Gibson Brands Forums

What Bridge pickup should I try?

scottpaine_69

First of all I do have some knowledge of Aftermarket pups and If I go with passive my choice is Seymour Duncans and actives would be EMG. BUT I"M NOT GOING FOR THAT THIS TIME.. My 2015 Gibson Les Paul Calssic has a 57 classic in the neck (which I love and is staying in the guitar) and a Super 57 in the Bridge. They both have Alinco II magnets but I'm looking for more output in the bridge position. For thos who don't know the pups in the 2015 classic are wired with a 15db boost toggle switch and coil splits and use the Gibson Quick Connect. I do NOT want to gut my 2015 classic for a pickup swap. I'm wondering if there are any Gibson quick connects with coil splitting and 15db capabilities that I could just easily swap out that have higher output but will still match up well with the 57 classic that is in the neck position?. I had a Les Paul standard HP with the burstbucker lead pro in the bridge that had all the capabilities I was looking for even though it had lower output it had an alinco V magnet which tighened up the bottom end and was a bit easier for me to grab harmonics with. Is there any other pups Gibson or aftermarket I don't know about yet that are quick connets and have all the functions I want. I'm not takeing this guitar full on metal. I have 2 other les pauls with active ZW emg's and I'm trying to keep the 2015 as stock as possible with a higher output bridge pickup that will not out drive the neck if useing them both together. Thanks in advance...

First of all I do have some knowledge of Aftermarket pups and If I go with passive my choice is Seymour Duncans and actives would be EMG. BUT I"M NOT GOING FOR THAT THIS TIME.. My 2015 Gibson Les Paul Calssic has a 57 classic in the neck (which I love and is staying in the guitar) and a Super 57 in the Bridge. They both have Alinco II magnets but I'm looking for more output in the bridge position. For thos who don't know the pups in the 2015 classic are wired with a 15db boost toggle switch and coil splits and use the Gibson Quick Connect. I do NOT want to gut my 2015 classic for a pickup swap. I'm wondering if there are any Gibson quick connects with coil splitting and 15db capabilities that I could just easily swap out that have higher output but will still match up well with the 57 classic that is in the neck position?. I had a Les Paul standard HP with the burstbucker lead pro in the bridge that had all the capabilities I was looking for even though it had lower output it had an alinco V magnet which tighened up the bottom end and was a bit easier for me to grab harmonics with. Is there any other pups Gibson or aftermarket I don't know about yet that are quick connets and have all the functions I want. I'm not takeing this guitar full on metal. I have 2 other les pauls with active ZW emg's and I'm trying to keep the 2015 as stock as possible with a higher output bridge pickup that will not out drive the neck if useing them both together. Thanks in advance...

There are, like Zentar has pointed out; aftermarket PCB connectors you can splice to an existing pickup, Gibson or otherwise; which means it would fit your LP's current control configuration without issue. Atop that, if wired correctly; you would have the same benefits such as splits / taps with the new pickup connected.

This seller is also on eBay; when ordering you just add a note for them with the make of your new pickup, and they use corresponding coloured wires on the connector so connecting the components is a bit simpler.

Personally I think a double-cream DiMarzio would look killer msp_thumbup.gif

Hi Scott!

After reading trough your post

I would think you may wan't to try the

Angus Young Signature pickup.

I have one in my LPJ and it sounds really good.

And knowing a bit your musical tastes it should cover your sonic needs perfectly.

It's for me the best match for a 57 Classic at the neck.

In fact I think it's pretty similar to a 57, but on steroids(Alnico V).

It has bite and can be a bi**h when driven, but it cleans up very nice with your volume knob and has that 57 creamy flavor. Very versatile, you cn play anithing with that thing not only hard rock or metal.

Don't worry it does sound awesome in a Les Paul it's not only for SG's.

There is a Quick Connect version available but you should get sure it has the right connectors for your PCB.

http://store.gibson.com/angus-young-signature-humbucker-pickup/

There is a 4 conductor version, wasn't sure at first.

I could be wrong but isn't the 15db boost an active circuit seperate from the pickup itself? I'd think if the guitar already has the boost you wouldn't need to add anything, if it doesn't then a pickup swap wouldn't add the boost function

The 498T is a good pickup with more output than the 57. Gibson uses the 498T in the Les Paul Customs. I have one in my SG and I like it

I could be wrong but isn't the 15db boost an active circuit seperate from the pickup itself? I'd think if the guitar already has the boost you wouldn't need to add anything, if it doesn't then a pickup swap wouldn't add the boost function

The 498T is a good pickup with more output than the 57. Gibson uses the 498T in the Les Paul Customs. I have one in my SG and I like it

Yes and Yes! My thoughts exactly... [thumbup]

The boost should work with any passive pup and the 498T would be a bit hotter.

However, if you want it a lot hotter than the 57 Classic Plus and want a Gibson pickup you are going to have to go to the 500T or the Dirty Fingers.

With the 15db boost though. I'm not sure why a hotter pickup is needed [unsure]

May I ask where you feed the guitar output signal? Subsequent gear may distort in an unwanted manner when using 15 dB boost. This means circa 5.6 times the "dry" pickup output voltage. Moreover, the input "sees" an electronic output instead of a coil inductance.

Archived