Gibson Brands Forums

Pots in 335 satin?

Michael_J

Hey all,

I have a 335 satin from around 2013-2014. This has the bound neck and 57 Classics.

Anyone know what value pots were used at this time?

Regards,

Mike

In all likelihood, for a humbucker-equipped guitar it will have 500KOhm potentiometers for all controls. While I can't be certain; the volume controls would be audio / logartimic taper, while the tone controls will be a linear taper.

Thanks! For some reason, the 335 sounds great acoustically but the pickups are on the dark/muddy side of things.

Same pickups are in my 339 and sound much brighter. That guitar has the Memphis tone circuit. Not my favorite either, truth be told.

Thanks! For some reason, the 335 sounds great acoustically but the pickups are on the dark/muddy side of things.

Same pickups are in my 339 and sound much brighter. That guitar has the Memphis tone circuit. Not my favorite either, truth be told.

Sorry to hear that about your pickups sounding a bit muddy. Simple modifications / changes could involve changing the tone capacitors to different values might improve this, or changing the height of the pickup in the mounting ring.

In all likelihood, for a humbucker-equipped guitar it will have 500KOhm potentiometers for all controls. While I can't be certain; the volume controls would be audio / logartimic taper, while the tone controls will be a linear taper.

Just the other way round. Volume pots are likely to be linear taper on Gibsons while tone pots for sure will be audio taper.

Sorry to hear that about your pickups sounding a bit muddy. Simple modifications / changes could involve changing the tone capacitors to different values might improve this, or changing the height of the pickup in the mounting ring.

With the tone pots fully raised the capacitor value has zero effect on tone. The resistive load of the pot will affect the resonance much more.

Changing pickup height may have great impact on tone. Increasing string clearance will help in cleaning up tone. However, besides the player, strings and the guitar itself will always define what the pickups are offered for transduction.

Hey all, I happened to get a reply from Gibson customer service and wanted to share. My 335 is from 2012 and they state:

2 Volume(300K Linear), 2 Tone(500K Audio), 3-way selector switch

This is what most of my Gibsons with no coil switching options have stock, too. I'm fine with that.

Thank you for sharing! [thumbup]

Archived