Gibson Brands Forums

About Super 200

Fei

hi,

I got a Gibson Super 200 is accidental,when I first look it,I paid it...because it's so beautful...#_#

After I check the internet,I found this Super 200 is different:

1.Where is the Pickguard? -_-```

2.This Super200 No Pickup...

3.It's Number Tag is"CUSTOM BUILT" not "CUSTOM SHOP",why? ?_?

4.The Fingerboard and Bridge is Ebony not Rosewood(Although I like Ebony...) ^_^

So, I really don't know much about this guitar, can you tell me more about it?Thanks!

post-79798-000406800 1469501228_thumb.jpg

post-79798-059915700 1469501569_thumb.jpg

post-79798-079277500 1469501591_thumb.jpg

post-79798-098662100 1469501620_thumb.jpg

hi,

I got a Gibson Super 200 is accidental,when I first look it,I paid it...because it's so beautful...#_#

After I check the internet,I found this Super 200 is different:

1.Where is the Pickguard? -_-```

2.This Super200 No Pickup...

3.It's Number Tag is"CUSTOM BUILT" not "CUSTOM SHOP",why? ?_?

4.The Fingerboard and Bridge is Ebony not Rosewood(Although I like Ebony...) ^_^

So, I really don't know much about this guitar, can you tell me more about it?Thanks!

If you consider a Les Paul Standard and a Les Paul Custom; the Super-200 is the Custom to the regular SJ-200.

As you can see from some of it's features; several of which put it in the league above the regular-model SJ-200:

• The venetian cutaway not common to SJ shape guitars. This would also be why there is no pickguard.
  • The inlays on the bridge and the more unique inlays on the fretboard.
  • The unique 'Imperial' Grover style machineheads are a special choice of hardware.
  • The use of Ebony; a more precious wood that Rosewood, on the fretboard and bridge plate.

Otherwise; you would not see "Custom Shop" adorn this instrument, as it originates from the Gibson Acoustic branch of the company.

There are several divisions of Gibson and act separately from each other;

• Gibson USA; based in Nashville, make the standard range of models, such as the models: Les Paul, SG, Firebird, Explorer, Flying V, Midtown and Gibson basses.
  • Gibson Custom; based in Memphis, which also incorporates the Gibson Memphis brand. Gibson Custom is the Custom Shop, and make the Standard Historic models, True Historic Models, Collectors' Choice models, and Artist Special models. Gibson Memphis make the ES-series guitars, such as the ES-335, BB King Lucille, and ES Les Paul.
  • Gibson Acoustic is based in Bozeman Monatana, and make all the Acoustic and Electro-Acoustic Gibson guitars.

The Super 200 would have come from Gibson Acoustic and not the Custom Shop, but is probably considered "custom" as it would be a limited run, and custom-made with unique specifications, by hand.

Depending on the year and exact model you have, the following may vary...

• Maple neck.
  • Maple back and sides.
  • Sitka Spruce top.
  • 25.5" scale length.
  • Mother of Pearl Inlays.
  • Bone nut and bridge.
  • Depending on the year; some will have a built in pickup, others won't.

Nice guitar to come into by accident. And good of you to point out that for 2016, Gibson is now using the "Custom Built" designation to refer to their guitars that differ from their standard models. This avoids any misunderstanding there may have been in thinking that "Custom Shop" meant that the guitar was not made in the same place, and by the same people who make all of the Acoustic line.

Do an Internet search on "Gibson Super 400"; it'll give you an idea of where some of your guitar's styling influences come from.

Congrats on a beautiful guitar.

Based on your guitar's serial number

Your guitar was made at the

Bozeman Plant, MT, USA

on April 19th, 2006

Production Number: 007 (James Bond's guitar)

See here: Super 200

You're missing the pickguard but all that gorgeous ebony makes up for it.

If you want a replacement pickguard Gibson might provide one if you can prove you own the guitar.

It's a beautiful guitar and seems in amazing shape for 10 years old. Congratulations.

If you consider a Les Paul Standard and a Les Paul Custom; the Super-200 is the Custom to the regular SJ-200.

As you can see from some of it's features; several of which put it in the league above the regular-model SJ-200:

• The venetian cutaway not common to SJ shape guitars. This would also be why there is no pickguard.
  • The inlays on the bridge and the more unique inlays on the fretboard.
  • The unique 'Imperial' Grover style machineheads are a special choice of hardware.
  • The use of Ebony; a more precious wood that Rosewood, on the fretboard and bridge plate.

Otherwise; you would not see "Custom Shop" adorn this instrument, as it originates from the Gibson Acoustic branch of the company.

There are several divisions of Gibson and act separately from each other;

• Gibson USA; based in Nashville, make the standard range of models, such as the models: Les Paul, SG, Firebird, Explorer, Flying V, Midtown and Gibson basses.
  • Gibson Custom; based in Memphis, which also incorporates the Gibson Memphis brand. Gibson Custom is the Custom Shop, and make the Standard Historic models, True Historic Models, Collectors' Choice models, and Artist Special models. Gibson Memphis make the ES-series guitars, such as the ES-335, BB King Lucille, and ES Les Paul.
  • Gibson Acoustic is based in Bozeman Monatana, and make all the Acoustic and Electro-Acoustic Gibson guitars.

The Super 200 would have come from Gibson Acoustic and not the Custom Shop, but is probably considered "custom" as it would be a limited run, and custom-made with unique specifications, by hand.

Depending on the year and exact model you have, the following may vary...

• Maple neck.
  • Maple back and sides.
  • Sitka Spruce top.
  • 25.5" scale length.
  • Mother of Pearl Inlays.
  • Bone nut and bridge.
  • Depending on the year; some will have a built in pickup, others won't.

Thanks for your answer, I know more about it, I like it very much.

Nice guitar to come into by accident. And good of you to point out that for 2016, Gibson is now using the "Custom Built" designation to refer to their guitars that differ from their standard models. This avoids any misunderstanding there may have been in thinking that "Custom Shop" meant that the guitar was not made in the same place, and by the same people who make all of the Acoustic line.

Do an Internet search on "Gibson Super 400"; it'll give you an idea of where some of your guitar's styling influences come from.

Congrats on a beautiful guitar.

Thanks for the answer to "built custom", I understand,and I understand the relationship between it and SUPER400,thanks!

Based on your guitar's serial number

Your guitar was made at the

Bozeman Plant, MT, USA

on April 19th, 2006

Production Number: 007 (James Bond's guitar)

See here: Super 200

You're missing the pickguard but all that gorgeous ebony makes up for it.

If you want a replacement pickguard Gibson might provide one if you can prove you own the guitar.

It's a beautiful guitar and seems in amazing shape for 10 years old. Congratulations.

Yes, it was made in 2006, and it was preserved so well that was rare, I enjoy it very much,thanks!

Archived