Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Snob here

lazarusvt84

Like Johnny said, this is indeed a nice, friendly and extremely knowledgeable forum. I hope mr. SG realizes that my ribbing is good-natured.

Speaking of Foto Flames, I can't help but think that Jr. could use some, btw ;)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like Johnny said, this is indeed a nice, friendly and extremely knowledgeable forum. I hope mr. SG realizes that my ribbing is good-natured.

Speaking of Foto Flames, I can't help but think that Jr. could use some, btw ;)

LOL

It is indeed and I certainly dont mean to chase SG away, I would just like him to play nice in the sandbox, thats all.

These forums have taught me a lot and exposed me to stuff I wouldnt have seen or learned otherwise.

This sweet Gibson Les Paul Jr is a fantastic instrument, I know.

A very good deal .

[thumbup]

Dude just relax. We get it, really, you love Gibsons and want to let the world know. Well mission acclomplished we all know you love and own Gibsons. Please do tell us all why you feel the need to come into Epiphone forums and start slagging Epiphones off? We just don't get it. Do you live in some kind of exstistential nightmare where you feel you don't exist unless you're making random, unrelated comments? Just to let you know, you do exist, we are painfully aware of this. So again, just relax and chime in if and when you have something constructive to say.

The argument for what is a 'great guitar' can be kinda stupid. If an Epi is not good, then you could go down the road that a cheaper Gibson is no good (LP Studio's, SG faded Specials and so on...). Some people say weight relieved LP's are not real Gibson guitars. Then you could say the whole USA line is rubbish compared to the Custom Shop models...but then the modern Custom Shop models suck compared to original models built in Kalamazoo. You could say that only the 'Golden Era' are true Gibson's. This is all nonsense to me.

A lot of people are too over opinionated. Expensive guitars can be fantastic, but so can cheap ones. My most expensive guitar is a Gibson L5CES (in my picture to the left) and my cheapest is a second hand Epi LP Special II. I love both Gibson and Epiphone.

I could become a total snob and say all solid body guitars are rubbish and only a Gibson L5CES (or Super 400) are real guitars...but that would be as stupid as saying Epiphone's are rubbish. I have come across many snobs in the music world who talk total nonsense. Now lets begin the debate 'only classical music is real music' [laugh]

Since the late 70's, when i started gigging, i've always ran the higher price racks and seldom epiphone, squire, etc. I've owned many Gibsons, Fenders, PRS, Anderson and a lot of 'boutique' builders guitars. Two months ago While running the racks at GC, i happened to pick up a CH Dot. Compared it to two 339 Pros and another Dot that was boxed and a Gibson 335. This one was stellar and I had to have it.

Last week, while getting strings, I ran the epiphone LPs and BAM!!! A killer HS LP Standard PlusTop Pro.

I had a friend hand me various LPs both Gibson and Epiphone and in an eyes closed test, the HS, hands down, just sang, played fast, comfortable and smooth. Easy to pick out from the rest.

I now have a new #1 and #2. Being a long time headstock snob, I look at it this way, most people in the audience don't care and if the guitar/rig gets me in that zone where stuff is happening, I have a story for any curious guitarists in the crowd. A new epiphone fan here. I think that with the name brands there is a better chance of finding a stellar guitar is better due to build and tone wood selection but a good guitar is a good guitar. I've dinged up way too many PRS Artists and other costly stuff. I've found a brand to check out to find great workhorses. Beyond what these epiphones offer it is really diminished returns for the buck.

Have I been missing a secret weapon all along or is recent quality way up there?

Last week, while getting strings, I ran the epiphone LPs and BAM!!! A killer HS LP Standard PlusTop Pro.

I had a friend hand me various LPs both Gibson and Epiphone and in an eyes closed test, the HS, hands down, just sang, played fast, comfortable and smooth. Easy to pick out from the rest.

I now have a new #1 and #2. Being a long time headstock snob, I look at it this way, most people in the audience don't care and if the guitar/rig gets me in that zone where stuff is happening, I have a story for any curious guitarists in the crowd. A new epiphone fan here. I think that with the name brands there is a better chance of finding a stellar guitar is better due to build and tone wood selection but a good guitar is a good guitar. ...

