Gibson Brands Forums

1984 Les Paul Studio, further ID and value, please?

The tuners have been replaced, and I can't find the original bridge pickup. What looks like white glare on the body is actually wear.

Strapped badly for cash and wondering what it's worth and maybe some advice on the best way to sell it. Craigslist?

Pics

Thanks in advance

Thanks, but is it a Studio Standard?

From wikipedia:

"Studio Standard

The Studio Standard was produced from 1983-1986 and was very similar to the Studio Custom, including the "dot" inlays, but had a single-ply binding around the body and neck, chrome hardware, and white pickup rings and pick guard. It was also available in different colors, such as Cherry Sunburst and Ferrari Red".

It seems to have mother of pearl dot inlays, and also the pickup rings and pick guard are all black. Are those all aftermarket too? What color is it?

I've had this since the early 90s... My daughter wants it.

Maybe I'll keep it, just really want the further identification.

Thanks again

just check eBay and see what similar studios are selling for? that will give you a pretty good idea on what they are currently fetching.

I think (but good if someone confirms) that is simply a regular Studio (i.e. neither a Studio Standard or a Studio Custom which were variations built at the same time while Gibson figured out what the role of the Studio actually was in their range - those listed on Wiki are variations to the base model). Its a 'player' guitar so as Ray said, whatever well worn 80's studios go for on eBay would be as good a guide as any assuming it all works fine. It looks cool anyway - good luck!

I think (but good if someone confirms) that is simply a regular Studio (i.e. neither a Studio Standard or a Studio Custom which were variations built at the same time while Gibson figured out what the role of the Studio actually was in their range - those listed on Wiki are variations to the base model). Its a 'player' guitar so as Ray said, whatever well worn 80's studios go for on eBay would be as good a guide as any assuming it all works fine. It looks cool anyway - good luck!

OK thanks, I wasn't aware of a "regular Studio"... somebody should update wikipedia heh.

I'm guessing that even though it's all screwed up with wrong tuners and missing original humbucker, and wear to the finish, since it's still so beautifully playable, it's probably still worth upwards of $300.

For that I can probably just hand it down to my ten year old daughter.

Thanks again.

ETA: Can anybody please confirm the color?

Archived