Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar for me!

Pesh

Hi all;

This is slightly overdue as I ordered this on June 22nd, and I have apparently been procrastinating a bit...

I offloaded a bunch of old and cheaply-obtained acoustics in various states of usability, that I did not care for, and replaced them with a single acoustic of better construction and quality.

I didn't want to spend an absolute ton of money and therefore settled on an Epiphone Limited EJ-200 Artist. It was a great decision.

>> Link to Epiphone product page <<

I gotta' tell you; this thing is percussive! It's almost entirely of Maple construction, with a Spruce soundboard. For something that cost me £145 (about 175 Euro, or $195 US), this is a fantastic instrument. I was expecting the neck to have binding as per the Andertons and Epiphone product pages, but still I'm rather happy. The tone is so well balanced in the big body at lower volumes and loud volumes too.

I might go on to give it a bone nut and bridge at some point, and I have a sound-hole pickup that fits that may of may not go into it if I start using it at shows.

I chose the solid black finish; with the gloss lacquer over the solid, deep ebony it looks fantastic. The other options were transparent, but felt a bit cheap to me, and was enough to put me off. Plus I'm a bit picky about scarf joints - I don't mind them if I can't see them, so the finish works well hiding that which I consider a bit of an eyesore.

A few obligation photos now, for your viewing pleasure...

00D10788-A94E-4526-B7EF-2FA9AF001FC5_zpsru9d3q0k.jpg

AA59AE1C-9751-484E-AFE3-029C9BB9A876_zpsdgkwgbze.jpg

302C7B88-1C14-4535-AB72-4EC716637B72_zpsabzsnuch.jpg

An outstanding acquisition! I recently picked up the sunburst version with the bound fretboard, and I'm amazed at the tone and volume. Haven't changed the saddle or nut, but did install a set of brass bridge pins. The pins added a lot to the overall response - went with chrome-over-brass to match the existing hardware. Been searching for a decent case that doesn't cost more than the guitar - so far without results;it deserves more than a bag for sure. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

I'm a sucker for Gibson models in ebony so this one is a real looker to me. Just wish the fretboard had the same cream binding as the body of the guitar.

An outstanding acquisition! I recently picked up the sunburst version with the bound fretboard, and I'm amazed at the tone and volume. Haven't changed the saddle or nut, but did install a set of brass bridge pins. The pins added a lot to the overall response - went with chrome-over-brass to match the existing hardware. Been searching for a decent case that doesn't cost more than the guitar - so far without results;it deserves more than a bag for sure. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

I was confused by the lack of binding, especially given that all the media shows it with a bound fretboard. But it's not a dealbreaker; the 'board on mine has nicely rounded edges and is a nice play. I too am tempted to get a good case for it, but not the Epiphone one. I've no doubt of the quality, but the look isn't great. Bridge pins are something else I might have a look at; so many options!

Archived