Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Gibson AJ

sbpark

Drove 6 hours roundtrip to get this one. Been jonesing for one of these for a while, and very happy I finally found one. It's a 2012, looks great,plays great and sounds incredible. Just needs the action lowered a tiny bit and it will be perfect. Came with 80/20's on it, but am going to restring it with some PB's to see which I like better. I think this may be my favorite sound. I'm really digging the rosewood back and sides paired with the slope shoulder shape. I have an HD-28 and a J45 Standard, and this is kind of like a hybrid of the two morphed together. Has the low end warmth of the Martin, but the punch, clarity, note separation and mid range of the Gibson, and it's very LOUD!

20160724_171116_HDR_zpsrvjqbkpp.jpg

20160724_171105_HDR_zpsh3oxugo1.jpg

20160724_171055_HDR_zpscwxzh5pp.jpg

20160725_163424_HDR_zpssgvepr7j.jpg

20160726_144309_HDR_zpskxfs9occ.jpg

Congrats! I love me some AJs. I've had mine for 22 years and at one point it was my only high end guitar of any kind. Just wait until it opens up completely. As for strings, I've recently turned on to John Pearce lights ... 12s. Enjoy and post some sounds if you can.

Pretty guitar! Believe I'd have a jones for an AJ if it wasn't long scale..........I've learned my lesson and short scale is where it's at for me. Cut thru saddle. That should be taken down off the top to lower the action and the luthier that does it ought to have some skill to get that right.......got to maintain that radius. If you push the saddle out and take it off the bottom it won't fit the bridge cut properly afterwards.

Congrats to you, sir! Enjoy! And we'd like to hear it someday soon!

Pretty guitar! Believe I'd have a jones for an AJ if it wasn't long scale..........I've learned my lesson and short scale is where it's at for me. Cut thru saddle. That should be taken down off the top to lower the action and the luthier that does it ought to have some skill to get that right.......got to maintain that radius. If you push the saddle out and take it off the bottom it won't fit the bridge cut properly afterwards.

Congrats to you, sir! Enjoy! And we'd like to hear it someday soon!

Way ahead of you on that one regarding sanding the saddle from the top, and the guy I take my guitars to is amazing. He knows his stuff!

Hopefully I can get some sound clips posted soon. The other guy I play with has been using my HD-28 while I play the AJ or J45 and it's a killer sound with those guitars. We're hoping to start playing out in the next couple weeks. Working on mostly originals, but have hashed out a great cover of Jason Isbell's "Cover Me Up", where the other guy sings and plays acoustic and I'm on my Tele playing slide.

Happy NAJGD to you. Total agreement here on how the slope shoulder design can rein in rosewood's overtones which can get a bit boxy sounding in the big squares. And as the AJ bracing can pack a punch to the extent that they can get on the shrill side, your idea of trying Phos Bronze strings makes good sense.

Are you going to have a luthier lower the action? If so, get the nut checked out while you're there- looks like a heavy carve; you want a nice break there as well as across the saddle.

Now- we're gonna need to see the back!

Enjoy.

NIce AJ you scored. Big sound machines. I've always loved the sound and look of an AJ. You're growing a real nice family of killer guitars. The volume of an AJ is a big plus, but these guitars are awesome guitars for sweet folksy music too. But play "extra gentle" if folks are sleeping...lol....Congrats....I've got a long scale AJ (rosewood) that lives with my son and a short scale koa AJ. I think the rosewood has more roar to it, but both are dreams to play. The koa one has a tone that is truly its own.

NIce AJ you scored. Big sound machines. I've always loved the sound and look of an AJ. You're growing a real nice family of killer guitars. The volume of an AJ is a big plus, but these guitars are awesome guitars for sweet folksy music too. But play "extra gentle" if folks are sleeping...lol....Congrats....I've got a long scale AJ (rosewood) that lives with my son and a short scale koa AJ. I think the rosewood has more roar to it, but both are dreams to play. The koa one has a tone that is truly its own.

I'm pretty lucky to have the acoustics that I have. I recently sold off around 10 electrics and quite a few amps and only kept a Tele and a '76 Deluxe Reverb. I've been playing acoustic about 90% of the time for the last few years, so I figured it was time to change my priorities and restructure.

The AJ is an icon. Deservedly so, IMHO. If they ever get to be as trendy as Hummingbirds are lately, all we'll need to do is stand outside to hear somebody playing one - great volume (and tone to match). Congratulations are in order!

The AJ is an icon. Deservedly so, IMHO. If they ever get to be as trendy as Hummingbirds are lately, all we'll need to do is stand outside to hear somebody playing one - great volume (and tone to match). Congratulations are in order!

I know I'll get beaten for saying this, but this AJ makes my J45 sound like a toy. I still love my J45, but when I play the stuff that I like, which is a lot of old Wilco stuff (among a ton of other stuff) it's exactly the sound I hear on the records. I'm guessing this one is a good one, since it was previously owned by Joe Bonamassa (allegedly). That had zero influence on me picking up the guitar, since I'm not really a fan. Have nothing bad to say about his music, just never really got into him.

an abomination... a travesty!! what tragic turn of events.. send it to me so I can dispose of the hideous thing properly..

Just Kiddin!!!!!!!!

Real nice! Enjoy it for many years to come.

btw..

we love sound bites, if you know what I mean! :)

Classy guitar. The few I've gotten to play over the years were all outstanding - bet you will cherish this thing for years. If it was Joe B's guitar - get some provenance and stick it somewhere safe, could come in handy, or at least provide good bar-room banter.

Classy guitar. The few I've gotten to play over the years were all outstanding - bet you will cherish this thing for years. If it was Joe B's guitar - get some provenance and stick it somewhere safe, could come in handy, or at least provide good bar-room banter.

Ha, well I can't verify that it really was his, but the owner of the shop I got it from is pretty close with Joe and his father. The recently acquired a few guitars from him that he was getting rid of, this one apparently was one of those.

Nice one, it looks amazing, always loved the burst on the AJ.

Have one too, but have to say its a love hate relationship, sometimes I feel the tone is too rough and fundamental, missing the sweetness of a J-45 or Hummingbird, then other times I love the projection and responsiveness of the beast. I have a feeling the AJ would most suit advanced players especially finger and flatpickers that can really apply that projection and responsiveness to best use.

Is the burst on an AJ done any different than a j45 ?

Not really, but theyre all a little bit different, just looked at mine side to side and the AJ has a bit more 'burst' coming through. But it just looks great, on either really.

Nice one, it looks amazing, always loved the burst on the AJ.

Have one too, but have to say its a love hate relationship, sometimes I feel the tone is too rough and fundamental, missing the sweetness of a J-45 or Hummingbird, then other times I love the projection and responsiveness of the beast. I have a feeling the AJ would most suit advanced players especially finger and flatpickers that can really apply that projection and responsiveness to best use.

I'll agree with that. It seems to work well in the duo I'm in since it's two acoustics a lot of the time, but I play more little lead lines, embellishments, fills, etc. The AJ works well in that situation and is a very dynamic guitar, so if I hold back I can just blend in, and if I dig in a little it allows the leads and fills to pop and stand out. It's like this guitar has natural reverb built into it, too.

Not really, but theyre all a little bit different, just looked at mine side to side and the AJ has a bit more 'burst' coming through. But it just looks great, on either really.

I agree. Since they are all hand sprayed each would be unique. I sent my L00 back to Bozeman with a problem that required stripping the top and the second burst came back different.

Archived