Gibson Brands Forums

Time To Sit on The Beach?

BluesKing777

No sir, not that Newt. That was something a friend of mine said back in the early 70s whilst we were partaking of some illegal substance. A "rookie" among us was particularly affected and began to get out of hand, shall we say. Hence the veteran cry: Hold 'er down, Newt......she smells alfalfa! His name was not Newt, he was not a horse or other alfalfa-eating creature. It was just an off-the cuff, top-of-the-head, stoned utterance........perfect! One of life's moments you never forget, ya know?

(And yes, the book and the movie were quite good!)

When I was about 12 I got a hand spear gun for Christmas.We were on holidays down the south coast of New South Wales.

I was swimming not so far from shore at the beach full of summer holiday makers. I spied this 3ft shark on the sandy bottom.Speared it and got back to shore full of pride and excitement.

As the crowd gathered it was soon evident that it must have been dead for weeks...it's underside was rotted and eaten away....haha... what a hero I was spearing a dead shark.I guess I should have got a hint when it didn't move when I speared it. [flapper]

When I was about 12 I got a hand spear gun for Christmas.We were on holidays down the south coast of New South Wales.

I was swimming not so far from shore at the beach full of summer holiday makers. I spied this 3ft shark on the sandy bottom.Speared it and got back to shore full of pride and excitement.

As the crowd gathered it was soon evident that it must have been dead for weeks...it's underside was rotted and eaten away....haha... what a hero I was spearing a dead shark.I guess I should have got a hint when it didn't move when I speared it. [flapper]

Ha!

Take that you nasty shark! [tongue] (serious spearfishers actually get under the water).

And playing guitar on an ocean beach can be like playing on a stage with no foldback......the waves and the wind can be way louder than a little acoustic guitar. Hauled a guitar over to the beach to play on a few holidays, no fun there! Strings went rusty for nothing and may as well play on the runway of the airport...

BluesKing777.

Thanks BBG.

But if I did play on the runway, I would open with "My Little Run Run Run Run Runway". Then "Fly Like An Eagle", "Wind Beneath My Wings" then flee the runway after singing "Coming In On A Wing And A Prayer"...... [scared]

We were brought up as water babies and the old man reluctant to buy a guitar but happy to buy a boat or goggles or fins (flippers) or anything that involved saltwater, so I had many incidents and close calls including snorkelling with a visit by two total monster sharks in one day, never recovered from that one; went to spear a fish and scared the life out of a huge Manta Ray that took off from hiding under the sand; speared a big black fish that took the spear and nearly my arm as well and swam off; went to have a swim with the other kiddies jumping off the end of the jetty just as a monster shark did a drive by just begore I jumped - won't say how big it was because nobody would believe it; and last but not least fishing with the old man and brother in a 15 foot fibreglass speedboat that got charged by a shark underneath........ :blink:

Love looking at the sea/coast/beach but don't think much about going in.

BluesKing777.

People are strange. They insist on swimming where sharks feed. They insist on hiking in bear country.....I don't get it. "Yes," one has the right to swim in the ocean with sharks and hike where enormous bears live, but somewhere along the line common sense needs to be part of the equation.

I did a long reply with a story or 2 earlier and it was funny, and I felt a little hysterical chuckling to myself, but the forum crashed when I hit post and it all vanished in to the ether.

It nearly did it again just this bit, so I will try in small chunks.......

Tourist attraction was the reason Shark Bay not far from me was renamed Safety Beach! Big difference in 'feel'. And my area was probably Heap Big Snake Lookout Run For It Fella Valley....

The funny story that crashed, cut short:

3 of us teens snorkelling, went out way too far to a broken pier remains and the water was so murky, one kid (Rob, we will call him) got the horrors and got on on the broken pier and waved down a ride home in a little fishing boat going past. Well, we all went... Rob jumped out to swim the last bit near shore where the boatie wanted to stop, but forgot his big hessian bag that he was going to put all the fish he caught in. Yeah right!

The boatie yelled to him about his bag, threw it in the water for him to come back and get, but Rob was heading home in haste! It was noisy, windy, waves, motor boat, so we all screamed to him: 'Hey Rob, your bag', pointing at it floating in the water but starting to sink. Rob finally looked around to see just the corner of the bag sticking out of the water like a big shark fin.......

That Rob sure could swim!

BluesKing777.

Shark: "What to do today...what to do today...?".

If it's not sharks in the water in So Cal (and it's generally not) it's rabid territorial surfers.

And if you live in San Diego, near the World Famous San Diego Zoo, and decide to go to the pool instead, you've got to wait your turn or deal with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPrWo5pEvyk

PS: Lonesome Dove's got my vote for best western of all time. The books are even better.

We don't rent pigs....

People are strange. They insist on swimming where sharks feed. They insist on hiking in bear country.....I don't get it. "Yes," one has the right to swim in the ocean with sharks and hike where enormous bears live, but somewhere along the line common sense needs to be part of the equation.

Well, common sense is not part of the equation when tax payer money goes to search and rescue missions for solo round the world sailors in plastic toy boats. By the way, there was a guy recently who had to be saved when he set out to to walk across the Atlantic inside a sphere he built. He barely made it out of the harbor...

Lars

Well, common sense is not part of the equation when tax payer money goes to search and rescue missions for solo round the world sailors in plastic toy boats. By the way, there was a guy recently who had to be saved when he set out to to walk across the Atlantic inside a sphere he built. He barely made it out of the harbor...

Lars

Are you there Nick? [flapper]

Probably sailing at this time of year?

BluesKing777.

Archived