Gibson Brands Forums

Used Epiphone Chet Atkins, CEC or SST?

rednebb

Hello, I'm looking at a used Epiphone Chet Atkins (see attached pics) and I've communicated with the seller on e-mail. He doesn't know if it's the CEC or SST model, and he doesn't know what year model it is either (he bought it used himself). I've found pics of the two models on the internet, and I guess it looks most like the CEC, but it puzzles me that the guitar only has the Chet Atkins signature on the headstock, and no Epiphone logo. I've asked the seller about this also, but he has no explanation for this. Can anyone help me with identifying this guitar..?

post-31379-094801200 1469469336_thumb.jpg

post-31379-014853400 1469469389_thumb.jpg

post-31379-035885400 1469469399_thumb.jpg

I think CEC is to designate Classical Electric Cutaway, and the SST is for Steel String

(I'm pretty sure that's the difference)

So the one you're after, if it's nylon strung appears to be a CEC

there is on logo in the sound hole?? (maybe someone nixed it?)

you can track the SN if you have it.

I think CEC is to designate Classical Electric Cutaway, and the SST is for Steel String

(I'm pretty sure that's the difference)

So the one you're after, if it's nylon strung appears to be a CEC

there is on logo in the sound hole?? (maybe someone nixed it?)

you can track the SN if you have it.

Thanks for the suggestions, but according to the Epiphone Wiki, they also made a model called SST Classic, but on the pic this has the Chet Atkins signature on the body instead of the headstock (which would indicate that it is a CEC, but since there are other uncertain elements, I'm not quite sure..)

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Chet_Atkins

Yes, the guitar has the Epiphone "E" inside the soundhole, like you can see on the attached pics in my first post.

check out the descriptions on a google, I think he maybe was just wrong.

CEC are the nylon ones from what I recall, and SST are steel strings with bridge pins (aka a standard acoustic bridge verses the CECs that have the tie off bring in the trad classical setup)

Serial number doesn't show much.. but maybe someone else will pop in with a few more clues.

and there is also this:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/54419-id-your-epiphone-here-serial-key-guitardater-link-factory-codes-a-worldwide-guide-part-3/'

Archived