Gibson Brands Forums

Information request: 2013 R9 Limited run Heavy aged Texas Burst

Hi!

I posted this in "The Performance Hall", but I hope it's OK to post it here as well since I'm looking for a bit more general information on a 2013 R9 Heavy aged Texas Burst that I just bought.

Got this 2013 Gibson LP R9 Heavy Aged Texas Burst a few days ago, and it has barely left my sore hands since it arrived:) It's a fantastic reissue with a great neck and playability, nice aging and a warm, "woody" vintage tone with a wonderful growl to it when I add some gain! Quite heavy (4,1 kg) but I don't mind;) This one is a pure joy to play!

According to the COA this guitar is one of only 25 worldwide in a Limited run:) I don't know so much more about it so if anyone here can shed some light over this 25 LP Limited run, I would be grateful!

I made a simple backing track and jammed away. I hope this short clip (even with a bit sloppy playing) can give you an idea of how it sounds and growls with my Bluesbreaker amp:)

Cheers!

Hi!

I posted this in "The Performance Hall", but I hope it's OK to post it here as well since I'm looking for a bit more general information on a 2013 R9 Heavy aged Texas Burst that I just bought.

Got this 2013 Gibson LP R9 Heavy Aged Texas Burst a few days ago, and it has barely left my sore hands since it arrived:) It's a fantastic reissue with a great neck and playability, nice aging and a warm, "woody" vintage tone with a wonderful growl to it when I add some gain! Quite heavy (4,1 kg) but I don't mind;) This one is a pure joy to play!

According to the COA this guitar is one of only 25 worldwide in a Limited run:) I don't know so much more about it so if anyone here can shed some light over this 25 LP Limited run, I would be grateful!

I made a simple backing track and jammed away. I hope this short clip (even with a bit sloppy playing) can give you an idea of how it sounds and growls with my Bluesbreaker amp:)

Cheers!

Sorry, I don't know anything about that guitar, but very cool sound, great tone and sustain!

Chances are that the limited run part of it is the particular finish combination; the Texas Burst with the heavy aging, likely done by the brilliant Tom Murphy.

Otherwise it would be close to an R9 Gloss / VOS / aged spec - CustomBucker pickups, and so on.

At least would be my understanding.

Thanks Pesh! I agree, and also think the CS made 25 Heavily aged R9's in a couple of different finishes. Perhaps 25 of this Texas burst, 25 of another finish etc. That's one of the things I think it would be interesting to know more about:)

Another thing is the choice of Grover tuners on this one. The tuners, the aging, neck profile and to some part the top and colour makes it quite similar to the CC#7 "Shanks". A friend of mine has a "Shanks", and we compared them and we both thought they were much alike.

I could only hope that Murphy had his hands on this one, but I don't think so. It's probably "factory" aging. Anyway, it's a great R9 and I'll contact Gibson service to try to find out some more.

Archived