Gibson Brands Forums

I need some tips on fixing my Explorer

Hi guys, new to these boards. I need some advice on fixing my Explorer. The guitar fell fretboard down onto a concrete floor and here are the results. How can I fix this? The actual fretboard isn't cracked just the neck/body joint. I would prefer to do it myself rather than just drop it off at a repair shop.

F9879B28-FD1E-3481-4F414CB08B7E4E89.png

F987F5A9-F27F-8B02-19D5BA3BE92F67AE.png

F98725BF-C262-AF4A-393ED2C568B77B84.png

F986D635-A281-A69F-442E716CC0CF8BF1.png

Hello and welcome here.

Sorry for your bad accident. [crying] Fortunately I never had to deal with such serious trouble, but some pals of mine had.

My honest recommendation is looking for a luthier well reputed for doing neck repairs and having it done there. The guitar is worth it. I wouldn't even try anything apart from tuning strings down and loosen the truss rod. Trying anything beyond is likely to make it all worse.

Hope this helps.

From the photos I see cracks in the lacquer at the construction joints, that could quite possibly be all that is damaged, the finish. The glue joint of the neck could be fine, unless you have "structural" evidence otherwise.

You need a neck reset. If you haven't done one before I wouldn't start on a top notch guitar. The entire neck should be pulled and the joint cleaned of old glue and reset.

This can't be determined from a few fuzzy photos.

That much is clear, but nevertheless the need of a neck reset seems likely to me, too.

As Ray said:

a tip: Bring it to some one who knows what they are doing...

Even on these low quality pictures, the separation of the neck is visible. It's not a simple lacquer crack: there is a gap visible at the heel.

Bence.

Hey guys thanks for all of the responses. I thought I had the topic set to notify me of posts but guess not. I'll check around and see if there are any locations that can complete a neck reset for me. I'm looking forward to getting it fixed and back to ripping!

Archived