Welcome to the fora, Eddie! Yep, you put it exactly in a nutshell! [thumbup]

Gibson are one fine guitar, but epi's are not bad. I recently bought a 08 epi SG (G400), not bad at all. I'm sure these is a difference in tone between a Gibb SG and a G400. But there is differences in tone with Gibson sg's also. I'm about to add a bigsby with a Chet Atkins style tremolo bar... I was thinking of trading it in for a Gibson, just don't see any real reason too.

Gibson are one fine guitar, but epi's are not bad. I recently bought a 08 epi SG (G400), not bad at all. I'm sure these is a difference in tone between a Gibb SG and a G400. But there is differences in tone with Gibson sg's also. I'm about to add a bigsby with a Chet Atkins style tremolo bar... I was thinking of trading it in for a Gibson, just don't see any real reason too.

No no trolling just tired of this guy coming to the forum bashing on Epiphone and throwing out pics of his precious Gibsons so he can put himself above all of us Epi players in his own mind when there is a Gibson SG forum on the same sight. I've got a pair of G400 customs I recently got and would love to share with forum but I know as soon as I do this guy is gonna put a picture of his "Gibson" up and tell me something along the lines of how mine are just "cheap copies" I know I'm not the only member here who is sick of this guy.

No no trolling just tired of this guy coming to the forum bashing on Epiphone and throwing out pics of his precious Gibsons so he can put himself above all of us Epi players in his own mind when there is a Gibson SG forum on the same sight. I've got a pair of G400 customs I recently got and would love to share with forum but I know as soon as I do this guy is gonna put a picture of his "Gibson" up and tell me something along the lines of how mine are just "cheap copies" I know I'm not the only member here who is sick of this guy.

Hey Burchster;

I'll share the joy of Epi G400s.

Here's my pair

25191307152_9612026100_k.jpg

Johnny

With help from fellow forumite L5 Larry this should do the trick!

An older friend told me something when I was quite young, and it has stuck with me ever since.

"Buddy boy, whether she be a beautiful cheerleader or a quiet, plain-Jane librarian type, they all look the same when you turn 'em upside-down!"

[scared]

An older friend told me something when I was quite young, and it has stuck with me ever since.

"Buddy boy, whether she be a beautiful cheerleader or a quiet, plain-Jane librarian type, they all look the same when you turn 'em upside-down!"

[scared]

As much as I find most of your posts entertaining (you can be quite the story teller), it's comments like this that illustrate why we don't have more female members posting and hanging around. Sadly as I've mostly lurked over the years I've seen many female members come and go. Not trying to be a d!ck but the number of females never to return seems highly disproportionate to the number of males. Pretty sure this is why.

Johnny

As much as I find most of your posts entertaining (you can be quite the story teller), it's comments like this that illustrate why we don't have more female members posting and hanging around. Sadly as I've mostly lurked over the years I've seen many female members come and go. Not trying to be a d!ck but the number of females never to return seems highly disproportionate to the number of males. Pretty sure this is why.

Johnny

I wish I could offer some sort of apology, Johnny.

But I am given to observing internet posting behaviors (usually conflicts and pissing contests) and then finding some useful corollary worth drawing and articulating.

My vaguely-vulgar nature and bawdy sense of humor comes from years of growing up as an Army brat and then going on to becoming an Army aviator, and then traveling around the world in the company of fellow war veterans and Air Cavalrymen.

It comes with no off switch, nor is there a volume knob.

I look at it as a blessing more than a curse.

Re; the possibility that guys like me are causing women to avoid posting here.

Not to disagree, because I do respect you. And I respect your experience and your opinion.

But I believe that there are not all that many women drawn to ANY guitar web forum.

(I am a moderator on two others, and overall, the female visitors are very rare. And the only ones who hang around for the long-haul are the fellows.)

I guess what I am saying, at risk of sounding like I am arguing with you, is that I don't believe that my sophomoric, locker-room humor has anything to do with the fact that women aren't drawn to guitar web forums.

I believe that women just aren't drawn to guitar web forums in the first place.

I have been a member of (and moderator on) several political & current-events web forums.

