Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup identification

Style

Hi, a couple of months ago I found out a good deal in the internet. A guy wanted to sell a 1990 les paul standard in heritage cherry. The guitar was in mint condition and the price reasonable. I bought it. Once at home pulled out the pickups, just to look at the inside of the guitar and had a surprise. Instead of what i expected from a guitar of that period (490r and 498t pickups as stated in gibson literature) I had in bridge position the original hb-l pickup and in the neck position a pickup I am still trying to identify. It has chrome cover and sounds similar to a 57 classic, the dc resistance is 7.4 kohm. The odd thing is the backplate reporting the engraved pat # (as far as i know the 57 classic has the sticker "patent applied for"). I am sure it is not a 490r (it sounds different) and I am almost sure it is not a shaw (discontinued years before). Gibson service told my it is an aerly version of 57 classic. Anyone could help?

Gibson Burstbucker Pro (sim: BB1,Alnico5, potted) 7.4 KO

Gibson Burstbucker Pro (sim: BB2, Alnico5, potted) 8.0 KO

Gibson Burstbucker 1 (Alnico2) 7.5 KO

Gibson Burstbucker 2 (Alnico2) 8.0 - 8.4 KO

Gibson Burstbucker 3 (Alnico2) 8.2 - 8.8 KO

Gibson '57 Classic (Alnico2) 7.44 - 8.5 KO

Gibson '57 ClassicPlus (Alnico2) 9.0 - 13.8KO(the 9.0 appears to be a screw-up or faulty PU)

Gibson Dirty Fingers (2xCeramic) 16.0 -16.6 KO

Gibson Mini-humbucker (Alnico2) 6.0 - 6.4 KO

Gibson 490R (Alnico2) 7.2 - 7.83 KO

Gibson 490T (Alnico2) 7.9 - 8.53 KO

Gibson 498T (Alnico5) 12.32-13.46 KO

Gibson 496R (Ceramic) 8.3 - 8.63 KO

Gibson 500T (Ceramic) 14 – 15 KO

There are 4 pickups in the range of 7-8 ko. And you know the dc resistance is only indicative. As i told in the first post it is not a 490r and it is not a burstbucker pro because i know i those pickips (have them in other two les paul). Seems gibson put in the first thing found in a drawer (and luckly i have an historical piece) or build up a pickup with all the leftovers found on workbench. Or it is simply the first tom holmes projected 57 classic. If it sounds good that doesn't matter. But I want to know what I have to better value the guitar.

Archived