Gibson Brands Forums

Is this genuine?

LarryUK

It looks right to me. The bridge and nut have been replaced with brass parts which everyone knew meant mega sustain and Tooooone in 1980.

Thanks Searcy.

The bigger headstock was part of Norlin changes. After Searcy's comment, I've got no other concerns.

Lots of things that were fooled around with on this one: machine heads, pickup rings, bridge, and probably nut are not original. Then there's the completely worn down finish at the neck's bass side. The pickguard is cracked above its upper mounting hole. The latter is the only thing I would call "minimal damage" as optimistically stated by the seller for the whole item. Not worth the asked price I think.

Lots of things that were fooled around with on this one: machine heads, pickup rings, bridge, and probably nut are not original. Then there's the completely worn down finish at the neck's bass side. The pickguard is cracked above its upper mounting hole. The latter is the only thing I would call "minimal damage" as optimistically stated by the seller for the whole item. Not worth the asked price I think.

I agree. Looks like a legit Norlin LP but the "minimal damage" description is BS and price is high

I agree with BigKahune's initial thoughts.

Judging strictly by the photos, (and I know I'll probably take some guff for this) I would view it to be a fake.

Reasons:

Flat-head screwdriver tops inside the bridge height adjusting posts, instead of the proper Gibson smooth tops normally visible.

The headstock shape seems cartoonishly- shaped, especially at the top horns.

Particularly in the 'back view'.

For that matter, it doesn't even appear to be the same guitar as depicted in the 'front view' of the headstock.

The tail piece is further down from the neck of the guitar than normal, which is a tell-tale sign of most Chinese fakes.

(The tail piece should normally be just a little closer to the neck geographically than the nearest volume knob, and that one is further south than it should be.)

Remember, when you ask 'is this genuine', you must admit there was doubt in the first place.

I believe that guitar is not genuine.

:mellow:

Recommendation:

Open up the eBay page in question, and view the small previews for the five photos available for that guitar.

Next, mouse over the preview image for the 'front view', and then the 'back view'.

Those two images will appear one after the other in the main view above.

Repeat, as often as necessary, and contrast the dramatically-different shapes on the two headstocks.

They are photos of two different guitar headstocks.

That's a red flag to me, in addition to the Chinese placement of the tailpiece, and the flathead screw heads atop the bridge adjustment pins.

Not to argue with any of you, because I respect all of you, and your years of experience, I really do.

But I stand by my opinion.

Larry should run, not walk, away from that eBay purchase.

[unsure]

Recommendation:

Open up the eBay page in question, and view the small previews for the five photos available for that guitar.

Next, mouse over the preview image for the 'front view', and then the 'back view'.

Those two images will appear one after the other in the main view above.

Repeat, as often as necessary, and contrast the dramatically-different shapes on the two headstocks.

They are photos of two different guitar headstocks.

That's a red flag to me, in addition to the Chinese placement of the tailpiece, and the flathead screw heads atop the bridge adjustment pins.

Not to argue with any of you, because I respect all of you, and your years of experience, I really do.

But I stand by my opinion.

Larry should run, not walk, away from that eBay purchase.

[unsure]

Everything done before my first post.

You may stand by your opinion as long as you state it's just that.

Anyway, I would recommend running away from this guitar to everyone.

Everything done before my first post.

You may stand by your opinion as long as you state it's just that.

Anyway, I would recommend running away from this guitar to everyone.

At that price I would agree.

... dramatically-different shapes on the two headstocks.

They are photos of two different guitar headstocks. ...

They are pics of the same headstock. The front side shot from a slight up angle and the back from slight down angle, causing the differences you're seeing. Just check the position of the tuning keys, they are in the same positions in both pics. The exaggerated shape and size of the headstock is a well known Norlin characteristic. . B)

The OP was asking if it was genuine not if it was a good deal. :rolleyes: It looks to be a genuine, well used Norlin era LP with s lot of mods typical for the era. Prolly sounds freakin' awesome. I would imagine the owner would supply the serial number to a genuinely interested buyer. He likely covered it to discourage Chinese fakers. Legit serial numbers are like gold to those guys.

They are pics of the same headstock. The front side shot from a slight up angle and the back from slight down angle, causing the differences you're seeing. Just check the position of the tuning keys, they are in the same positions in both pics. The exaggerated shape and size of the headstock is a well known Norlin characteristic. . B)

Fair enough, I can concede that much.

It doesn't change my opinion regarding the guitar's authenticity, especially as regards the Chinese placement of the tailpiece, but I can concede that those are front and back of the same headstock, albeit from different camera angles.

That's one heck of a fisheye lens effect though, you have to admit!

fisheye-lens-bull-360x240.jpg

Just to clarify, here's what I am talking about when I reference the typical Chinese fake Gibson (the rabid collectors of such junk call them Chibsons) mistake with regard to the tail piece.

In the standard 4-knob, two pickup configuration, real modern-era Gibsons are just slightly north of the closest volume knob, and fake copies generally have the tailpiece further south of the guitar, either equal with that same volume knob, or lightly south of it.

The tail piece in the eBay offering in the original post was very much south.

190918.png

Archived