bone available for nuts these days. Slightly harder, easy to work with and readily available are his reasons for using it. He just got tired of buying bone chunks and not being able to use it all. That, and he'd had enough of the smell created while working bone. That being said, I know many that swear that bone is the only way to go.

I replaced what I believe was a Corian nut on my Epi Riviera with a bone nut. The guitar stays in tune much longer with the bone nut, which alone justified its cost. Also, no matter how often I tried using sandpaper to smooth the Corian nut, the G, B and high E strings tended to bind (get caught up) in the nut. Hasn't happened, not even once, with the bone nut. Lastly, the bone nut is more visually appealing and adds a bit of a classic look to the guitar.

Repeatedly telling people their gear sucks and then awaiting a reaction is the very definition of trolling.

Being a customer doesn't factor into it. I got a McDonald's burger the other day, that didn't entitle me to sit in said place all night and shout "Burger King supremacy".

How can you compare an hamburger with a musical instrument ... ?

My 2000 SG Limited is an incredible guitar , the best !

img_1910.jpg

Sorry, she' not made in China ...

[flapper][biggrin][flapper]

How can you compare an hamburger with a musical instrument ... ?

he's not, he's making an analogy...

My 2000 SG Limited is an incredible guitar , the best !

that is a beauty for sure, (as is your white one) no one is disputing that.

People are just a bit put off by the negative posts you seem intent to continue writing here on in the "Epiphone" Forum, where many of folks here own/play/and like their Epi guitars.

No one needs to hear the guitar they just purchased, and may have waited a long time to do so, is not nearly as good as "This one". You have no idea how hard it might have been, and the sacrifices some people have had to go through to spend their money on one of these guitars.

Really SGplayer, Just.. Stop..

I've said it before and for your benefit, I'll say it again. I have nothing personally against you, I'd bet we'd get along just fine in a conversation, a jam session, what ever. I just think you should tone down your negative rhetoric and have a little bit of respect for the feelings of those who post here.

Well, for me, there's better sustain, and cleaner note definition. The Corian nuts all seemed to be slighty "dead" sounding (in comparison), and

way too often, for me, they pinched the strings..."plecked" or not! So, I just decided to go with a bone nut, from the get go. I'm sure you could

find other nut material that would be as good, or more to your tastes, or individual preferences. I just seem to prefer "bone," from my own experiences.

Still, to each his/her own.

Cheers,

CB

I replaced what I believe was a Corian nut on my Epi Riviera with a bone nut. The guitar stays in tune much longer with the bone nut, which alone justified its cost. Also, no matter how often I tried using sandpaper to smooth the Corian nut, the G, B and high E strings tended to bind (get caught up) in the nut. Hasn't happened, not even once, with the bone nut. Lastly, the bone nut is more visually appealing and adds a bit of a classic look to the guitar.

Thanks for the info guys... much appreciated. Someday I'll have to get around to trying them as it sounds like an interesting comparison.

Archived