The male to female ratio runs right around 85% to 15% or so, on average.

I have been a member of several motorcycle web forums over the years.

The male to female ratio runs, on average, 90% to 10%.

Same with military aviation web forums. 95% to 5%.

I honestly don't know where the women are spending their time.

Shoe shopping maybe?

[unsure]

I wish I could offer some sort of apology, Johnny.

But I am given to observing internet posting behaviors (usually conflicts and pissing contests) and then finding some useful corollary worth drawing and articulating.

My vaguely-vulgar nature and bawdy sense of humor comes from years of growing up as an Army brat and then going on to becoming an Army aviator, and then traveling around the world in the company of fellow war veterans and Air Cavalrymen.

It comes with no off switch, nor is there a volume knob.

I look at it as a blessing more than a curse.

Re; the possibility that guys like me are causing women to avoid posting here.

Not to disagree, because I do respect you. And I respect your experience and your opinion.

But I believe that there are not all that many women drawn to ANY guitar web forum.

(I am a moderator on two others, and overall, the female visitors are very rare. And the only ones who hang around for the long-haul are the fellows.)

I guess what I am saying, at risk of sounding like I am arguing with you, is that I don't believe that my sophomoric, locker-room humor has anything to do with the fact that women aren't drawn to guitar web forums.

I believe that women just aren't drawn to guitar web forums in the first place.

I have been a member of (and moderator on) several political & current-events web forums.

The male to female ratio runs right around 85% to 15% or so, on average.

I have been a member of several motorcycle web forums over the years.

The male to female ratio runs, on average, 90% to 10%.

Same with military aviation web forums. 95% to 5%.

I honestly don't know where the women are spending their time.

Shoe shopping maybe?

[unsure]

Hey Sparky;

I'm not looking for any kind of apology, trying too start a fight, nor am I trying to be the internet police here.

Just thought I'd point it out to you incase you weren't consciously aware.

I too have had a "rough" back ground having worked as a bodyman, in construction, factories and management.

My experiences have shown me that people like ourselves (men of privilege) are not always fully aware of the impact of their words.

Just thougjht I'd poiunt it out since a few of your recent posts have had a similar derogatory flavour.

But since you seem to fully aware please free to carry on and carry over. I'll not mention it again and just continue to enjoy your story telling posts.

Johnny

Hey Sparky;

I'm not looking for any kind of apology, trying too start a fight, nor am I trying to be the internet police here.

Just thought I'd point it out to you incase you weren't consciously aware.

I too have had a "rough" back ground having worked as a bodyman, in construction, factories and management.

My experiences have shown me that people like ourselves (men of privilege) are not always fully aware of the impact of their words.

Just thougjht I'd poiunt it out since a few of your recent posts have had a similar derogatory flavour.

But since you seem to fully aware please free to carry on and carry over. I'll not mention it again and just continue to enjoy your story telling posts.

Johnny

I appreciate the dialogue, Johnny.

And appreciate your rough background.

I guess it is true that we have found ourselves in an overly-politically-correct society anymore.

And I admit that I enjoy being plain-spoken and honest.

Even if that honesty comes with a prickly price tag.

(That of being nearly-constantly guilty of offending somebody.)

The truth is this;

I have turned a LOT of women upside-down over the years, and none of them have looked exactly the same.

I only trotted out the story of that advice offered to me all those years ago as some sort of corollary to the pissing contests I witnessed earlier in this thread.

(Gibsons versus Epiphones, etc)

So, in essence, I politely withdraw my earlier (admittedly-offensive) posting.

And ladies, I salute you and your unique and wonderful under-sides.

[wub]

After reading most of the posts here, I must say that, regardless of anyone's feelings about SG player, that is one of the finest looking SG's I've seen.

With regard to the original topic of this thread; I've owned a Les Paul Custom and currently own an old ES-330. I also own an Epi Les Paul Plus Top Pro and used to have an Epi Korina '58 Flying V. I think that if you can afford a Gibson, buy it but, if you are a mere mortal for whom money is an issue; Epiphone makes a fine instrument for the price. My Epi Les Paul is very nice; nicer than a lot of recent Gibsons I've tried. So... that's my two cents. Peace!

Archived