Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special II

ES335Pro

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time posting. My wife bought me a LPS II last Feb 2016. I really like it. I have noticed it goes out of tune much easier than I recall guitars going out of tone but it's been 20 years since I have played. The G seems to slip sometimes so I considered replacing the machine heads. In my epiphone guide, it says all epiphones guitars & basses come with Grover machine heads. My question is, are these Grovers on my LPS II? It doesn't say so in the specs on the website.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I got one in 2013 and added a set of Grover 135N Guitar Tuners and a Tusq XL nut and it plays beautifully. A lot of people talk about upgrading the pickups but I think they sound good. I did go the route of putting on lighter strings at first but found that 10's or 11's sound better.

I got one in 2013 and added a set of Grover 135N Guitar Tuners and a Tusq XL nut and it plays beautifully. A lot of people talk about upgrading the pickups but I think they sound good. I did go the route of putting on lighter strings at first but found that 10's or 11's sound better.

Did you have to drill to get the Grovers to fit?

I've owned two of these and I'm 99.9999% certain that they were mahogany bodies. Epiphone have recently launched yet another 'limited edition' of the Special II, called the 'Vintage Edition'. These have poplar bodies with a worn/matt finish rather than gloss but the remainder of the important bits - neck, pick ups etc, seem to be unchanged.

I've owned two of these and I'm 99.9999% certain that they were mahogany bodies. Epiphone have recently launched yet another 'limited edition' of the Special II, called the 'Vintage Edition'. These have poplar bodies with a worn/matt finish rather than gloss but the remainder of the important bits - neck, pick ups etc, seem to be unchanged.

Thanks for the reply, Rookery.

I've read that the body and neck are mahogany, whereas some posters have said that the body is either alder or plywood. Which do you think it is?

Epiphone.com says mahogany & I have no reason to doubt them. I've always liked the tone mahogany seems to produce.,

Yes, I did have to drill out the holes a little. I put masking tape on the front and back and started the drill very slowly so I didn't chip the finish. A reamer is a better alternative as you can control it better but I didn't have one.

Also, I make my own nut sauce out of a little graphite powder mixed with lip balm.

Archived