Gibson Brands Forums

2014 ES 175 D Historic

daveinspain

On my last trip home to Boston I found my dream guitar on clearence sale at GC... It was a 2014 ES 175 D 1959 Historic. I had seen this very guitar at GC every trip home I made since it first appeared there in 2014 but at 4899.99 it was not in my budget. Lucky for me it had survived 3 clearence reductions in two years and was sitting in the glass chase with a clearance sale tag priced at 2799... I made them an offer of 2500. To my surprise they took the offer, plus tax..!!

So I went home with the guitar :-). Although the guitar was new the strings were 2 years old, discolored and felt grubby. I chose a set of flat wounds as replacement strings. My question for you guys is do you think the flat wounds are a good choice? They feel smooth as silk but are darker than I'm used to and they are tough for bends. I'm thinking about restringing it with regular round wounds again. I usually use D'Addario 10s. Any suggestions, what do you guys use?

Hi Dave

There are big variations in tapewounds in my exp.....Thomastik and/or D'Addario chromes are the best I've tried, they cost almost twice as much as the Rotosound ones I bought recently which are very dull.

At the moment I've got DR Handmade Blues (nickelwound) on my 175 - I use an 0.11 set which has 0.18 plain G and couldn't be happier - excellent long-lasting strings.

I've also tried Optima Gold-plated strings which are incredible; high price like good tapewounds but they really do last at least a year and have big, loud tone. Superb on my semi but not on the LP.

[thumbup]

Archived